[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

I was out of pocket the better part of today, so I'm just now getting caught up with adding all the songs to the playlist. 55 wonderful and unique videos at last count. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to participate :) Now it's time to get caught up with listening to the latest entries!

Attention please: The Season 322 wrap up video has been posted. Otherwise, please carry on here with your Outlaw ways!

I havent had a chance to listen to anything yet. This is a quick one from Elizabeth Cook who I hadnt heard of but I found this really funny interview on the Letterman show.
I had to bring her to this week.

Excellent and funny video Linda :) The look on her face when she said "He was incarcerated" was priceless. Gotta love her honesty! Thanks for bringing a new artist to my attention and thanks for participating in my first week to host!

It's been a public holiday in Australia today.Anzac Day.A day we remember our Servicemen.
So having a day off I had a chance to do some recording.Here's an original called Drifting Luke's Highway.It has a couple of references to one of the original Outlaw Country singers.But the song is not really about him.There's a little pop quiz...who is the singer obliquely referenced?

Lyrics
Once was a little kid
a toy six shooter
then a working stiff
soon a high falooter

horizons were fingered
big wheels got scammed
and lesser gods carved me
as their drinking man

tell ya what the drinking man saw
Angelina walk out the door
a mantelpiece without any cards
and Christmas night in the cold fact bar

on Drifting Luke's highway
a downbeat of cars
us new broken hearted
unhitched from our stars

past sheet metal fairgrounds
five minutes from rust
and high wire girls
on rope they don't trust

that's a tough law you made
the half life when love fades
I drink at the morning I drink at the sky
the rear vision mirror never asks why

lost weekends in the valley
outlaws stealing dreams
Old Dali took my nightmares
Young Munch took the screams

no longer a little one
But I still bullet-hole signs
My Cadillac's waiting
just biding it's time

tell ya where the drinking man ends
on Drifting Luke's highway around every bend
shaking and laying in his next shotgun shack
one thing certain no-one's calling him back

The Steve Earle songs which have cropped up so far have set me off listening to him again, and this one jumped out at me. Definitely a contender for "song which I wish I had written" (financial considerations apart)

Tompall Glaser was highly influential as a performer, and behind the scenes, as the "Outlaw country" movement took place in the early to mid 70's. He owned a studio in Nashville affectionately known as "Hillbilly central", where all kinds of non-conformist type musical artists hung out and created their brand of music, along with all kinds of other shenanigans I am sure. Glaser had a huge business falling out with Waylon Jennings later on, but his contributions cannot, and should not, be forgotten. He was a real founding father of it. Here's a Tompall and the Glaser Brothers song I've always loved.

Hi Kevin! Hoping that this is "Outlaw Country"... I read somewhere that the Pistol Annies were "modern" Outlaw Country artists. The only even remotely authentic part of my "Country" performance is the hat ... I'm afraid I can't claim credit for the legs (I found them on the Internet.)

Last edited:
Ahoy everybody.
I am, again, experimenting with crossing genres. Today I was playing around with a couple of country songs and I wound up borrowing the chord progression for the verse and did 'Murder Was The Case' by Snoop Dogg.
This song is neither filthy nor exptelive like the last Snoop I did.
I hope you enjoy country Snoop

Last edited:
Written by Kris Kristofferson, Recorded by Johnny Cash. When I first heard this, it reminded me of my time in a bedsit, the year before I got married. I was working shifts at the time and the song captured the feel how it was for me the early part of that summer. (we got married in July)

The photos, as it says are of the Belvedere Palace in Vienna. It was the home of Prince Eugene of Savoy who was the Austrian General who fought alongside Malborough in the wars in the first decade of the 18th century. It's now an art gallery.

I havent had a chance to listen to anything yet. This is a quick one from Elizabeth Cook who I hadnt heard of but I found this really funny interview on the Letterman show.
I had to bring her to this week.

Excellent and funny video Linda :) The look on her face when she said "He was incarcerated" was priceless. Gotta love her honesty! Thanks for bringing a new artist to my attention and thanks for participating in my first week to host!

OMG I love this woman! I hunted around on Youtube and discovered that she does a full-on country version of the Dead Kennedys' Too Drunk to _______--well, it wasn't Pluck in the original (or in hers)!

Finally found the time to learn this Steve Earle tune that has been on my "to learn" list for a while. Earle wrote this song as a tribute to Townes Van Zandt shortly after the latter left us . . .

Doug Sahm was on that list, so I had to try one of his. I couldn't quite nail down the harmony vocals. Probably should have listened to it about 20 more times.

There's never enough Steve Earle right? lol I've always liked this song, but I never see anyone do it, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Top Bottom