Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you like to play your ukulele at home?

Default Where do you like to play your ukulele at home?

I went through a period of time of living alone and found it easy to dedicate blocks of time to practicing and just playing my ukulele without distraction. My significant other has recently moved in with me and I'm having trouble finding that "sanctuary" for the time being. A remote music studio would be nice, but that is not feasible for me currently. Living with other people, where/how have you found your productive place to play your ukulele at home?

I'm lucky I guess that I also have a corner of the basement where I have my amps and mixer set up. I go down there if I feel like plugging in or I'm getting ready for something and want to practice my playlist or new songs. But I don't particularly like playing down there so that isn't my first pick. Weather permitting, I play outside. I play on the back deck, the front porch, or I walk over to the park. In PR I go to the beach. But regardless, it is just me and my wife, sometimes my grand daughter, and my wife likes listening to me play. It isn't unusual for me to play my ukulele in her sewing room while she is sewing, just to give her something to listen to. She sings along sometimes, and sometimes she just tunes me out.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I'm lucky I guess that I also have a corner of the basement where I have my amps and mixer set up. I go down there if I feel like plugging in or I'm getting ready for something and want to practice my playlist or new songs. But I don't particularly like playing down there so that isn't my first pick. Weather permitting, I play outside. I play on the back deck, the front porch, or I walk over to the park. In PR I go to the beach. But regardless, it is just me and my wife, sometimes my grand daughter, and my wife likes listening to me play. It isn't unusual for me to play my ukulele in her sewing room while she is sewing, just to give her something to listen to. She sings along sometimes, and sometimes she just tunes me out.
    That does sound very nice. I think I would enjoy conveniently playing outside. Unfortunately, I do not have a porch/basement or a park in walking distance. Thinking it out, I think it is more of a mental issue with not having the same privacy anymore. I find it harder to experiment and "let loose" when playing around other people (I should clarify: harder time experimenting around other people that I'm not in a band with or jamming with).
    Last edited by Creb; 04-28-2018 at 06:31 AM.

When the whole family was home I used to play in our bedroom with the door closed. Sitting perched on the edge of the bed wasn't my first choice but that is what I had to work with. Now that my older daughter is living away from home I play in her bedroom (with the door closed) where I can actually sit in a chair and place my song sheets on a desk. I still feel kind of weird singing and playing in someone elses presence so it's nice to be able to close a door and have a room to myself.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

When I'm just noodling, I play on my couch watching TV. When I'm practicing for a gig, I play in front of my iPad Pro 12.9" with the songs in ForScore, along with the audio tracks I record during our rehearsals. It sits on my desk next to my computer if I have to fix the PDF lead sheets that I make with Canvas Draw 4 on my MacBookPro computer. I'm single so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

In the recliner in front of the (silent) TV...in the "music room" when plugging in...in front of the computer in my basement office space...on the back deck, facing the trees (my audience, unless the neighbors can hear)...in a chair on the front lawn. (The last two are "weather permitting.") I'm lucky that I don't get in-house objections to late-night playing.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano Partridge in a Pear Tree

Since my wife and I moved to a house with a basement, I managed to get a room in the basement for being noisy...

When home alone I often play on the couch or in front of my desk, but I think the stool in the basement gives a better posture.

I also like to play in the garden, but to stay friendly with the neighbours I only do it a little, and only songs that I now, so they wont have to hear my first feeble attempts at a song, when I am also overly repetative to listen to.

Before moving from a small apartment I would sometimes play in the bedroom with the door closed. Fortunately I would often get home from work half an hour before my wife. I would make that half an hour my practice time, so I could play any where.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 04-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

In my bedroom.

Being as I'm not very good (still!), I prefer not to bother anyone else, especially if it involves chords & croaking.

I actually prefer to just play melodies.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Creb View Post
    I went through a period of time of living alone and found it easy to dedicate blocks of time to practicing and just playing my ukulele without distraction. My significant other has recently moved in with me and I'm having trouble finding that "sanctuary" for the time being. A remote music studio would be nice, but that is not feasible for me currently. Living with other people, where/how have you found your productive place to play your ukulele at home?
    Where to practice at home is a common problem for so many musicians and even forces some to give up playing for a while. I’m lucky now in being able to play my Uke anywhere in my home and garden that I wish, but that wasn’t always the case. The Uke isn’t my only instrument and the other one is loud, I play it in a small bedroom with the door closed. That’s socially acceptable because the sound cannot reach other properties and there are no young children in the house trying to sleep or do homework, etc. It also helps in that I play it reasonably well too, but repeatedly playing difficult bits until i get then right isn’t regarded as enjoyable by other ears in home - many compromises.

The Uke is, I find, quiet enough to play in any place in the house that other people aren’t sharing with me. One sits by my armchair and I play that one when others are in bed / asleep / out and one sits in a bedroom and I play the one there when other people are about. I’m wanting to play more outdoors in the open countryside, you just need to select a time and place when no one much is about.

For those that live in a property with party walls and the like finding a practice space, where you’re unlikely to disturb your neighbours, can be very difficult. On an other forum one member found that his bathroom was the best place for that and that the rest of his flat was fine just so long as he picked times when his neighbours were normally out or at work. With a Uke, if all else fails, you could resort to playing it in your (parked) car - done it a little and it works just fine.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 04-28-2018 at 11:48 PM.

I generally practice in front of the computer, it's a good place for me when I'm writing tabs because I can enter new ideas directly into Guitar Pro before I forget 'em
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Thread Information