Interesting rosewood Bridge

Timbuck

Reaction score
Old Hofner..with a rosewood bridge and adjustable saddles..this style would look nice on a Tenor uke..but without the volume control.
hofner bridge by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Precursor to Lanakai's TunaUke ?

This is a great find Ken.

Do you know what model that Hofner guitar is?

If I had the tools, I'd try to fabricate one of these myself using a raw wooden saddle block and some electric guitar saddles/screws taken off something like a Stratocaster style bridge.

lutu-11-s-lanikai-tunauke-saddle.jpg
The bridge Jim mentions.
I had one. Although this is a very common system on electric guitars, on the Lanikai it didn't work. That instrument had the worst intonation of any I've owned, by far. The nut adjustments only allowed replacing existing deficiencies with new ones. Might the short scale length make it ill-advised?

View attachment 108623
The bridge Jim mentions.
I had one. Although this is a very common system on electric guitars, on the Lanikai it didn't work. That instrument had the worst intonation of any I've owned, by far. The nut adjustments only allowed replacing existing deficiencies with new ones. Might the short scale length make it ill-advised?

Yes, the Lanikai TunaUke was a huge flop by all accounts.

What I am talking about offers both intonation AND string height adjustment like this one from StewMac, but the main parts made of wood instead of metal (except for the saddles and their adjustment screws):

Golden_Age_Top-Loading_Hardtail_Bridge.jpg

Golden_Age_Top-Loading_Hardtail_Bridge.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...r/Golden_Age_Top-Loading_Hardtail_Bridge.html

I tried to find out the model of that guitar, no luck yet.

It's a Höfner CS1 from 1982, Höfners answer to the Gibson CE Chet Atkins...I noted that the unfortunate crack in the laquer is most likely caused by the volume pot hole and tensioning of the nut.

Last edited:
I would like one of those cs1 guitars!! See I like different!

Top Bottom