how to get reverb and distortion

Lisakanon

Reaction score
Hi! i dont really know anything about effects but what do i get to add distortion and reverb to electric ukulele? like what pedals or amp? thanks!

Depends on your goals. You can get started with something as simple as a Roland MicroCube amp which has several different kinds of distortion models as well as basic delay and reverb effects. There are similar options by the likes of Line6 and others. A trip to a local guitar shop would probably be useful.

I'll "second" Jim's response !! I have a Roland Cube "Street" that is very portable and can operate on either batteries or AC power; it has a mic input as well as an instrument input with a nice reverb and several selectable "modeled" amp settings, a couple of which feature a good edgy distortion. I haven't actually used it with a uke yet, but I'll bet it would serve you well!

There is a company called Plus Pedal.

They have two very cool F/X pedals. One is their Plus Pedal:
The PLUS Pedal is more than just a stomp-box – it is a vast extension of your instrument that bridges the gap between rhythm and lead parts, and lets all musicians explore completely new territories.
Besides being a powerful arrangement and compositional tool, The PLUS Pedal can also be used for creating interesting and unique sound effects that would otherwise be impossible to achieve in real-time.
Whether you are a composer, solo performer, sound designer or part of a band – the ability to instantly turn any melodic sound produced by your instrument into a layer of continuous sound will completely change the way you approach music.

Their other pedal is Plasma Pedal.

The PLASMA PEDAL is a revolutionary approach within the realm of overdrive and distortion, as it is a new and previously unexplored method of achieving signal clipping. Instead of using LED circuits, transistors or vacuum tubes to produce overdrive, the PLASMA PEDAL transforms your instrument’s live signal into a series of continuous high-voltage discharges within a xenon-filled tube.
In essence – you are playing a bolt of electricity, and the electrical discharges produced by your instrument are instantly converted back into an analog audio signal, producing a quick, responsive, and extremely heavy distortion with TONS of unique character!

Very cool stuff. Check it out: https://www.gamechangeraudio.com/pluspedal/

I'm strapped for cash otherwise I'd grab each of these.

I have a Vox Mini Amp which has all these effects and more built into it. Good enough for what I do.

One thing to realize is that in order to get full distortion, it will hardly be enough to just use a regular uke with nylon strings and a saddle pickup. Sure, it will probably pick up some distortion, but not as much as you'll get with steel strings and a magnetic pickup, like on an electric guitar. There are some ukes like that on the market, e.g. Risa or Vorson/Clearwater, to name just a couple. These are built exactly like an electric guitar.

I have a Roland Cube30x bought on eBay some years back for my son's effort on guitar. It has a sackful of sounds and works fine with electric ukes. Best is with the steel string Clearwater (Vorson in USA) but the nylon string ukes sound pretty crazy too. Roland has a big selection in the Cube range but many other guitar amps offer an array of effects. Since 9 out of 10 people trying to learn guitar don't last more than a year, there are lots of second hand amps available.

As Jim asks, what are your goals?

For reverb, there are a few different types: spring, plate, room, hall, etc. as well as additional features such as shimmer and slapback. Each has its own character and is better suited to certain sounds.

For boost/overdrive/distortion/fuzz, I recommend trying a few light overdrives first and seeing if any of them can accomplish the sound you desire. If you want more distortion, try a heavier overdrive before moving into the realm of distortion and fuzz effects.

I'd be glad to make some specific recommendations, but first: What kind of ukulele are you amplifying, what is your effects budget, and what kind of sound are you trying to create?

Hi! i dont really know anything about effects but what do i get to add distortion and reverb to electric ukulele? like what pedals or amp? thanks!

Pretty much the same way you would for guitar.
Plugged in, guitars and ukuleles behave more or less the same.
Obviously being a nylon-strung and piezo pickup instrument does make it a bit different, but nothing you can't get around with tweaking settings.

Vox and Roland amps, like many have stated, offer these effects built-in.
There are individual effects pedals as well as multi-effects pedals around that can achieve the same.

Over the years, I've owned both Roland and Vox portable amps.
Lately, I find that Vox performs a bit better than Roland - my personal favourite being the Vox SoundBox Mini
http://www.voxamps.com/soundboxmini

If you'd rather go down the pedal route, a nice inexpensive option is the Mooer Pogo effects pedal:
http://mooeraudio.com/?product/201409191196.html

It does distortion of many types, reverb and other effects, and also has a drum-beat machine built in.

Check this Kala article featuring Marlowe. She uses ZVEX effects pedal.

Kala recently had the opportunity to partner with artist MARLOWE and ZVEX Effects. Demoing on her 2KOA-TG, the Box of Metal pedal is the heaviest sounding pedal in the ZVEX lineup. The sweet sounds of the Koa ukulele are transformed with a massive amount of distortion, making an excellent complementary instrument to any rock cover band!

https://kalabrand.com/blogs/tech-and-how-to/how-marlowe-captures-gritty-rock-tones-with-her-ukulele

When you say “electric ukulele” are you talking about a solid body with coil or humbucker pickup? I think there might be different recommendations if so.

I have been bitten by the EFX pedal bug well and truely. What I’ve learned so far is a pedal that sounds great on a steel string electric guitar doesn’t necessarily work well for a nylon string Uke. I suggest that you search the Uke Talk section for “pedalboard “. There is a good thread that contains a video of Jake talking about his pedal board. It’s a good place to start. Be careful though, EFX pedals are a whole universe of Acquisition Syndrome Disorder.

An amp with built-in effects is an easy way to try out those effects.
My desire to experiment led me to buy a few inexpensive pedals; a Behringer Reverb and a Donner Blues Drive pedal for modest distortion. I think they were both in the $30-$35 range. However you should heed hollisdwyer's advice...a couple of pedals quickly turns into...
IMG_1770.jpg

An amp with built-in effects is an easy way to try out those effects.
My desire to experiment led me to buy a few inexpensive pedals; a Behringer Reverb and a Donner Blues Drive pedal for modest distortion. I think they were both in the $30-$35 range. However you should heed hollisdwyer's advice...a couple of pedals quickly turns into...
View attachment 108821

Yes, my Pedal Acquisition Syndrome is totally out of hand. Here a photo of my version 1.

E3776E59-54FA-4375-946C-B65624F79F61.jpg

I now up to version 4.

For reverb I just use the built-in function in my amp, a Blackstar. For distortion I use the amp's overdrive augmented by ZVEX Fat Fuzz Factory

I started with a Vox mini with the effects built in and I still use it for busking sometimes, because it is small and runs on batteries. But I after a couple of years I bought a Kustom acoustic amp for a little more reach in other venues and quickly started accumulating pedals. For sound, I prefer the latter set up with the pedals. It is a lot more versatile. For convenience, I still like the Vox. But pedals are easy to come by. I hit the pawn shops regularly and pick up pedals to mess around with for twenty to thirty bucks. I even have one pawn shop that I've gone into so often that they let me take them home and try them out first. I also think that it is kind of fun to run all of the cables and hook them all up. I've learned a lot more about effects and amplification by using pedals then by setting a knob on my Vox.

Top Bottom