Build Thread: Custom Guilele by Jonathan Dale/Jupiter Ukulele

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Technically, this is a "short scale parlor guitar" but the specs are squarely in baritone guilele territory. I'll get to those shortly. But first, a little history...

I have admired guilele (guitalele? guitarlele? couldn't we have picked a single term?) from afar for several years now, particularly the playing of folks here like Dr. Bekken and camsuke. But I never gave it much thought for myself as I completely gave up guitar in my mid-twenties due to RSI issues. I just couldn't work my computer job and play guitar too. Even now, my uke playing is severely limited. But a UU thread back in January got me surfing for 6-strings, and the realization struck me that if I can play tenor and baritone ukes, there really shouldn't be any reason I couldn't play a similarly scaled 6-string without undue stress. At that point, the hunt was on, and since you're here, you know where this is headed.

I had stumbled across the Jupiter Ukulele (http://jupiteruke.com/) site several times before, probably most recently during the hunt for super tenors that led to the Bonanza build. This time I noticed the parlor guitars built off a baritone uke body and thought, hmm, he does 19" scale and 6-strings, why not both?

I thought one reason "why not" might be the scale length, figuring the scale length of the parlor guitars must surely be something insane ( :) ) like 23", but when Jonathan informed me the usual scale of those is the modern baritone 20", I knew we might have a shot. After a few email exchanges, he agreed it sounded like a neat challenge. The game was afoot. Well, not quite yet. Turns out, Jonathan was at his winter home in Florida, and his workshop was hibernating back in Pennsylvania. So it would be several months before work could commence, and if all went well, several months of build time after that. That timeframe actually sounded great to me as it would give me time to save up and would give me time to figure out what I really wanted. (I've posted in other threads that I acquired a used Cordoba Mini and Cordoba C1m 1/4 size to help dial that in.)

Fast forward to the present, Jonathan is back north, I've done my experiments, and we exchanged some more emails to arrive at the following spec sheet:
  1. Baritone ukulele body - standard for parlor guitar and I wouldn't want any bigger anyway
  2. 6 string 'guitar' neck, 19 inch scale - my preferred bari scale, confirmed once again by the Mini vs C1m comparison
  3. Sycamore Back & Sides - other choices included black walnut and big leaf maple, but I like the finished look of this better and an extra bonus is "this wood started with me and a chain saw." How cool is that?
  4. Pennsylvania Red Cedar top - other choices included redwood and Port Orford cedar but again I like this better visually and the local aspect is appealing. Tonally this should be between the other two which should fit the wider guitar range well.
  5. Side sound port - I have to say my experience with these so far has been somewhat inconclusive but it can't hurt
  6. Radiused fingerboard - again, can't hurt and may help those RSI issues
  7. Piccaso headplate - so far pretty normal, but if you've read many of my posts over the past few years, you'll know that doesn't describe me, so here goes. :p I'll post a pic below of an example but suffice it to say this is a Jonathan Dale original design and ain't nobody gonna have another like mine :cool:
  8. spiral rosette - another innovation from Jon so why not?
  9. MiSi pickup - I haven't been getting pickups in ukes for quite some time as I don't play out and recording with a microphone has proven better/easier lately. But what the heck, go big *and* go home?
  10. Nut width - not on the official spec sheet, but should be in the neighborhood of 1-3/4" maybe 1-13/16"

I got clearance from Jonathan to start this thread, so he'll probably be checking in from time-to-time. And I'll post update pictures as they become available.

Design choices

These pictures are not my build, but just to give a sense of the design choices: https://imgur.com/gallery/W2NV3GE
Sycamore back/sides:
oEA6uhXl.jpg

PA red cedar top:
w9rkR8Jl.jpg

Picasso headplate:
9r6aKxol.jpg

Spiral rosette:
xZGL6shl.png

I am quite excited for you Jim. I have eyed Guileles for some time now but haven’t had the opportunity to have one in my hands. It will be a joy watching as things progress.

As our teachers always told us, homework is important, and you have proven that. What a fantastic instrument you and Jonathan have envisioned - I can’t wait to see the results.

Thanks, Jim. I always enjoy checking in on build threads. That spiral rosette is pretty cool.

This is such a smart way to go about it, Jim. How many times do we see custom ukes come up for sale because they turn out to not be what the buyer was looking for? You've really taken your time and done your research, exciting times!

Good for you Jim!! This sounds like a great build project. I love sycamore!! Ever since my first flamenco style guitar with sycamore back and sides I've been hooked on that wood species. Sadly that guitar is long gone, but I'm always on the watch for it.

Thanks to Jim for starting this thread. I always like to have something a bit experimental 'on the bench', as that is the way I learn new things. I have done a 19" scale XL tenor, so I have 19" fret slotting jigs around, and I have built parlor guitars with a 20-3/4" scale based on a baritone body, so making a 19" scale parlor should be an interesting marriage.

I was going to be bending the sides today, but when I started to set things up late yesterday, my heat blanket shorted out, blew the circuit breaker and fried the controller. Manure happens. Off to do other things while I await replacement parts like back braces, getting the top in shape, going over to the FabLab to use the laser cutter to cut rosette jigs for the larger baritone sound hole. There is always something ...

Jim.......you always put a lot of thought into your custom builds and this is no different. I love sycamore as well, had an all sycamore Mya Moe tenor which sounded great. I think the choice of a cedar top is perfect, the two woods together will smell great.and sound marvelous. Well done buddy

Jim,

I live near Jonathan Dale's winter residence in Florida, and for the past couple years, I've paid him a visit or two each winter to play his ukuleles.

His ukuleles are fine instruments. I'm considering ordering one myself.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the final guilele!

Last edited:
I will be following the progress with interest. I really love your choices of wood and design elements. Thanks, Jim, for taking us along on your build journey.

Very cool Jim.
The only reason I'd want a guilele is to have a smaller scale resonator "guitar" so I can play slide stuff on a uke instead of a big heavy guitar.

Thanks for allowing us to follow your build, Jim. I really like the glossy finish Jonathan is able achieve with Tru-Oil. Pretty amazing!

I was going to be bending the sides today, but when I started to set things up late yesterday, my heat blanket shorted out, blew the circuit breaker and fried the controller. Manure happens.... There is always something ...
Doh! Sorry about that! :(
Hopefully, we've got our glitch out of the way, and it'll be smooth sailing from here out. :eek:

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Should be a fun ride.

Jim,

It is going to be beautiful! I like your choices and reasonings. This is a build thread I will be looking out for.

More design choices - binding

https://imgur.com/a/0OZYMgW

lRpy3A5l.png

Rosewood, koa
rWXI9i6l.png

Maple, bog oak
nuS6CrEl.png

Paduk

I jokingly said koa since I don't have a koa uke and this means I wouldn't need one. :p

But really I said "luthiers choice" as Jonathan will have a better idea how all this will look under finish and how it all looks together with the chosen back, side, and top pieces. Jonathan might be leaning koa anyway, so we'll see.

That is my side piece of sycamore though.

The sycamore side looks "sick".......as in awesome!!!!! You never asked for my opinion but that never stopped me before, I vote the last one, paduk, for the bindings. It will add a really nice color component to the completed unit

I vote the last one, paduk, for the bindings. It will add a really nice color component to the completed unit
I think you nailed it with the "completed unit" - I think all of these could look good depending on the rest of the elements. This uke, er guitar, will not be lacking for color components in any case.

I agree with Dave, the Padauk looks the best to me. Mahogany might be a nice contrast binding too.

I'm partial to the bog oak binding myself...either way, it will end up looking very classy.

Top Bottom