Pono high gloss finishes

raffrox

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just recently got a Pono Pro MC-PC and I've been really impressed so far. One thing I'm unsure of though is the durability of the gloss finish on the Pono's. After only a couple of days there are some light scratches from my strumming finger nails. Have others found this?

I am looking to possibly get a Pono MGTD as well but I have to admit this has scared me off a little. Have others experienced similar?

Cheers.

As far as I can tell it is nitrocellulose lacquer, although I haven't tested it. So it's going to scratch. It is not as hard as the newer UV cured polyester that companies like Taylor use. My approach has been to use an automotive sealant on all my instruments. It produces a very hard very slick surface and seems to prevent small scratches.

Thanks Uke Don! I haven't heard of that before. Just so I don't use the wrong thing on my uke what are some of the product names that you've used?

Before I tell you what I've used, a disclaimer -- use at your own risk. Since I don't have long-term experience with my Ponos I can't be certain there will not be adverse effects. With that out of the way, I have used standard Meguiars paste wax on my guitars and mandolins for years with good results. But with the Ponos I have used Chemical Guys Jet Seal. The sealant gives a much slicker finish and I suspect will last much longer in that it is supposed to bond chemically to the finish (thus the disclaimer). An added benefit is that it makes the neck slick and easier to slide on. I have also used it on a couple of vehicles and it did a great job there too. I have no idea whether either of these products would be available to you where you live.

As far as I know, Pono does not use a nitrocellulose finish, but polyurethane:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122980-Pono-finishes&p=1897802#post1897802

Their finish is among the nicest I have come across, perfectly mirror flat, no open pores. Every gloss finish will show some scratches with time, a UV cured finish just as much as any other. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a uke, or from playing the heck out of it. These beauty marks show that an instrument was well loved.

Yeah, it would be at my own risk Uke Don :) I'm not sure if I would go there. I might try it on a cheaper uke if i get the chance. Thanks for the roduct names. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure what's around.

Rakelele, the finish is a beautiful thing but I think you're right about just enjoying the uke. I've got a feeling that this uke won't be going anywhere for many year so I'm definitely going to enjoy it.

I think you'd have to coat your instrument in sapphire or diamond if you want it to be completely scratch proof.
Some fine scratches will occur on any gloss finish, but they accumulate very slowly over time and you generally don't even think about it as you own the instrument longer :)

I think I was just excited to have a uke as good as the MCPC. It's a beauty to play and is getting a heap of use :)

The first scratch is the hardest, after that instruments become much more enjoyable to use. :p (My Pono doesn't seem to scratch easily. If anything, it seems more resilient than other gloss ukes I own or have owned.)

Top Bottom