Pluck notes with fingers of left hand only

LPeacock

Reaction score
Does anyone know of instructional videos of how to do this? I have seen YouTube videos of J. Chalmers Doane (3 questions interview) and of Daniel Ho (Pineapple Mango song) using this technique, but can't quite see how they are doing it, even when I slow down the YouTube videos. It look like they are merely hammering on the notes, but surely, they must be plucking the string and hammering on the notes in an almost simultaneous action? Just hammering does not seem to result in the clarity and volume of the notes they are producing.

Sorry - I can't figure out how to link the videos but the J. Chalmers Doane one is easily found on YouTube.

Thanks for any assistance,
Linda Peacock

The technique for pull-offs can sort of be thought of as "left-hand plucking". You pull the string a bit as you are removing the finger to give the lower note more energy. There are many videos about hammer-ons and pull-offs on Youtube. The guitar technique is identical to the uke technique.

This video didn't seem bad:

Daniel Ho - Pineapple Mango link - one hand note playing

Thought I figured out adding the link, but it doesn't work! It's the percussion part of the song . he's playing notes with the left hand and drumming on the ukulele with the right hand at the same time. . And I am only trying to figure out the noting part for now!

Last edited:
Thought I figured out adding the link, but it doesn't work! It's the percussion part of the song . he's playing notes with the left hand and drumming on the ukulele with the right hand at the same time. . And I am only trying to figure out the noting part for now!

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that video. I hope you find an answer.

These are nothing more than hammer-ons and pull-offs or a combination of the two. You don't need to pluck a string to do it. It does take practice and a strong fretting hand. The video above is pretty good in showing you how.

Top Bottom