Ebay find: will this Nut position actually work?!

Bales1983

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the evenings i can often be found perusing eBay, mostly to see whats out there and also teetering on the edge of succumbing to the ever present UAS!

Ive see some beautiful instruments Id more than likely put in a glass case and be afraid to actually play but ive also seen the weird and wonderful! Which brings me to this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPARKLY-...174610?hash=item467b4a4112:g:CecAAOSwWwVa36WB

Please do indulge me on this, note the nut! It would appear to be wildly away from the area i would usually expect it to be in!

Is this going to work? (not actually thinking of buying no fear) If so then how? and if not what will be the general problem? I'm assuming fret buzz and intonation issues to say the least!

(yes im picking up some musical physics understanding too here on the quiet :) )

Best

Lee

At that price (~$11.20) you should probably just be grateful that they even include a nut, regardless of position!

First, a joke: What has four legs, and an udder, says "moo", and sees equally well from both ends?

A blind cow.

That ukulele will work equally well no matter where you put the nut.

Last edited:
First, a joke: What has four legs, and an utter, says "moo", and sees equally well from both ends?

A blind cow.

That ukulele will work equally well no matter where you put the nut.

That's "utterly" ridiculous!

Looks like they took the strings of to paint it, the nut fell out, & they didn't have a clue where it should go when they put the strings back on! :wallbash:

I'd beware of their opinion that this is a 'good beginner uke' - might make a nice looking wall hanging clock though. :rofl:

In moving the nut like that they've changed the scale length - made it longer. So, all of the frets will be in the wrong position. To answer your question, heck no it won't work!

Maybe the builder was conscientious about the nut-to-12th-fret and 12th fret-to-saddle distance. Moving the nut higher would keep the saddle from going too far down the bottom of the lower bout.

Judging by the second picture, I think that's the case because the 12th fret seems to be dead center between the nut and the saddle. I made a precise measurement by holding a pencil up to my monitor and marking the position with my thumb and forefinger. That's the same way engineers make their measurements, right? A battery-powered vacuum should be supplied with that. : )

I was sorry to see that they will not "post" to the USA. :(

Last edited:
You think the £15 glitter ukulele had a conscientious builder? Jerry, mate, it's one of those ultra cheap Martin Smith type ukes that someone's painted and the nut fell off.

It is entirely possible you're joking, of course, in which case I have risen to the bait gloriously! :D

Top Bottom