Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New D'Addario Micro Tuner - Clip Free

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Do you have to remove the tuner to replace the battery? If so, that means removing and replacing the screw each time. Eventually, you'll have to stick a toothpick in there to repair the stripped-out hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Good idea. With that screw on, can you slide the tuner body off the mounting post to change the battery, or need to unscrew it?
    The battery is accessed from the back curved side, which can be done while in place, but it also slips off the mount easily enough just like all the micro-tuners. I have the standard version and a violin version, it now also comes in a clip version. The designers did a great job to allow for multiple mounts.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

So every time you need to change the battery, you have to remove your tuning peg as well? How long before that starts rattling and you need a bigger screw or whatever?
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Famous FS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    So every time you need to change the battery, you have to remove your tuning peg as well? How long before that starts rattling and you need a bigger screw or whatever?
    No. The battery slides out the back of the microtuner.

I would have to pass. I own two of the clip-on ones and they buzz like crazy.
    | Kamaka HF-3 Tenor | Martin 1 Tenor | Kamaka HB-2DS Ohta-san | Martin 2 Tenor |

Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleSprinter View Post
    I would have to pass. I own two of the clip-on ones and they buzz like crazy.
    I guess I have been lucky but, I own 3 or 4 of them and none have ever buzzed.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I guess I have been lucky but, I own 3 or 4 of them and none have ever buzzed.
    I have 15 or so, and none have ever buzzed, or broken (unlike my Snark tuners, which I really liked until they started snapping off, and/or losing the rubber(ish) foot...)

As to the photo that shows the tuner on the Kala uke, the positioning is stupid. Why on the G string tuner? It could make far more sense to mount it on either the C or E string tuner, toward the top of the tuning head, where there is no interference with either the neck or the tuners. Likewise the photo on the Bass - mount it on the A string tuner, where it interferes with nothing.

Personally, I use the clip-ons, and just leave them on the ukes.

-Kurt
    Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    You can also mount your EXISTING NS-Micro tuner using either some blue FUNTACK putty or some 3M Foam Mounting Squares...I have done both with great success.

The FUNTAK comes off easy enough an does not mar the finish. The 3M foam squares have an adhesive, but the residue is easy to remove with a fingernail.

To use either, just slide the tuner head off the little clamp bracket, and then apply the fixer of your choice and then stick it on.
    That is brilliant! I had given up on the darn things, because they kept popping off unexpectedly. The last straw came while I was practicing out on my patio, and I saw two of my cats in the distance batting around a small black object that I assumed was a PVC plug that had come loose from a chair. After a few minutes, something made me look under my headstock - and sure enough, the tuner was missing, and had become the cats' momentary plaything. Fortunately, they didn't break it!

I'm taking off these useless clamps and replacing them with double-sided tape, which I have here in abundance already. That way, they will be even more invisible from in front, too. Thank you!

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; 04-24-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Looks like a good idea. I would not use it on your Outdoor Ukulele. If you strip that screw hole in the plastic, you may end up with serious problems. Stick with what you've got.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thread Information