[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

Another from Waylon, written by Steve Young

Hmmm, two in a row. I must like this theme.

This one is a song from Guy Clark, that perhaps Jerry Jeff Walker made more popular, or perhaps not.

Ahoy good people.
Today I recorded Hank Williams Sr. "(I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle"
It may not be fully 'outlaw' but it is a tune that has some troubles in it.

Superb song by Townes van Zandt, covered by Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Rosanne Cash... etc, etc. (Those are the ones I listened to)

With Gram Parsons, I wasn't so sure, wheter this is the right place for one of his songs, but the singer of the following song is mentioned in the Wikipedia list of early outlaws directly after Waylon Jennings. He's one of the few non-classical guitar players using a nylon string guitar, Trigger it's called.
But instead of trying to copy the feeling, he gives to his song, I decided to record it in my own style, which is rather based on Italian mandolin-tremolo.

Greetings,

Well, not sure if a rebel is an outlaw but recorded this number anyway on the little uke and banjolele double track. I liked it, no excuses, just me and that's kinda all there is.

Ciao

I havent had a chance to listen to anything yet. This is a quick one from Elizabeth Cook who I hadnt heard of but I found this really funny interview on the Letterman show.
I had to bring her to this week.

Here a very clever song by her.

I don't know how country this is. But it certainly is about some people considered outlaws and bandits by the Government (of Franco) - the Maquis - the organised guerrillas who tried to be a thorn in Franco's side until the late 1950s.

As they were forced to largely live out in the country... I hope you can accept it as a "country song" ;). It is played on my Tenor Guitar (tuned GDAD) I had hoped to add a mandolin-like lead with my 8 string ukulele, but I have a busy week ahead and a gig on Saturday, so I reckon this will be my only contribution this week.

Here it is:

Four Outlaw Country boys for the price of one.Willie, Johnny, Kris and Waylon. With one urban cowboy thrown in-the great writer Jimmy Webb .
The Highwayman on Kala Baritone.
Thanks everyone for those nice comments on my youtube page for my earlier original song post.Do people tend to comment on the youtube pages rather than within the thread? I don't want to clog up the thread too much by commenting on others within the thread if that's not necessarily what people do.
Cheers

This is a song I used to play on our Kimball electronic organ when I was a kid. Then one day, instead of playing the melody, I played only the chords and sang along with it. My mother was not pleased. "Why can't you just sing nice songs like Take Me Home Country Roads," she said. Anyway, this has been a favorite of mine for some reason since I was quite young.

Certainly some interesting names on the lastFM list...I reckon they are all fair game this week, but one I can’t let go.
Graham Lindsay. Graham made a song back when I was in college (and he was like eight) that I played on every show. My joy at seeing his name shared on the list had to be shared SOMEWHERE...and Mel was completely dis-interested.

You are all welcome.

I thought I was the only one who ever bought that tape.

Do people tend to comment on the youtube pages rather than within the thread?
yeah, mostly - i put the occasional comment about a vid here on the thread, usually if i'm totally swooning about something and wanna draw people's attention to it! but mostly i comment on the youtube vid pages, most people here do - as you say if we all put all our comments on all the vids we watch here, it could get really busy and crazy!

Top Bottom