Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are tenor ukuleles rare or just very sought after

Default Are tenor ukuleles rare or just very sought after

I was looking at prices for electric/acoustic tenor ukuleles
    and so far I haven't seen a very large selection also prices are high for any good names. I heard they are just like concert ukuleles but just a bit larger yet the concert size are better pricing and larger selection. Am I missing something?

It's what happens to sell best just now - nearly all manufacturers produce all the four standard sizes.

Soprano, concert, tenor, & baritone, they're all popular with players, & some of us like a 'long neck'.

Regarding prices, you can get a decent enough Kala electro acoustic tenor for not much money, & from there you can pay what you like.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 04-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thank you, I must have been confusing Kala with Makala which I heard were not so good.

Where are you shopping? For the recommended online retailers HMS, UkeRebuplic, and Mims all have a big selection of tenors, as well as the other scales .

I personally do not own a tenor myself...but looking to buy one as well. I'm debating if I can run a high G tenor though most people seem to run low-G tuning on tenors. Unfortunately I don't know any low-G songs, and all my arrangements I've purchased are all high-G

While the soprano is the most popular ukulele in the world—due to cost or its preferred sound—tenor ukulele is played by many of the most famous players (no, not all) and there are hundreds of choices. Tenor will have more space between frets on the fretboard, more frets on the fretboard, and will have a bigger “sound” as the body cavity begins to approximate a tenor guitar.

My personal go-to at this time is Concert, though I own ukuleles in all sizes and will play whatever is in front of me!
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Default Link is directing to set ip

I can recommend https://www.theukulelesite.com (not sure why the link is directing to the site's set up page but just go from there to shopping) though there are many other places to buy tenor ukuleles. Concert ukuleles are the most popular but tenors are not particularly rare. As to electric ukuleles, there are some (fewer) that are more dedicated electric, but since you are asking about an acoustic/electric, maybe you should go for buying an acoustic with a pickup add on? Adding on a pick up is an option to many ukuleles, whereas a dedicated electric ukulele, often cannot work as an acoustic.
    Last edited by LPeacock; 04-25-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Not sure why the link is leading to set up

Since I only play tenor uke, most every night before I go to bed, I look up tenor ukes on eBay, which brings up a few hundred. Most are direct from Asia and are pretty good for a reasonable price. One of the best ukes I've ever played is my Kala tenor solid cedar top, acacia koa body, red paduk binding, cutaway with preamp electronics, which goes for about $380. You should also check with Mimsukes.com, she always has great recommendations and does free setup too, she recommended the Kala to me.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I think I am right in saying that Makala are the
    cheper end range,manufactured by Kala? I know
    I have my Makala 'Dolphin' and love it! Its the
    one I take on trips,as it was cheap, and I could
    always get another in the event of theft/damage!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukti View Post
    Thank you, I must have been confusing Kala with Makala which I heard were not so good.
    The Makala is Kala's entry level line. I don't like the Waterman, but I do like all the other Makala ukes. They are fine, they just don't come with the bells and whistles that Kalas have.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshiNee View Post
    Where are you shopping? For the recommended online retailers HMS, UkeRebuplic, and Mims all have a big selection of tenors, as well as the other scales .

I personally do not own a tenor myself...but looking to buy one as well. I'm debating if I can run a high G tenor though most people seem to run low-G tuning on tenors. Unfortunately I don't know any low-G songs, and all my arrangements I've purchased are all high-G
    I have 2 tenors, both are High G. If you find a tenor you like, and it is at a reputable shop like Elderly, Uke Republic, The Ukulele Site, etc then just ask them to restring it to High G during their "set up" before they ship it. Many (most?) will do it at no extra cost.
    Grey beard, tone deaf, rhythm challenged, but my dogs allow me to play for them so that is good enough for me
    aNueNue straight grain mango Custom Maui Mango III
    Lanikai spalted mango Concert TunaUke
    Magic Fluke concert Fluke w/K&K Big Island Spot
    Romero Creations flamed and spalted mango Tiny Tenor w/K&K Aloha Twin

Thread Information