Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you like to play your ukulele at home?

Quote Originally Posted by actadh View Post
    I used to be the only one at home for stretches of the day. Now my husband is home all day.

Fortunately, just before picking up the uke, I started another hobby - camping. My little travel trailer is my music room.

I noodle around when other people are in the house, but hate to subject them to really practicing such as repeatedly playing the same set of notes.
    Wow, that travel trailer looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I used to play in the bathroom with the door closed. Great acoustics in there!
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Office...... in front of the computer. I can look up songs, look up chords I'm not certain of, play music on iTunes, etc. My 80 year old mom hasn't complained, but she's generally 2 floors away in the house watching TV, reading, or painting. In the summer I sit on my glider swing in the backyard & play. I always take my uke with me on kayak/raft/camping trips.....so sitting in a camp chair next to a river or lake, or around a campfire/communal area. My outdoor companions seem to enjoy listening to me play. At least they have never covered their ears or run screaming to their tents.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

During the weekdays, I generally play in the living room after my wife goes to bed. Since i live in San Diego, I can usually play outside on our backyard patio on the weekends.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Well I live in an old house....two bedrooms up stairs... at the top of the skinny stairs is smallish room I call the landing....two bedrooms lead off of it. It's a messy man space of a room....all kinds of outdoor gear piled up, shelves double stacked with books, couple of tall cabinets , a smallish desk, a chair on casters...and an ironing board, yes I iron most of my cloths the night before I head off to work....on the ironing board is a nice desk top music stand....I sit in my chair and play the ukulele....I try not to play to early in the morning on weekends.....but I've been known to play to get my son out of bed......In a house full of musicians I'm not too worried about too much noise...if they don't like my playing they all have earbuds and soundless headphones..... I do play in the living room or in front of the computer once in a long while also......play it when ever and were ever you can
    Last edited by mjh42; 05-03-2018 at 12:51 PM.

I stuffed one of my ukes full of odd socks. It's quiet as a mouse now. I can play it while we're in the same room and she barely hears it.

I don't always play at home, but when I do, I play at home...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Here. Although right side up.

image.jpg.

I practice standing up & with a strap. So wherever my feet are, my ukulele is a yard above them: in my library with my music stand and sheet music, down the hall and into the kitchen, out onto the porch, etc.

Used to play in the basement. But, I found it very dreary and not very... umm, I don't know how to say this.. But not very uke-ish down there. Ukulele playing needs some sunlight and a happy setting. I now took over the lower level living room and turned it into my ukulele/hawaii room(despite not being from hawaii) But, it's decorated in respect to this vibe. I have a nice couch in there. It's great. Such an inspiring space. If I need a computer or tabs or lesson help, I have a laptop I put in front of me on a little table.

Thread Information