NUUD: Kinnard Soprano: a dream came true!

Kanya

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me sharing my joy with you. Some time ago, I got to know the 'ukuleles made by John S. Kinnard. My husband was lucky to buy a mint Kinnard Concert from a friend of ours in Switzerland and some weeks later, I had the opportunity of acquiring a used Kinnard Tenor. I really love these two, but due to being a very small person (~5ft1in) with tiny hands and extremely short fingers, I simply feel more at ease on the short scale of a soprano. I however prefer somewhat larger bodies ... This is why I started dreaming of a Kinnard Soprano.

After having missed one that was sold by a forum member last year, I got an email some weeks ago: our dear friend from Switzerland dropped me a note that a Kinnard Soprano had been advertised for sale here in the marketplace section. I immediately contacted the seller ... After some conversation, it turned out that I would need some assistance in order to get a chance to buy this instrument. I'm in Europe and I perfectly understand that people sometimes prefer to sell their instruments locally instead of having to deal with the issues involved when selling internationally. But I had fallen in love with this instrument and this is why I had to take my courage in both hands and ask someone for help ... To my great surprise, the only person I knew who I could probably ask immediately agreed to help me! It's incredible, but he made my dream come true: my Kinnard Soprano arrived last night!

I'm very grateful to be the owner of a Kinnard Soprano now which only became possible because two great guys helped me: thank you very much, Eddie and Rainer, for making this possible! I really appreciate what you did for me!

I'm not a good photographer, but I'd nevertheless like to show you some photos of my dream:

20180422_193834.jpg20180422_193931.jpg20180422_193902.jpg

After playing it for some minutes, I all of a sudden had an idea: up to now, I had only played in re-entrant tuning, but I simply had the thought that this 'ukulele might sound great in low G. Today, I changed the strings (Living Water Strings + one of these Fremont squeakless wound low G strings). This little guy sounds even more amazing now and I consider myself very lucky to have been given the chance to purchase this dream thanks to some great people here ...

Last edited:
... To me, it's a strange coincidence that my new Kinnard Soprano looks somewhat like the "little sister" of my Kinnard Tenor:

Attachments

• 20180422_194103.jpg
    20180422_194103.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180422_194148.jpg
    20180422_194148.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180422_194013.jpg
    20180422_194013.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
... and this is our "Kinnard family":

Attachments

• 20180422_194230.jpg
    20180422_194230.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 63
Congratulations on getting the ukulele of your dreams!
Its certainly very lovely.

It is wonderful that you at last got the Kinnard soprano you sought. With three Kinnards in the house you will be generating some good exposure for Kinnard in Europe.

Many hours of fine music to you!

Love the comparison photos- thanks so much for posting.

I too was so very fortunate to be able to acquire a Kinnard Soprano that I love to bits. And I also owe a huge thanks to Eddie.....And I too put a low g string on it just to experiment. Liked it so much it is still on there.

To me, Kinnards really are like no other ukes in terms of tone and playability. To have 3 is truly a wonderful opportunity. I had seen the posting in the marketplace and really wanted to be able to indulge myself but just couldn’t swing it- so glad it worked out for you! Enjoy.

What a stunning instrument. I am thrilled that it all came together with the help of good people. Congratulations and THANK YOU for sharing some of your joy here. I am smiling like a fool thinking about how amazing the ukulele community is.

Awesome instruments! You guys should form a group and start gigging with them; you could call yourselves "Linnard Kinnard".

Congratulations, Katja! I'm happy I was able to play my very small part in making this dream come true, and glad that I got to see and play this little gem on its way to you. What a great forum to connect friendly and helpful people from all over the world!

Wow...Congrats! That soprano lower bout looks almost as wide as the tenor, and it looks deeper than the tenor too! Must be a BIG sound!

The lower bout of the soprano has the same dimensions as the one of the concert, but the depth seems to be the same in all three instruments. I really dig the large body of my soprano which makes it very comfortable to play. But the large body also adds to the sound.

I hope you don't mind me sharing my joy with you...

Of course not, that's what this forum is all about! Congrat's!!! What woods were used to build it? :shaka:

Of course not, that's what this forum is all about! Congrat's!!! What woods were used to build it? :shaka:

Claro walnut back and sides (highly figured), walnut neck, WRC top, koa binding.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new baby!
What a lovely ohana of ukes...
I have to admit, I'm a tad envious.

Here are some better photos: thanks to Kevin from KinnardUkes for forwarding them to me ...

Attachments

• Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_002.jpg
    Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_002.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_025.jpg
    Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_025.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_037.jpg
    Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_037.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_044.jpg
    Kinnard Phanstiel Soprano_2015-05-25_044.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'm so glad that the ukulele made its way to you, and that it's working out well for you. It's a beautiful ukulele, and deserves to be played a lot.
Kinnards are amazing ukuleles, and you have a great collection.
Enjoy!

Thank you very much! It really inspires my playing: I feel so much at ease on the short scale of this soprano and I have fallen in love with the warm sound which is so much bigger than what I've ever heard in a soprano. This instrument is a dream for me and I feel blessed to have been entrusted with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom