[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

Gday folks.Here's a Townes van Zandt on a Kala Tenor- Rex's Blues.And just a word of thanks to everyone who's made made me so welcome with nice comments on previous posts.A really good place here for people who just enjoy having a play and sing.

Kevin, can I get a ruling on Jay Farrar please? He is on the last FM list, but I’m happy to just bring more Willie if I have the time. Thanks.

By all means bring some Jay Ferrar Andy! Son Volt or solo are both fine! ! !

When Lynda (BEV) asked me if I would allow tenor guitars this week, it never occurred to me that I would be smitten by this four stringed instrument. But submissions from Lynda, Linda (Turtledrum) and Berni all featuring the tenor guitar really woke up my desire to get one. Then it occurred to me that my octave mandolin hadn't been played in years and the body was built and voiced to work in that tonal range. So I took a set of steel strings and converted my octave mandolin into a steel string baritone tuned a step down (CFAD). Here is a little taste ~ Pancho and Lefty was written by Townes Van Zandt, but it was made famous by quite a few of the artists on this weeks theme.

I've never had a problem with drugs, or drinking, or been in trouble with the law, so I don't have much to draw from for this song. "Don't mess with Texas" is the slogan of an anti-littering campaign that the state of Texas has been using for a long time.

Beautiful Texas Highways
Bluebonnets wave in the wind
I'm doin' my time on the highway
In a Hi-Viz showin' my sin

I was only having a little fun
But I was caught on closed-circuit TV
So the judge sentenced me to 6 months to life
Serving my community

They say don't mess with Texas
They say littering is a crime
But picking up bottles and empty beer cans
At least helps me pass the time

I didn’t know if I had anything for this Season. (I’m embarrassed to report that I have a little crush on David Allan Coe’s son, and Gentleman Caller had suggested I write a song about that. Ha ha ha.) This might fit the theme in a Thornton Rule way, depending on whether blackmail makes you an outlaw. I should have another song on Sunday that fits the Season better.

Rex's Johnny Paycheck song reminded me of this one. Another song that reminds me of listening to the AM radio when I was a kid. Johnny Paycheck's real name was Donald Lytle.

Crack open a Lone Star. (Or a Coca-Cola -- he's in the hamburger commercial.) Here's some Dale Watson.

What a great theme! Here is my first song for the week, my take on Lonesome Boy From Dixie, by Charlie Daniels. The character in the song wasn't an outlaw (he was a Southern Rebel soldier), but Charlie Daniels was on the list of appropriate artists, so I hope that counts.

I slowed it way down from a fast country/rock song to more of a ballad. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Last edited:
Here is my second song, Mama Tried, by Merle Haggard. I grew up listening to his songs (along with most of the other singers of this genre), so it was a chance to revisit some old favorites. I had fun with it. Hope you enjoy. :)

...And my third song, Seven Spanish Angels, originally recorded as a duet by Willie Nelson and Ray Charles. It was written by Troy Seals and Eddie Setser, and the third verse written by Ed Kehler. Thanks for listening, and once again, I hope you enjoy it. :)

I decided what this Season needs is some Commander Cody! I love this song, cause I tend to love overly maudlin stuff like this in general, though the recitation part was hard to pull off while playing.

Friday night here and according to the most recent count, I have uploaded 99 videos for this weeks "Outlaw Country" theme! Thanks to all of you for participating/listening and also for commenting on others videos. Off to listen to some of the latest entries :)

While hosting this week, i've discovered quite a few new songs. In this case, I discovered a well known song in it's original form. The Eagles are well known for their version of Seven Bridges Road, but I really quite enjoyed the original version as recorded by the songwriter himself ~ Steve Young. Learned and recorded this one in about 30 minutes, so it's a bit raw, but I liked the emotion.

One from the Swamp Fox.Tony Joe White.The High Sheriff of Calhoun Parish. I've seen him a couple of times in smallish venues in Oz.Put on a great show.

Here's my last one for the week.It's been a blast.I'll probably never post this many again.But it's been a combination of debut enthusiasm and a theme I relate to.Thanks again.This is an original on Kala Tenor.

Lyrics
she left her hometown,
Kept her hometown blues
Sat deep in her eyes
Best Western motel
On Saturday night
Ceiling fan can hypnotize

Kiss in the steeple
From Johnny B Bad
The chivalrous rescue
From Sir Galahad
Pony tail love