Gold frets?

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
Firstbuild. Tenor that is going to have a bird's-eye maple fretboard with Koa peghead veneer and a redwood top. Neck is Alaskan yellow cedar, sides and back are quilted maple.

I've always thought gold frets are attractive. Don't know anything about them. Any thoughts or opinions? Pictures?

I use Evo FW9666 from LMII. It's a little harder than nickel silver but not so much that it needs to be handled differently. Keep in mind that tang widths aren't standard so you need to think about what slot width to use. I cut slots with CNC and, for KW9666, use a .028" bit to avoid too much bowing of the board. At that width, each fret should be seated with glue. Various builders use HHG, TiteBond or CA.

You can get Gold EVO wire in 2 different tang widths. Jescar sells it. Just be sure to get the one you require.

I use the Fret Wire 37053-200-EVO. Note that it is the 0.200" tang width to fit the 0.230 fret slot.
I think you mean .023" Allen.:)

Thanks, folks! In comparing what you've shared with what I heard from Brian of Griffin Ukuleles I am sold on the narrower, lower fret wire and so I ordered a 4' length from LMI. PLUS some tools! (mucho mas dinero!)

Just gotta do it!

Hope to have a fretboard next week. Meantime... working on shaping the neck. :eek:

I was buying the Gold Evo wire by the pound but can't seem to find my source. I was paying about $135 for around 40 2' pieces. Don't see it available in quantity on the Jescar site.

I looked, specifically for the 37053 and saw what you saw (or... didn't see...) not available by the pound.

In my case, I ordered a 4' piece to get this first one done. THEN I'll work on inventory. :)

For the very fine wire apparently its not possible to buy it in a roll (pound) because its too brittle to roll. I asked them a while ago why that was so.

Top Bottom