Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UAS is in our DNA!! And skills has nothing to do with UAS!!

Talking UAS is in our DNA!! And skills has nothing to do with UAS!!

I think the blog post is a bit of humor and some light reading!
    Please do not take it too seriously!
    That said I came across this today morning.

https://www.gryphonstrings.com/acous...tiple-guitars/

They talk about GAS but it is no different..

Hahahahaha! Awesome article, Kerneltime !! I think the author is right--- "testing and comparing" is a big part of what drives our UAS !! It occurred to me yesterday, after watching fellow-member Vic's video about UAS, that for many (if not most) of us, the real fun of all of this lies in the "process" or the "journey" that it involves. So, maybe deep down we just want to keep that process going indefinitely, rather than actually settling on one instrument and declaring that the search is over!
    Last edited by Bill Sheehan; 05-05-2018 at 09:04 AM.

I fully embrace having UAS, as my signature would attest. I'm actually going to post a New Uke Day shortly. (But the reality is that I only have room on my humidified shelf cabinet for eight, so if I get a new one, another has to go.)

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
    Happy member of the 40+ club

Some will play anything that makes a noise, others look for that certain something that you can't really explain, & it takes time, (& a lot of purchases if you have to rely on the internet).

My quest is over, (famous last words), I found what I had been looking for, but I certainly had a lot of fun along the way.

Yes, some people have a propensity to collect things, & why not, if they can afford it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by spongeuke View Post
    As my handle and address attest, I've soaked up a few ukuleles. I've attempted a "wring out", discretion, and a cold rinse. I could not stand for a wiping the slate clean.
    Happy member of the 40+ club
    40+ club...wow! I move em in and out, comparing different ukes is alot of fun. Eventually would like to settle with 2 sops, 1 concert and both low amd high G tenors.

I have bought six ukes and sold four since I began playing the 'ukulele three years ago.

I prefer playing to shopping, but it took me some trial & error to find what I really like. These days, I have two: a K brand super concert for high G and a K brand tenor for low G.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

I'd like to hear more about the guy who has guitars hidden behind a false wall in his closet. How does he sneak in there to get one out to play? How did he get the wall built w/ no one knowing? (Unless he lives alone, but in that case, why does he need to hide the guitars?)

Makes me feel better about my UAS, anyway. Blame DNA, not me. :-)

I look for different sounds, though. I have 4 main players, Concert Kanile'a, a favorite, Concert, 8-string, Concert with Low G and an old Martin style 0. They all have different sounds and work better for different songs. But, on the other hand, I drink more than half a glass of wine...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Oh, dear - I think the GAS article may describe me perfectly! I will never be a good ukulele player, though I will go on learning chords and some simple stuff.... But I find myself loving the search for both knowledge about ukes (historical and current), and to find one more reasonably-priced instrument that is different from my others. I want a new brand, another kind of wood, a second soprano, and so on. Each one brings another element into the evaluation, and I am afraid I'll continue this way until I run out of untried sizes, makers, decades produced or money. At least I'm restricted to a fairly sane level of acquisition by my fixed retirement income - who knew that would be a good thing? I have inherited a genetic predisposition to collect things, and believe most ukuleles count as objets d'arte in their own right; even unplayed.

Thread Information