Ukulele World Congress.

Rllink

Reaction score
Last year I went to the Ukulele World Congress. It was fun and interesting. It was my first one. I got in early Friday afternoon and found a good spot for my camper. I will say that I felt a bit like an outsider, and that was my fault. I wished that I had met some people on line before I got there so that I could have met them in person at the festival. So it is a month away, I'll be there again this year, I'm coming in on Thursday instead of Friday, and I want to meet some people. Anyone else going?

As of now, I'm planning to be there Thu-Sat. Look forward to meeting you! :cool:

EDIT: As it turns out, I'm not going to UWC X. Going instead to an old-time music week in North Carolina that starts on Sunday (6/3). I was planning to attend both events back-to-back, but expenses and logistics were getting out-of-hand, so I decided to focus on the old-time week, which I signed up for some months ago. Hope to be at UWC XI next year!

Last edited:
I go every year. This year I have health issues and an upcoming surgery but still hope to go. I normally wear a ballcap with a gold pin that says Steve on it. I am only 5 ft 4 in, so pretty easy to spot. I hope I get a chance to meet you. I enjoy your posts on UU. Steve

I wish I could go, but cannot be away for that long (including travel time) due to commitments at home that require me being present here every day...and these are not negotiable for me right now.

Maybe next year? I dunno.

Hopefully...

Rollie - I am glad you and others are going.

Coming from NJ, I would likely fly there and then rent an RV local (to the event) rather than stay in a hotel, thinking that this would let me fully participate more by being on-site all the time, but I know that all will likely be expensive compared to a Howard Johnsons or similar or an Air-BNB, and car rental.

I'll be there! I go every year. I hope to meet you...unless I did last year and I don't remember. (Sorry. Fireball is not always my friend)
I'm the one with the flamingo ukulele.

As of now, I'm planning to be there Thu-Sat. Look forward to meeting you! :cool:
I look forward to seeing you too. We are thinking of traveling around after the UWC and one of the places we talked about was Nashville, TN and maybe Memphis, but I don't know what we are going to do. We have a few days afterwards and we will probably see where the winds blow us.

I go every year. This year I have health issues and an upcoming surgery but still hope to go. I normally wear a ballcap with a gold pin that says Steve on it. I am only 5 ft 4 in, so pretty easy to spot. I hope I get a chance to meet you. I enjoy your posts on UU. Steve
I hope that you are able to be there. I look forward to seeing you.

Rollie - I am glad you and others are going.

Coming from NJ, I would likely fly there and then rent an RV local (to the event) rather than stay in a hotel, thinking that this would let me fully participate more by being on-site all the time, but I know that all will likely be expensive compared to a Howard Johnsons or similar or an Air-BNB, and car rental.
I don't know if you've been there before, but an RV would be the way to do it. The nearest town is far enough away from the festival that I think it would be a little hard to really enjoy it all, knowing that you had to drive back to town in the middle of the night. Especially if one is not familiar with the area. I got lost coming back from town last year in the daylight. I'm sure there are people who do stay in town though. Besides, it is nice to be among everyone else who is camping there.

I'll be there! I go every year. I hope to meet you...unless I did last year and I don't remember. (Sorry. Fireball is not always my friend)
I'm the one with the flamingo ukulele.
I don't remember if we met last year or not. I will make it a point to this year though.

This is my camper. If anyone is walking around and sees it, stop on in and say hi.
Camper.jpg

...I don't know if you've been there before, but an RV would be the way to do it. The nearest town is far enough away from the festival that I think it would be a little hard to really enjoy it all, knowing that you had to drive back to town in the middle of the night. Especially if one is not familiar with the area. I got lost coming back from town last year in the daylight. I'm sure there are people who do stay in town though. Besides, it is nice to be among everyone else who is camping there.

I don't remember if we met last year or not. I will make it a point to this year though.

This is my camper. If anyone is walking around and sees it, stop on in and say hi.
View attachment 108817

No, I've never been.

I like that camper, very practical. Now I want one LOL instead of an Airstream, I may be able to build something like that myself (I'm sure there are YT videos :))

If there are nice bathrooms and showers there, one may be able to get by simply with a sleeping bag and foam padding in the back of a minivan (or crossover vehicle like yours - Nissan Murano maybe?), and forgo the full RV since it's not really needed if there are facilities.

I'd been a VERY long time since I slept in a car/van/etc, like 25+ yrs ago (when I was in college), but I have been known to be excessively frugal at times, and renting anything else is likely to be cheaper than renting an RV for 5-7 days.

I'll be there. I live close so I don't camp but always have a great time. Hope to meet you there.

No, I've never been.

I like that camper, very practical. Now I want one LOL instead of an Airstream, I may be able to build something like that myself (I'm sure there are YT videos :))

If you look up teardrop campers there are many cool ones out there. While I have not camped since I was a kid, those are tempting.

For the do it yourself person check out:https://bigwoodycampers.com/teardrop-camper-plans

I'll be there! Camping is the way to go. I go to the Brown County YMCA for showers.

My first year (UWC6) I felt very much like an outsider--I'm a bit of an introvert, and it seemed like there was already a hierarchy of who the "cool kids" were. So I skipped 7, but came back for 8 and 9, and with each one I felt a little more at comfortable there, though I don't really feel like I've found "my tribe". I've camped in a different spot each time and float around to a couple of campsites that I feel comfortable enough to walk up to. Ultimately, I think the UWC experience is what you make of it. The more you jump in, the more you'll be rewarded.

- FiL

Last edited:
I'll be there. I live close so I don't camp but always have a great time. Hope to meet you there.

I hope to meet you there. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be there! Camping is the way to go. I go to the Brown County YMCA for showers.

My first year (UWC6) I felt very much like an outsider--I'm a bit of an introvert, and it seemed like there was already a hierarchy of who the "cool kids" were. So I skipped 7, but came back for 8 and 9, and with each one I felt a little more at comfortable there, though I don't really feel like I've found "my tribe". I've camped in a different spot each time and float around to a couple of campsites that I feel comfortable enough to walk up to. Ultimately, I think the UWC experience is what you make of it. The more you jump in, the more you'll be rewarded.

- FiL

- FiL
I enjoyed last year. It was inspiring. I just wished that I had made some connections before I got there. Anyway, let's look each other up and we'll start our own tribe. I'm not an introvert, so we can have a little tribal balance. My wife is coming with me. She is a very casual ukulele player. She has a lot of musical talent and picked up the ukulele pretty quickly, but she is not as much into ukuleles as I am. She's along for the ride. So if anyone is dragging along a reluctant spouse, come on by. I'm sure my wife would like to meet some like minded people.

I'm packing up today and leaving first thing in the morning. I'll stop somewhere tomorrow night and come in on Thursday sometime. I don't drive long and hard. Please look me up. I want to meet you all.

Camper.jpg
I'm this guy. The one playing the ukulele.
Ivan Carlos and me..jpgPlaying ukulele with Ivan Carlos.jpg

Top Bottom