Three Guitalele Videos...Southcoast EFS style...

love that guitalele!
:cheers:

You sure make that GL-1 sing. I never could adjust to the tightly spaced fingerboard on mine... I simply can't make most of the chord shapes.

You are living proof that it can indeed be done! It blows my mind every time I see one of your videos.

I'll go give it another try...:cool:

Last edited:
You sure make that GL-1 sing. I never could adjust to the tightly spaced fingerboard on mine... I simply can't make most of the chord shapes.

Thank you, and thank you to the rest of you who commented. I agree that the fingerboard is a bit cramped. I try to press strings down with fingertips pointed straight at the board. Sometimes it works just fine, but there are chords I just don't manage, such as straight A major, which is next to impossible to get right. As a barre chord, it's easier. What I like about the Southcoast E to E tuning (strings 4,5,6 one octave up) is the haunting kinda high pitched sound and tone. The re-entrant quality of that tuning makes the instrument an instrument in its own right...in my opinion, anyway. It's not a miniature guitar, and neither is it a uke in the traditional sense. It has its own voice, so to speak. And besides, I love blues on nylon strings, which I think more players should try...

I had classical guitar lessons for a very short while when I was a kid, but never got the hang of it. When I discovered blues, I listened to a lot of old acoustic blues guitar stuff, like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake and the like. Later, I discovered the great John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Peter Lang and other American Primitive Guitar heroes. Nowadays, I listen to Daniel Bachman, the guitar duo East Of The Valley Blues and others. When I try to play guitar myself, I feel clumsy, and almost never get it right. The guitalele, however, fits me like a glove. I really, really like it.

Last edited:
Thank you, and thank you to the rest of you who commented. I agree that the fingerboard is a bit cramped. I try to press strings down with fingertips pointed straight at the board. Sometimes it works just fine, but there are chords I just don't manage, such as straight A major, which is next to impossible to get right. As a barre chord, it's easier. What I like about the Southcoast E to E tuning (strings 4,5,6 one octave up) is the haunting kinda high pitched sound and tone. The re-entrant quality of that tuning makes the instrument an instrument in its own right...in my opinion, anyway. It's not a miniature guitar, and neither is it a uke in the traditional sense. It has its own voice, so to speak. And besides, I love blues on nylon strings, which I think more players should try...

I had classical guitar lessons for a very short while when I was a kid, but never got the hang of it. When I discovered blues, I listened to a lot of old acoustic blues guitar stuff, like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake and the like. Later, I discovered the great John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Peter Lang and other American Primitive Guitar heroes. Nowadays, I listen to Daniel Bachman, the guitar duo East Of The Valley Blues and others. When I try to play guitar myself, I feel clumsy, and almost never get it right. The guitalele, however, fits me like a glove. I really, really like it.

brother, you reference some of my guitar heroes here.
the soul shines in your music, whatever instrument you're playing.
i think it is fair to say you are a hero to many of us on this forum.
don't ever stop, Doc. thank you for all you share with us man.

What I like about the Southcoast E to E tuning (strings 4,5,6 one octave up) is the haunting kinda high pitched sound and tone. The re-entrant quality of that tuning makes the instrument an instrument in its own right...in my opinion, anyway. It's not a miniature guitar, and neither is it a uke in the traditional sense. It has its own voice, so to speak. And besides, I love blues on nylon strings, which I think more players should try...

Thanks Dr...I'll give those Southcoast EFS style E to E strings a try on mine. I refuse to give up on my GL-6...at least not yet!

It's the perfect little traveler.

I absolutely love your drone blues playing and vibe on "Way Up In The Woods".

William

Last edited:
Top Bottom