Hello from Northern, WI

Yooper22

Reaction score
Hello, new to the site...obviously. I've dabbled in the Uke during college, but now that I have more free time on my hands after college I want to really buckle down and develope some proficiency with the instrument for my own enjoyment. I have a Lanakai LKP-C concert koa uke and my great-grandfathers banjolele of unknown manufacturer that I hope someone on here can help me identify. The head is in good shape, but needs new tuners,strings, and some woodworking/finish work. I'm also not sure what kind of strings to buy for the banjolele..it had all metal strings on it when i found it.IMG_2332.JPGIMG_2333.JPGIMG_2334.JPG

-Kyle

Hello, new to the site...obviously. I've dabbled in the Uke during college, but now that I have more free time on my hands after college I want to really buckle down and develope some proficiency with the instrument for my own enjoyment. I have a Lanakai LKP-C concert koa uke and my great-grandfathers banjolele of unknown manufacturer that I hope someone on here can help me identify. The head is in good shape, but needs new tuners,strings, and some woodworking/finish work. Im also not sure what kind of strings to buy for the banjolele..it had all metal strings on it when i found it.View attachment 108877View attachment 108878View attachment 108879

-Kyle

That is a sharp looking instrument. How cool is that to have your great grandfather's uke. Pearloid on the fretboard and headstock-sweet! Can you post a picture of the tailpiece? That might help determine if it was actually constructed for metal strings. Were the strings you removed loop end type?

IMG_2336.JPGIMG_2337.jpgIMG_2338.JPG

Picture of the remnants of a label at one point. Any advice as how to "preserve" or refurbish the banjolele? The head seems to be fine, might need to be tightened and moisturized but it feels good.

First off welcome to UU. I went to high school by Hayward so know that part of Wiscoland. If your a yooper then you’re further north.

Looking at the photos it looks like someone put in some thought and skill to it, if that’s the resonator. Is the design on the back an inlay or painted? A close up of that and the headstock might help ID the craftsman.

Thanks for posting

Yooper22,

I think that you should make a new post in the Uke Tech Support section of this forum. You should include all the pictures you show here and ask your question about metal or nylon strings, stating whether or not the strings you removed from the uke were loop end type or otherwise. I took a look at my wife's banjo uke which has nylon strings. The tailpiece for that one has four holes with a knot on the other side for each string.

My guess is that the tailpiece on your uke is made for loop end metal strings but I am not an expert and posting in the Uke Tech Support section will put you in touch with more people who repair and build ukes for a living or a hobby.

This just looks like a uke that should be restored.

Last edited:
Hey, vanFlynn! Yeah I'm origianally from the UP, grew-up and went to school there, but now I live and work in the deep north of wisconsin.

Its a very weel made Banjolele from what I gather, especially being as old as it is. They just don't make things like they us'ta!

The picture with the ornate flower screws to the back of the head, so I guess if that is called a resonator then yes. I'm pretty sure the design is painted...actually almost positive.

I thought about getting a syringe and putting a bit of watered down wood glue into it, and then squeeze a bit into where it is starting to delaminate. Then take some 0000 steel wool to polish/sand the varnish and then put some fresh laquer or varnish and then some wax on it. I feel that would be a good route, unless someone has experience in this department and can advise me otherwise.

First off welcome to UU. I went to high school by Hayward so know that part of Wiscoland. If your a yooper then you’re further north.

Looking at the photos it looks like someone put in some thought and skill to it, if that’s the resonator. Is the design on the back an inlay or painted? A close up of that and the headstock might help ID the craftsman.

Thanks for posting

Doug,

I will definiatevelly re-post the photos in the Tech Section. I'm not entirely sure what you all mean by loop end style. My tail piece has 5 holes, and then 5 little prongs underneath each hole, which i am assuming is to hold the loop? I know it had metal strings in it, but i'm having trouble remembering what they were like. The strings I took off last night, I believe I stole from a friends guitar after they broke and they had a loop with a metal bushing. Regardless, I know for a fact it had metal strings on it prior to doing that.

I don't mind putting nylon strings on it if that would be easier... I would like to put metal on however if that will be more authentic.

Doug,

I will definiatevelly re-post the photos in the Tech Section. I'm not entirely sure what you all mean by loop end style. My tail piece has 5 holes, and then 5 little prongs underneath each hole, which i am assuming is to hold the loop? I know it had metal strings in it, but i'm having trouble remembering what they were like. The strings I took off last night, I believe I stole from a friends guitar after they broke and they had a loop with a metal bushing. Regardless, I know for a fact it had metal strings on it prior to doing that.

I don't mind putting nylon strings on it if that would be easier... I would like to put metal on however if that will be more authentic.

1. Here is a fuzzy picture of loop end strings.
A-loop end 2.jpg

2. My mandolin tailpiece cover
B-tailpiece.jpg

3. The tailpiece with cover removed and loop ends attached.
c-tailpiece cover removed.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom