Adding a pickguard

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I have a vintage Martin soprano, whose top is in great shape, and I want to keep it that way, and not look like this one below, after a few years. I have a vigorous strum, and the last one I had got significant nail strum wear on the top in only a few months. I was thinking of getting one of those clear plastic screen protectors for an iPad, custom cutting it around the fretboard extension, and covering the top bouts all the way down to just above the soundhole rosette. Has anyone here tried this on a vintage Martin (40's)? How how well did the screen protector stick on? I don't want to use any type of additional adhesive, want it to be removeable/replaceable, and I'm not sure if those generic screen protectors will cause issues with the old finish. I've read some of the pickguard threads here, but didn't see any mention of using these screen protectors on an old Martin finish.

I know, I know, about the vintage mojo, and how every scratch will be mine, tell a story etc., but I just prefer to protect the instrument from the ravages of my pointer unleashed.

Strum wear.JPG

Last edited:
That photo kind of looks like my Concert. I just started to refinish that area. I'll post the results later as I didn't take a before shot. I've no experience with pick guards.

I have used iPad screen protectors as pick-guards or scratch-guards on MANY instruments.

You can usually find a 3-pack for like $5 with free shipping on eBay, Amazon or a few $ shipping on macsales.com...

For ukulele, I can make 3 pickguards from a single screen protector, and for guitar, usually only 2.

They are the SAME materials use for what is sold for flamenco guitars, but about 300x CHEAPER.

Yes I am a frugal SOB, and if you have the patience to use an Exacto knife, razor blade or a scissor for like 5 mins of your time, you dont have to pay $9 or $30 for the dedicated item, just by cutting it yourself.

These screen protectors are removable and had not left behind any residue in the 3 yrs I've been using them, but YMMV so you assume all risk and I am not responsible for if any damage occurs. I can only share how it has worked for me.

This topic has a history on other stringed instrument boards. The commentary was generally "user beware." The stick-on pick guards and the type of finish on the instrument may not be compatible, especially if the stick-on is left on the instrument for days/weeks/months at a time. Before using one of these stick-ons a little bit of due-diligence may be in order, especially with costlier instruments. That "temporary" stick-on could end up being unintentionally permanent.

Since I use a pick all the time I looked at a stick-on for my Martin T1K and, Martin tenor guitar. In the end, I decided against it. I haven't ruled out pick guards for these, but for now I just don't want to reduce the risk of pick damage by risking damage to the finish from an adhesive substance. For the other ukes, it depends on the finish. If the finish is a hard laquer, then the risk seems minimal, but then there may not be a need due to the hardness of the finish. For soft woods that are lightly finished, an inquiry to the manufacturer/builder may be worth the effort.

Top Bottom