Make your own fretboard dots?

What diameter holes on the face? I'm guessing not more than 3/16" (what, 4.5 mm?) Twist drill, or??

I'm kinda picky on what looks good when it comes to dots. Some I think are too big and some are too small. I think 5mm looks good on a tenor fretboard and 1/16" on the side dots... Your best bet for drill bits for the fretboard holes is to use a brad point bit like these Fisch bits. Pricey for sure, but they cut with no tear out or wander. I love them.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Drill_Bits/Brad_Point_Drill_Bit_Sets.html

Ken, that is fascinating!
Is your process for that detailed somewhere? I'd like to see it, or pictures of what they look like. :)

I drill a hole in a scrap of wood to the depth I want for the dot. I drill a smaller hole through the scrap so I can push the dot out with a pin or nail. I put the scrap jig in a vise, insert the rod and hacksaw it off. I CA glue the dots a little proud in the fretboard holes and sand them flush. I use 1/8" rod usually. For the side dots I put 1/16" rod in and cilp them off with some nippers, glue and sand flush. That's a little faster.

I used to use MOP dots but sometimes the they don't reflect at the same angle and could eventually be a CITES problem for anyone shipping overseas because they can be confused with listed species. The metal dots reflect evenly and are CITIES approved. :)

If you use brass, and cut it on the bandsaw, my advice is don't pick the piece up immediately after cutting. That sucker gets hot and burns both finger AND thumb at the same time.
Guess how I know!

Max

Okay, I am trying to figure out how to cut Koa into 3/16 in diameter dots. I think I want to stay away from end grain and do this on the flat. Anybody have an idea?

How about a 3/16 brass tube that can be purchased at a hobby shop? Chuck it in a drill and sharpen one end against a file or fine sandpaper. Maybe file a few small teeth. Now use the drill press and try to cut a dot. You will probably need to press and clear multiple times.

I’ve used this on balsa in model airplane building. With patience, I think it should work on harder wood. Please report back if you try this.

Mervin Friesen

Okay, I am trying to figure out how to cut Koa into 3/16 in diameter dots. I think I want to stay away from end grain and do this on the flat. Anybody have an idea?

Not sure if this will work, but I have Koa dots that are 3/16 in in diameter. They're pretty small, 3/32" in height. I will have to be careful. Set up a practice board and a depth stop when I drill.

I'm also unsure about the pattern. That looks fairly busy to me. I'm a guitar picker not a ukulele man. I welcome your perspectives

I may not be fast but I sure am slow! :)

Attachments

• 20180607_184401.jpg
    20180607_184401.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180607_184907.jpg
    20180607_184907.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 33
I almost always have single dots at 3 5 7 9 14 and double at 12. Sometimes put a bling thing at 5. Pete Howletts Owl is a better example than mine.

Top Bottom