Baby baritone

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
English walnut back and sides, khayim neck, leadwood fingerboard, head plate and bridge, bright cellulose finish to body, satin to neck, enclosed geared tuners, corian nut and saddle. 475mm scale length....

BB Walnut1.jpg

BB Walnut3.jpg

BB Walnut4.jpg

Throaty, loud and lovely to play. Just the ticket for recidivist guitarists :)

Last edited:
Sounds delicious - don't you love autocorrect? Lovely looking instrument, must be fairly heavy strings to account for the shorter scale?
475mm=18.7" . I like 19-inchers so I'm sure I'd like this. It is a bit of on odd scale length though. Just curious, how did you arrive at that? And yes, what strings/tunings are on it?

Last edited:
Jim - the whole point of this instrument was to make it 10% bigger than my standard tenor, figuring this is how the soprano got to be a tenor! It just so happens that this was a truly inspired 'plucked out of the air' figure because it works so well. Hear it here at about 10 minutes in. My PD makes playing very harsh so it's not a good example oft he sound plus the phone is 'clipping' the volume all the time!

I string it with D-Addario 38w + 30w, Worth Brown E and C from my tenor set (don't have the gauge to hand). Tuned DGBE low to high. Also note, smaller body, radical taper from butt to neck and tight 8' spherical curve to the back. I'm basically challenging the '19" scale length deep body for baritone ukulele' paradigm.

Last edited:
"10% bigger than tenor" - got it. On the computer screen, it is pretty hard to see the difference between this one and the "California tenor" on your site - proportions and shapes are so similar. Well done,sir! :cool:

Top Bottom