Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New D'Addario Micro Tuner - Clip Free

Default New D'Addario Micro Tuner - Clip Free

Hi!

I have a quick question. I've used the D'Addario/Planet Waves Clip-On Micro Tuner as well as their soundhole tuner - both of which I really like. But the soundhole doesn't work on my current uke and I don't like having to take the clip-on off and on. Since I bring my OU with me quite a bit it would be easy for any clip-on tuner to potentially get knocked off, even one as small as the micro tuner.

I noticed that D'Addario has introduced a new "clip free"tuner just this year based upon their already established Micro Tuner mentioned above that looks like it would be perfect. Instead of clipping on, the tuner comes with a screw that replaces one of the screws that hold the headstock tuners on the uke. That way, it's always there, can't get knocked off, can't be seen from the front, basically - perfect for what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else used this yet? Being new to uke, I've never changed out geared tuner or anything so, while I'm assuming there's no reason that screw wouldn't work with my uke, I wanted to get your thoughts on it. Does anyone see a reason this shouldn't work on an Outdoor Ukulele?

Any thoughts you have would be brilliant! I'm including a link below so you can see the tuner, since, as they say, "a picture is worth a 1000 words"! Thanks so much in advance!

http://www.accessories.daddario.com/...productid=1156

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...RoCTHsQAvD_BwE

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...4MF-adType^PLA
    Last edited by lifereinspired; 04-23-2018 at 09:19 AM.

That looks like just the ticket for many applications. I have 3 or 4 of those micro tuners that clip on and I like them but this looks like a more elegant solution.

I'll just stick with my original Micro clip-on tuners because most of my ukes don't have tuners that have screws.
    Last edited by Camsuke; 04-23-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typoo
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Two of my D’Addario tuners developed a buzz...and that would keep me from mounting it (somewhat permanently) on the headstock. I very much like the Roadie 2, which I use at school (MUCH more expensive) and I am intrigued by a similar product by JoWoon that was reviewed by Daniel Hulbert (Circuits and Strings). That said, these “gun” tuners won’t work with a friction tuner...but I’m always open to investing in more Gotoh UPTs.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Two of my D’Addario tuners developed a buzz...and that would keep me from mounting it (somewhat permanently) on the headstock. I very much like the Roadie 2, which I use at school (MUCH more expensive) and I am intrigued by a similar product by JoWoon that was reviewed by Daniel Hulbert (Circuits and Strings). That said, these “gun” tuners won’t work with a friction tuner...but I’m always open to investing in more Gotoh UPTs.
    I have to admit that Roadie 2 looks amazing but I can't really justify the price right now. I searched for the other one that you mentioned but couldn't find it.

For now, the little D'Addario will work for me and if it's screwed on, I never have to worry about not having it with me or having it get knocked off. I do know what you mean about the buzz. Our clip on is only a month or two old and started doing that 2 days ago. I now take if off when I play. I assume it's because of the clamp mechanism.

Does anyone see a reason that the new screw on tuner wouldn't work with an Outdoor Ukulele? Obviously the tuner have screws so that shouldn't be an issue but I don't have a way of checking the threading. Do most tuners of this style all use the same type screws with the same threading?

Hmmm, not so good for ukes with friction or UPT tuners.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Two of my D’Addario tuners developed a buzz...
    I had posted about the solution to this a while back when it happened to me - it seems the buttons are the culprit that is what is vibrating - you can use any kind of tape, from one side, over the top to the other side of the tuner head, and this will silence the buzz, which is usually in the buttons themselves...

Yes, the tape goes over the top and with a gentle amount of tension will prevent the buttons from vibrating.

Quote Originally Posted by lifereinspired View Post
    ...For now, the little D'Addario will work for me and if it's screwed on, I never have to worry about not having it with me or having it get knocked off...
    See my comment here to Choriguy about the buzzing.

You can also mount your EXISTING NS-Micro tuner using either some blue FUNTACK putty or some 3M Foam Mounting Squares...I have done both with great success.

The FUNTAK comes off easy enough an does not mar the finish. The 3M foam squares have an adhesive, but the residue is easy to remove with a fingernail.

To use either, just slide the tuner head off the little clamp bracket, and then apply the fixer of your choice and then stick it on.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Fun-T...dp/B001F57ZPW/

https://www.amazon.com/3M-311DC-Moun...dp/B000KKPHZ8/
    Please click here ->Just the FAQs<- to be taken to the FAQ index so you can learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

I was considering the soundhole tuner for my Outdoor Ukulele's... no workie? How come?

Thanks!
    They call me Mister Sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    I had posted about the solution to this a while back when it happened to me - it seems the buttons are the culprit that is what is vibrating - you can use any kind of tape, from one side, over the top to the other side of the tuner head, and this will silence the buzz, which is usually in the buttons themselves...

Yes, the tape goes over the top and with a gentle amount of tension will prevent the buttons from vibrating.

See my comment here to Choriguy about the buzzing.

You can also mount your EXISTING NS-Micro tuner using either some blue FUNTACK putty or some 3M Foam Mounting Squares...I have done both with great success.

The FUNTAK comes off easy enough an does not mar the finish. The 3M foam squares have an adhesive, but the residue is easy to remove with a fingernail.

To use either, just slide the tuner head off the little clamp bracket, and then apply the fixer of your choice and then stick it on.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Fun-T...dp/B001F57ZPW/

https://www.amazon.com/3M-311DC-Moun...dp/B000KKPHZ8/
    I did the same with a small piece of electrical tape. Disappears as it is black like the tuner. Works perfectly on about 8 of ours that buzzED.
    SOPRANOS: ..Kiwaya KTS-4, Famous FS-5G, Favilla U2, Bruko #6, Outdoor, Pepe Romero XS, Recording King RUC-9TS, Kamaka White
    TEARDROP: . Favilla 1920s
    CAMP UKE: ., Lyons & Healy 1920s
    CONCERTS: ..Kala KA-CG, Bruko Maple, KoAloha KCM-00
    TENORS: ......Bruko Cedar over Zebrawood, Pono RTSH-PC, Pono AT,
    .....................KoAloha Pikake KTM-10, Kanilea K1-T
    BARITONES: .Pono ABD, Kala KA-KBE-C
    BANJOLELES: TFW, 1920s HSB
    GUITALELE:.. Islander GL6

Sold: Flea, Amahi, Gianinni

I looked at these "screw in" tuners when they first came out a few months ago. And while I like the idea of the tuner being more secure on the headstock, I'm skeptical that you will ever have enough room on the back of a uke headstock for it to fit as well as it does in the photo below, without sticking out to the side where it will quickly get broken off.

But if anyone has mounted one on a uke with good results please do post a photo.

Thread Information