Snark ST-8 Tuner Accuracy

Clip on tuners are a godsend. Many years ago when trying to learn guitar, tuning was a real pain. Now I use a clip on tuner to get basically in tune, then check by ear and tweak as necessary.

I use the Planet Waves mini (micro?) NS tuners. They are unobtrusive, especially if you put them under the headstock (not always possible) and I leave them on the uke.

Lately I’ve been using TC Electronics Polytune Clip and their Polytune mini for my pedal board. I also have the new version of the Petersen clip (better build and design). I’m a little self indulgent keeping a tuner in every Uke case but I know that if I didn’t I’d forget to bring one with me.

Woodstock has a lot to answer for.

Clip on tuners are a godsend. Many years ago when trying to learn guitar, tuning was a real pain. Now I use a clip on tuner to get basically in tune, then check by ear and tweak as necessary.

I use the Planet Waves mini (micro?) NS tuners. They are unobtrusive, especially if you put them under the headstock (not always possible) and I leave them on the uke.

I have two of those. One works pretty well, and the other is a complete dud. My old eyes find them harder to read than tuners with bigger displays, so I won't be buying more of them. I do love their tiny size and that they can stay on the instrument. :)

Lately I’ve been using TC Electronics Polytune Clip and their Polytune mini for my pedal board. I also have the new version of the Petersen clip (better build and design). I’m a little self indulgent keeping a tuner in every Uke case but I know that if I didn’t I’d forget to bring one with me.

Woodstock has a lot to answer for.

I ordered a TC Electronics Unitune that has fewer features than the Polytune (but enough for me). I'm looking forward to checking it out. :) My Kliq UberTuner arrived today. It has some strong jaws on it! It's also much quicker to respond than the Snark and D'Addario micro tuners, so it's picking up notes on my solid mahogany uke that the others couldn't get. It's much easier to tune this uke now! :) How do you like the new Peterson clip tuner? It looks really interesting, but I've seen some mixed reviews.

I like to keep a tuner in every case too, plus one on the table next to me. That way I never am without a tuner when I leave with an instrument case, and I don't have to bother getting the tuner out of the case when I practice at home. :D

I'm self-indulgent too when it comes to tuners. And they're a lot less expensive than ukes! :rofl:

I ordered a TC Electronics Unitune that has fewer features than the Polytune (but enough for me). I'm looking forward to checking it out. :)

I'm interested in your opinion of the Unitune. I tried one but was disappointed. It would not respond to any note at the 12th fret, so was useless in checking intonation.

I'm interested in your opinion of the Unitune. I tried one but was disappointed. It would not respond to any note at the 12th fret, so was useless in checking intonation.

It's arriving tomorrow, and I will definitely post back. I'll be very disappointed if it can't recognize notes at the 12th fret.

I've found the Snark to be easy to use, but tempermental. But I've also found this to be dependent on the strings being used.

For example, it sometimes gets confused and jumps to random notes. In these cases, it needs to be swtiched off and then on again and sometimes physically repositioned on the uke.

Oddly, it was worst when I had Aquila Black Carbon strings on it. Also, it refused to even budge when checking the tuning for the top two strings at the 12th fret. Didn't even recognise that a note was being played. For the bottom two strings, it gave weird readings at the 12th fret.

When I changed to Worth browns, it read the notes at the 12th fret perfectly every time for all strings. And now that I've added wound strings for the bottom two strings, it also reads them without a hitch.

But overall, in quiet surroundings, I've found that iPhone apps are more acurate.

YMMV.

I ordered a TC Electronics Unitune that has fewer features than the Polytune (but enough for me). I'm looking forward to checking it out. :) My Kliq UberTuner arrived today. It has some strong jaws on it! It's also much quicker to respond than the Snark and D'Addario micro tuners, so it's picking up notes on my solid mahogany uke that the others couldn't get. It's much easier to tune this uke now! :) How do you like the new Peterson clip tuner? It looks really interesting, but I've seen some mixed reviews.

I like to keep a tuner in every case too, plus one on the table next to me. That way I never am without a tuner when I leave with an instrument case, and I don't have to bother getting the tuner out of the case when I practice at home. :D

I'm self-indulgent too when it comes to tuners. And they're a lot less expensive than ukes! :rofl:

I had the original Pertersen clip on which didn’t last long. That model has been removed from the market. The problem was with the case. They sent me a new model which I consider much better designed and built. The Petersen are strobe tuners, not a needle on a scale. Some people may find that strange, I don’t. Although not as accurate as the benchtop models that Luthiers use, they are very close and very sensitive. They are slightly bulkier and more solid than the TC Electronics polytune Clip. I depend on these as I was not blessed with perfect pitch.

Last edited:
I've found the Snark to be easy to use, but tempermental. But I've also found this to be dependent on the strings being used.

For example, it sometimes gets confused and jumps to random notes. In these cases, it needs to be swtiched off and then on again and sometimes physically repositioned on the uke.

Oddly, it was worst when I had Aquila Black Carbon strings on it. Also, it refused to even budge when checking the tuning for the top two strings at the 12th fret. Didn't even recognise that a note was being played. For the bottom two strings, it gave weird readings at the 12th fret.

When I changed to Worth browns, it read the notes at the 12th fret perfectly every time for all strings. And now that I've added wound strings for the bottom two strings, it also reads them without a hitch.

But overall, in quiet surroundings, I've found that iPhone apps are more acurate.

YMMV.
Thx. Your Snark experience sounds very similar to mine, though I have Worth Browns on the Kala solid mahogany that gives many tuners fits. Same strings are on my concert, and the Snark has no problems tuning that instrument. I have iStrobosoft on my Android phone, and it works really well, though a clip-on tuner is my first choice. I'm not at all happy with Snark's customer service. I emailed them over a week ago and have heard absolutely nothing. I won't be buying Snark again.

I had the original Pertersen clip on which didn’t last long. That model have been removed from the market. The problem was with the case. They sent me a new model which I consider much better designed and built. The Petersen are strobe tuners, not a needle on a scale. Some people may find that strange, I don’t. Although not as accurate as the benchtop models that Luthiers use, they are very close and very sensitive. They are slightly bulkier and more solid than the TC Electronics polytune Clip. I depend on these as I was not blessed with perfect pitch.

I received my TC Electronic UniTune yesterday, and I really like it. The strobe setting is great! Thanks for the info on the newer Peterson clip. :)

Tuner Update

OK, yesterday I received the TC Electronic UniTune, and I really like it! It works great in both modes, but I really like the strobe setting. It correctly detects every single note on my Kala mahogany and other ukes. It's the most accurate of the tuners I've tried so far, with +/ .02 cent accuracy in the strobe setting. It's not quite as adjustable as other clip-on tuners, but it works fine for me.

Sadly the Kliq UberTuner starting buzzing something awful on day two, so I will be returning that one. I do like the large, bright display as well as the +/- 1 cent accuracy. The strong jaws make it not as quick to place as the other tuners, but I'd be keeping it if it hadn't developed that buzz. Though much better than the Snark, the Kliq did have trouble with a few notes on my Kala mahogany.

I also tried a Samson CT260V clip-on tuner, and though it's tiny, plasticy and inexpensive, it works very well!

Of all the tuners I've tried, the UniTune and the Samson are my favorites.

Thanks all! :)

Top Bottom