Mainland Nut unglued

rubykey

Reaction score
No I am not "going postal."

Last time I changed the strings on my Mainland I noticed that the nut was unglued and I left it that way. I figured the strings would hold the nut in place. But then I had a nagging feeling that it is causing the strings to not consistently ring clearly.
The latter probably caused by my poor technique.

I recall reading on another post about an unglued nut on a Mainland. Is that intentional? Are there pros and cons on this topic? Should I attempt to glue it? A Luthier I know suggested to put a dab of cement in the center only. If it gets in the wrong position then what? Opinions solicited.

The strings will hold it in just fine. But if it concerns you just use two small drops of any white (Elmer's) or yellow glue. Put the nut back on, wipe off any squeeze out with a damp paper towel. String it up. Let it dry for a few hours and you're all set. That's what most builders do to hold in the nut. Makes it easy to remove if you need to in the future.

The strings will hold it in just fine. But if it concerns you just use two small drops of any white (Elmer's) or yellow glue. Put the nut back on, wipe off any squeeze out with a damp paper towel. String it up. Let it dry for a few hours and you're all set. That's what most builders do to hold in the nut. Makes it easy to remove if you need to in the future.

Like Don said, if you feel the need to glue it, use something like Elmer's or school paste.

My suggestion would be to use a drop or two of glue on the side of the nut facing the fret board (not the neck). That way if/when it needs to be removed you can tap it from the fret board side and it comes right off.

When the nut is glued to the neck (bottom of nut) it can tend to take wood with it when knocked loose.

Why you ask?

Because you are gluing to side grain on the neck and end grain on the fret board.

I use med viscosity super glue myself but that is your choice. Just remember a little dab will do ya & make sure you have it lined up properly before it sets.

I am not an expert by any means but some nuts are supposed to be unglued. You can change them out to accommodate different string sets, test positioning of strings, and adjust the action. Same with the bridge saddle. I have a several Mya Moe ukuleles and the nuts and saddles are not glued on purpose. Gordon told me so. Also when I bought a used Mya Moe Tenor — it came with a customized nut to accommodate Worth strings. The previous owner also sent along the original nut. The customized nut did not suit me and I easily switched it out for the original nut, restringing with MM florucarbon strings. Love that tenor.

Last edited:
The bone nut on both our Cocobolo Ukuleles are unglued. We're not messing with it.
If it ain't broke...

I am not an expert by any means but some nuts are supposed to be unglued. You can change them out to accommodate different string sets, test positioning of strings, and adjust the action. Same with the bridge saddle. I have a several Mya Moe ukuleles and the nuts and saddles are not glued on purpose. Gordon told me so. Also when I bought a used Mya Moe Tenor — it came with a customized nut to accommodate Worth strings. The previous owner also sent along the original nut. The customized nut did not suit me and I easily switched it out for the original nut, restringing with MM florucarbon strings. Love that tenor.

That's a great explanation.
and thank you uke Don , Hoosier River, ukecaster and Jardin for your contemplative and informative responses. When I remove the strings I'll decide to glue or not to glue. At least now I have a better understanding.

Top Bottom