[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

For Season of the Ukulele 323, we’re playing Outlaw Country. Yeah, we all know the big names, but really, who’s more of a Texican outlaw than Terry Allen, the Singin’ Sculptor? Here’s “My Ego Ain’t My Amigo Anymore” from his 1979 underground classic, “Lubbock On Everything”.
Played on tenor ukulele with singing. Overdubs of Ubass, harmony vocal, and synthesized marimba.

I could have posted this in Trent's bluegrass season but I may have used up my quota ...

Townes Van Zandt should get some love this week. Just about everybody's done this one, so I believe I will too.

Pull up a chair. A little more than 20 years ago, the San Francisco-based label HighTone Records put several of its best roots/alt-country bands on a bus and sent them across the country. The tour made a stop at the famous Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia, and I enjoyed one of the best nights of music of my life. The headlining group was Dave Alvin and his Guilty Men. The MC for the night was the Rev. Billy C. Wirtz (who's probably best described as a Redneck Tom Lehrer. Dude is hysterical). Also on the bill were Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys(!) and two up-and-comers, Dale Watson and Buddy Miller. The Guilty Men backed up everyone but the Rev. and Big Sandy. It was amazing.

So Buddy Miller comes out and he's introduced as this promising young songwriter from Nashville, who's being compared to a young Jim Lauderdale. That was pretty funny because Buddy's five years older than Jim. Dale Watson looked like he just fell off the back of a flatbed truck in Bakersfield. Dave and the GM brought the house down about four hours and many beverages later.

Buddy and Jim subsequently have done many things together. Buddy also has produced a ton of records, and was a member of Robert Plant's Band of Joy (along with Patty Griffin and Darrell Scott, among others). This is one he played that night in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. I can't do it justice but you should check out the original.

I would have loved to see that show. I do have the CD somewhere

What ON EARTH is "trip hop", Robin?????

It doesn't really matter. I just figured it was a genre that I was familiar with that not many others were. If you are looking for an example, here is a link.

I've gotta start the Season with a Willie Nelson cover, and I enlisted AJ, Shannon and Forte to bring it!

Here's a great Steve Earle song performed by Waylon and Willie on the Wanted: The Outlaws! compilation.

I hope this one is already here...I gotta go back and look. In any event, it’s a singalong so go get your ukes, k?

thanks for hosting this week Kevin
Townes song from the At My Window rekkid

Merkel Haggard is my only guess

EDIT: MERKEL HAGGARD! Now there's a novelty song begging to be written. I meant Merle Haggard

Merlin Hagrid? You're a wizard Harry122...

Macpherson's Rant

I suppose every country has songs about outlaws. This is a Scottish
ballad about a fiddle player called MacPherson who was an outlaw
and condemned to die. Before he is hung he plays a rant on his fiddle
then smashes it over a stone so no one can ever play the same tune
on it. A reprieve was coming from Banff, but they put the clocks
forward and hung him early. Ah the injustice of it all.

Hi folks.My first time in the seasons.Hope I've done this right.One of my originals.I think it suits the genre.One of my favourite musical paths.This is an old video but I edited it to add the SOTU info.Apologies if that's not ok. I'll do some fresh songs on this thread later I hope.
Anyway this one's about The Continental Outlaw - Rococo Jesse James. A sophisticated bandit who rides a sophisticated range!
Cheers John

Edit:whoops sorry just read the rules properly ..supposed to be newly recorded. Forgive me this once. Won't do any more old ones.

Last edited:
Hi folks.My first time in the seasons.Hope I've done this right.One of my originals.I think it suits the genre.One of my favourite musical paths.This is an old video but I edited it to add the SOTU info.Apologies if that's not ok. I'll do some fresh songs on this thread later I hope.
Anyway this one's about The Continental Outlaw - Rococo Jesse James. A sophisticated bandit who rides a sophisticated range!
Cheers John

Terrific performance and song John. Sure hope we hear a lot more from you here.
The tradition (we've been going for over 6 years) here on the seasons is that we bring songs newly recorded for the theme. I'm sure this week's host won't mind and will accept your vid in the spirit it was brought along.
Welcome to the seasons!

Cheers John

Edit:whoops sorry just read the rules properly ..supposed to be newly recorded. Forgive me this once. Won't do any more old ones.

Welcome to the seasons John, and thanks for this excellent song and performance. We'll let it slide this time, and I certainly hope to see more of your work here and in future seasons. Love the tone you're getting with the pick. . .

Monday morning here in Texas, and i've uploaded 22 videos at last count. Thanks for the wonderful entries so far and keep 'em coming ~

The wound that never heals

Southern Gothic from the the wrong eyed Jesus, AKA Jim White

Long about an hour before sunrise
She drags his body down to the edge of the swollen river
Wrapped in a red velvet curtain stolen from the movie theater where she works. Quiet as a whisper, under the stanchions of a washed-out bridge
she cuts him loose... And watches as the flood waters spin him around once,
then carry him away.
Then she removes the golden ring upon her finger... And she throws it in.
And I wonder; Baby why don't you cry? Baby why don't you...
Baby why don't you cry?

Three days later in a bar in southern Mississippi she meets a man
by the name of Charles Lee.
She introduces herself to him as "Lee Charles"
"What a coincidence." he says... And one week later they are married.
He wakes up one night six months down the line to find her staring at him
in the oddest way. When he says, "Honey, what's wrong?"
she says, "Oh nothing dear...except that tears are a stupid trick of God."
And by the time they find his body six weeks later...
Well hell, she's a thousand miles away.
Baby why don't you cry?

She runs from devils. She runs from angels.
She runs from the ghost of her father and five different uncles.
Blinded by their memory, seared by their pain,
she'd like to kill 'em all... Then kill 'em all again.
She don't think much about what she's done or the funny feelings that she feels. No, she don't. To her it's just a condition she picked up as a child...
A little thing she calls, "the wound that never heals",
she calls it, "the wound that never heals"
Baby why don't you cry?

Top Bottom