[B]Season #323 ~ Outlaw Country Music[/B]

Probably should have been around in the 70s and 80s. I love this music.

.............................................................................................................

I've never been first before. Hope you're feeling OK, Pa!

Only fitting you be first if you love the music Rusty.
I had the Hellbound Glory song ready to go but decided to write one about our Ned.

I get the feeling that this is gong to be another great week. Glad to see that Steve Earle was on the list - this one was sitting in my song pile waiting its turn.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh supercool!

i see neko case on the list of artists on that wiki page, i watched alot of her vids when i was checking out the world of tenor guitar, here's a cute one! (cute guitar, and cute vid!)

(neko plays tenor guitar tuned dgbe like a bari uke)

Neko Case #swoon

Lemme think if I like this theme or not.....LOVE IT! Expect some more Coe out of me this week, along with other stuff. I think this is the best Outlaw Country song David Allan Coe ever did, and if not his best, at least the most entertaining. This was my 2nd take. I found out quick that this song takes a tremendous amount of wind to pull off, so there wasn't gonna be too many more takes, unless I took like a good 5 minute break in between them.

What ON EARTH is "trip hop", Robin?????

It is stuff like Massive Attack amd Portishead and such.
I wouldn't mind experimenting with some trip hop. I have tried Wandering Star with Portishead on the Uke but haven't gotten it down yet.

Like last season, I'm with Val. I've never even heard of this genre, let alone have any idea of what sort of music it is. Thanks for the list. I'll need it. If this happens 3 weeks in a row, I'm definitely going to host a trip hop season, though ;)

That would definitely be a new genre for me discover Robin!

Merkel Haggard is my only guess

EDIT: MERKEL HAGGARD! Now there's a novelty song begging to be written. I meant Merle Haggard

Mutti would like it nicht (that's a macaronic statement :eek:ld:)

Gram Parsons belongs on that list. Just sayin...

Couldn't Agree more! I was shocked not to see his name on the list. He may have gotten grouped in with Country Rock artists like the Eagles etc. but he was definitely more of a maverick in both his lifestyle and songwriting!

Hag up ? I give up, what's a Hag up ?

Reference to Merle Haggard! He and Willie were considered among the founding fathers, but they would likely point to Billy Joe Shaver, Steve Young and others who came before them as their inspirations.

Pull up a chair. A little more than 20 years ago, the San Francisco-based label HighTone Records put several of its best roots/alt-country bands on a bus and sent them across the country. The tour made a stop at the famous Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia, and I enjoyed one of the best nights of music of my life. The headlining group was Dave Alvin and his Guilty Men. The MC for the night was the Rev. Billy C. Wirtz (who's probably best described as a Redneck Tom Lehrer. Dude is hysterical). Also on the bill were Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys(!) and two up-and-comers, Dale Watson and Buddy Miller. The Guilty Men backed up everyone but the Rev. and Big Sandy. It was amazing.

So Buddy Miller comes out and he's introduced as this promising young songwriter from Nashville, who's being compared to a young Jim Lauderdale. That was pretty funny because Buddy's five years older than Jim. Dale Watson looked like he just fell off the back of a flatbed truck in Bakersfield. Dave and the GM brought the house down about four hours and many beverages later.

Buddy and Jim subsequently have done many things together. Buddy also has produced a ton of records, and was a member of Robert Plant's Band of Joy (along with Patty Griffin and Darrell Scott, among others). This is one he played that night in the Washington, D.C. suburbs. I can't do it justice but you should check out the original.

Top Bottom