[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

People struggling with chord changes should give this one a try: it's a one-chord song! This is from Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Ahoy everybody
As wee_ginga_yin said in an earlier post then every country has it's outlaw songs; I decided to take that to heart and do an Icelandic song called 'Útlaginn' or 'The Outlaw' - it already sounds countryesque so... I hope you enjoy it.
I added subtitles like normally when I post Icelandic songs

Hello again.
I read that Outlaw Country is also about 'bucking the norm' when it comes to Country music. Bearing that in mind then I decided to try 'I Have Seen the Land Beyond' by Beck.
Usually when I hear 'country' this song comes to mind (along with Lonesome Whistle)

I'm a Hoyt Axton fan, and have been wanting to try this song for awhile. I don't think he's underappreciated as a songwriter, but as an artist himself to some degree I think he is. There was just nobody quite like him. He wasn't full bore Outlaw Country by a long shot, but he kinda was at times. To me he was several styles and genres rolled up into one.

This is probably a country song about an Outlaw more than Outlaw Country. Marty Robbins has the most well known version but Johnny Cash did it too so I figure it counts.

Reading a lot about mavericks being a hallmark of outlaw country so in that vein I've put a slightly rubbish and entirely unnecessary solo in the middle so it's come out a bit long. Sorry.

(Also my first ever garden video, yay!)

Gram Parsons belongs on that list. Just sayin...
That was about my first thought when I had a look at the list.
I always liked Sin City, a song that in Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is mentioned as one of the five best songs ever written.

Still looking for you -This is a wonderful TVZ cover..and nice cinematography too Mr Goat!

Hi folks.My first time in the seasons.Hope I've done this right.One of my originals.I think it suits the genre.One of my favourite musical paths.This is an old video but I edited it to add the SOTU info.Apologies if that's not ok. I'll do some fresh songs on this thread later I hope.
Anyway this one's about The Continental Outlaw - Rococo Jesse James. A sophisticated bandit who rides a sophisticated range!
Cheers John

Edit:whoops sorry just read the rules properly ..supposed to be newly recorded. Forgive me this once. Won't do any more old ones.

Welcome to the seasons John, and thanks for this excellent song and performance. We'll let it slide this time, and I certainly hope to see more of your work here and in future seasons. Love the tone you're getting with the pick. . .

Thanks Pa and Mez. Cheers for cutting me some slack on lazy rule reading.Won't happen again.Fresh is best from now on.

I liked a lot of stuff Hank Williams Jr. did from the early 70's thru the early 80's, he lost me at a certain point after that. My favorite album of his is probably "Hank Williams Jr" & Friends", which was when he first embraced the "Outlaw" style. The was the first song on that album. I gave it a shot.

Certainly some interesting names on the lastFM list...I reckon they are all fair game this week, but one I can’t let go.
Graham Lindsay. Graham made a song back when I was in college (and he was like eight) that I played on every show. My joy at seeing his name shared on the list had to be shared SOMEWHERE...and Mel was completely dis-interested.

You are all welcome.

Keeping up with Trent's playing is really hard, and even doing something so simple as I did, I still got lost a couple of times. Anyway, this is sort of a "novelty" song that came out when I was a teenager and we used to go around singing it in high school because songs like this annoyed our English teacher.

Certainly some interesting names on the lastFM list...I reckon they are all fair game this week, but one I can’t let go.
Graham Lindsay. Graham made a song back when I was in college (and he was like eight) that I played on every show. My joy at seeing his name shared on the list had to be shared SOMEWHERE...and Mel was completely dis-interested.

You are all welcome.

Once the singing started, I was laughing so hard I damn near fell out of my chair :)

Another Buddy Miller song, this one written by his wife Julie. I think I nearly wore this CD out when I got it. It brought me over into the world of Americana/outlaw country/new-traditional/whatever you call it completely.

This lastFM lost has some great stuff that is keeping me from doing every Merle Haggard song ever made...so itnisnlolely a good thing that you posted this rabbit hole. Some of my favorites made that list, this is a Mike Ness song.
One I really love.

Ed Bruce, who is still with us but isn't as active anymore as he once was, wrote a lot of songs and recorded some of them. He also did acting and commercial voice-overs. I remember him best from his co-starring role with James Garner in the early 80s remake of Maverick. His biggest hit was "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys" in 1975, which was covered by Waylon & Willie three years after Bruce's solo version.

Top Bottom