Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: which ukulele should I buy???

Default HELP: which ukulele should I buy???

Hey ukuleleunderground-community,

I would really appreciate your help. I want to buy a ukulele as a gift for my wife. She is a passionate player and has been learning and playing ukulele since 3 years. She still uses her beginner ukulele and I wanna help her get better, by stepping up here ukulele game :-)

I want to spend around max. 300 Dollars.

I found these 2 that I liked:

https://www.thomann.de/at/fender_mon...f=search_prv_4

https://www.thomann.de/at/kumu_tf72_skinny_body_koa.htm

Which one would you recommend? Or which other ukulele in this price range would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Lots of choice in that price range. Fenders don't get a lot of respect in uke circles. But I have had several and liked them fine.

If you can get to a proper retailer where she can chose her own and have it properly set up, that would be better than us helping you chose. There are many personal choices in ukes, what size, how the neck feels, how it sounds to you. But if she has been playing for three years with her starter, it is definitely time for an upgrade.

I know someone who received a very nice and expensive uke from her husband. But she doesn't like the size, neck or sound, so she never plays it. But she won't tell him because the gesture was so loving.

Welcome aboard, to you & your wife.

I think you should be looking at Kala & Ohana, great ukes at good prices.

Ukes are personal, so I would surprise her with the money, in a lovely card, so that she could go & buy something that she would like & play, that way you will both win.

(Purchase from one of the recommended dealers you will see mentioned on this forum.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome to UU.

I second Croaky Keith. I owned several Kala and Ohana Ukes well within that price range and have been pleased with their qualities.

However please get it from a reputable seller to ensure proper setup. I would pick a properly setup basic uke over a poorly setup expensive uke any day.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Depending on your wife's personality, you may want to go Gift Certificate route and or take her to an Ukulele store on her Birthday and let her pick one. If you must buy one to have on the Birthday, I second the Ohana or Kala recommendation. Both really good for the money. A name like fender costs extra $$$.

As others have mentioned, the Fender is kinda sad. A search on Thoman in your price range showed this, which has some very favourable reviews on Amazon. Not sure if it's solid wood though:

https://www.thomann.de/at/prod_AR_437678.html

Would be my choice for in that price range.

Or for a bit more:

https://www.thomann.de/at/ortega_ruaca_te.htm

Never heard of that brand before though.

Right, you can't go wrong with Kala and Ohana.
    You need to buy where (not Amazon) you can get the uke set up for her hands. You might try Mim's Ukes, online, she's very good at matching up the uke with the owner, even if she doesn't know her. Mim is very picky and does a great job. She probably sells more Ohana ukes than anyone else in the US.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I'll second Nickie's recommendation of Mim (and Ohana). I just worked with Mim for the first time this past week and was very satisfied with all aspects of the transaction, including the nice setup work and very quick turnaround time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    I'll second ... <accidental snip> ...
    I just ordered an Opio acacia tenor from Mim. It will be delivered tomorrow, so I haven't yet seen her setup work. But I ordered from her in part because of her great reputation and attention to detail. Mim spends as much time setting up inexpensive starter ukes as she does top-of-the-line instruments. That's very impressive!

She's been wonderful to work with, and I'm probably not going to sleep tonight knowing my uke will be here tomorrow. BTW, I like Ohanas too. There are a couple on my "want to buy" list.
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Concert: Kala ziricote, KA-ZCT-C
    Tenor: Mainland red cedar/rosewood; Kala solid mahogany, KA-SMHT
    Baritone: Kala solid cedar top acacia, KA-ABP-CTG

Quote Originally Posted by twokatmew View Post
    I just ordered an Opio acacia tenor from Mim......... BTW, I like Ohanas too. There are a couple on my "want to buy" list.
    My 'best' uke is an Opio long neck concert, I think you'll love yours - I also have a few Ohana solid mahogany ukes, one of which is again a long neck concert - I like their tone & 'feel'.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information