Kala KA-T or Kala KA-PWT?

Bombinello

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I hope there is no such topic, I tried to search for it but I didn't find anything. I'm new here in UU, so forgive me if I'm just to stupid to find it :'(.
I already play the ukulele - soprano one, mostly with chords and simple strumming, but I want to improve my skills and try fingerpicking and more complicated stuff. Unfortunately my hands aren't small enough to play it on soprano and I wanted to change the size of my ukulele. I felt in love with tenor size, and I tried to find sth for me. Unfortunately in my country (Poland) it's not so easy to find uke in this size which isn't very expensive...
But I found 2 interesting models:
Kala KA-PWT and Kala KA-T (also TG but I prefer matt not this glossy one)
Have anyone had any experience with these models? Could you please help me in choosing one by showing your opinions about both of them?
Thank you and I hope to see your answers soon! :)

I don’t play Tenor - tried it once and hated it as the frets where too far apart for my hands - but I do play Kala Soprano and Concert sizes. My experience with the Kala laminates is that the more you spend the more you get, but I’m also very happy with the basic Kala KA-P (Soprano) that I’ve had for a few years now - well after a set-up, bone nut and saddle and Martin 600’s on it. For a first Tenor I suggest that a KA-T is all the instrument that you need for a couple of years and more, but if you’re happy to spend more than is needed then I anticipate that you’ll enjoy the KA-PWT.

The Soprano scale is maybe a bit tight, but if rather than having the frets spaced wider apart (on a bigger scale) you get a special nut that spaces the strings further apart you will find things easier. Likewise the other sizes, wider string spacing helps.

This chap does a review in Polish so see what he says: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzC8exfavW0 . I don’t understand a word of Polish but have gained from just watching and listening to his playing.

Last edited:
I have a Kala KA-T, it's a good quality uke, & not too expensive - I use low G on mine, (& have had it in DGBE tuning also). :)

Worth the money, it has a nice tone, & is fairly loud.

(As an aside, I've had all sizes of Kala ukes, & they've all been good.)

As above, you don't have to go to tenor size to finger pick, soprano will suffice, but a concert is better - a concert scale is closer to the soprano scale than a tenor too, so will be easier to adjust to - worth thinking about.

Hey, thank you for all advices also these ones about choosing concert one but I really like tenor sound, because it's deeper and... I just love it :D
I found a good music store where now both of these ukuleles cost the same, so here it's not important :)
Well I really like the look of PWT version but if I understood well it's not worth its price, right?

Both models are made from laminate wood, so they won't sound much different. Lamination is mostly done for looks, and the Pacific Walnut looks a bit nicer or more special, as it is more figured. If you prefer the look, go with the PWT. It will most likely sound no worse than the KA-T.

Hey, thank you for all advices also these ones about choosing concert one but I really like tenor sound, because it's deeper and... I just love it :D
I found a good music store where now both of these ukuleles cost the same, so here it's not important :)
Well I really like the look of PWT version but if I understood well it's not worth its price, right?

I hope that I haven’t given you the impression that the PWT version is not worth its price as my experience of Kala brand products is that the more you pay the more you get, but you’re likely to get less than proportionally more - depends how you value small improvements and fancy finishes.

If the two Ukes are priced the same and the Basic KA-T isn’t overpriced in your supplier’s shop then, I think, you’d be almost daft not to buy the PWT version. In my experience all laminates are (due to design and construction detail) not equal in sound and playability, and then on top of that you have to pay extra for a fancy finish - so there are two different factors feeding into the price.

In brief: if the price is right then go for the PWT version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom