Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make your own fretboard dots?

Lately I've used aluminum or brass rods to make the dots.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post

What diameter holes on the face? I'm guessing not more than 3/16" (what, 4.5 mm?) Twist drill, or??
    I'm kinda picky on what looks good when it comes to dots. Some I think are too big and some are too small. I think 5mm looks good on a tenor fretboard and 1/16" on the side dots... Your best bet for drill bits for the fretboard holes is to use a brad point bit like these Fisch bits. Pricey for sure, but they cut with no tear out or wander. I love them.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools..._Bit_Sets.html

I think I will be 'picky as well. And paying for the right tool is a good idea.
    Thanks, Sequoia! :-)

Ken, that is fascinating!
    Is your process for that detailed somewhere? I'd like to see it, or pictures of what they look like. :-)

Another option is to fill the holes with stone dust. Below I used turquoise. Easy and looks good.

DSCN7368.jpg

How cool is that! You folks just come up with all sorts of amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
    Ken, that is fascinating!
    Is your process for that detailed somewhere? I'd like to see it, or pictures of what they look like. :-)
    I drill a hole in a scrap of wood to the depth I want for the dot. I drill a smaller hole through the scrap so I can push the dot out with a pin or nail. I put the scrap jig in a vise, insert the rod and hacksaw it off. I CA glue the dots a little proud in the fretboard holes and sand them flush. I use 1/8" rod usually. For the side dots I put 1/16" rod in and cilp them off with some nippers, glue and sand flush. That's a little faster.

I used to use MOP dots but sometimes the they don't reflect at the same angle and could eventually be a CITES problem for anyone shipping overseas because they can be confused with listed species. The metal dots reflect evenly and are CITIES approved.

If you use brass, and cut it on the bandsaw, my advice is don't pick the piece up immediately after cutting. That sucker gets hot and burns both finger AND thumb at the same time.
    Guess how I know!

Max

😲
    Owie!!!!!

Thread Information