Martin soprano S-O or OXK

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Hello Gang!! I recently just found a NOS (new old stock) Martin S-O soprano ukulele with new hard shell case for sale at a bit under the price of a new OXK with it's gig bag. Now, I have heard and read a few negatives about the S-O model, and was wondering if you think the laminate OXK is a better instrument over the all solid S-O. I would love to know your thoughts.... Thanks!

I like Martin SO's so much I have two. I also have an OXK ,also a great uke. I would go with the SO. All wood , vibrates when you play, feels better, sounds better, go with the SO.
I also like the 12 fret fretboard , I dont like the look of the extended fretboard and for me the extra frets are useless. They sound like the tines of a comb.
I usually have an SO sitting on my coffee table all winter for the last 10 years with no problems , this week it's a 30's Style 1 on the table.
Get both , you wont regret it.
You may not get another chance to get a mint SO , There are quite a few OXK's around .

Last edited:
Thanks, PP! I appreciate the feedback and sharing your experience.

I also have the OXK and recently got the S-O. Two different, yet great, ukuleles. Since the OXK is still in production, go with the S-O.

I also was leery due to the less than enthusiastic feedback from old threads. Glad I decided to make up my own mind.

If you really want a Martin Soprano, see if you can play a 1960s or older one for a couple of minutes. Some one you know must have one even it isn't for sale. In my opinion you'll feel and hear the difference.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! As luck would have it, I have a S-O coming to me soon :)

That is a great idea spongeuke, but sadly no older Martins at hand between the very few musician friends I have. (I should really get out more)

Late to the party, but you wouldn't go wrong either way. The advantage of the OXK is it's laminate and wouldn't need as much TLC as the S-0. (Watch humidity very closely!!) I owned and sold an OXK (d'oh!). Recently picked up a C1K and remember how sweetly a Martin plays. Wish I had both. Have fun!

Thanks for sharing, hendulele! I have several acoustic instruments and always be sure to keep them at a good humidity level.

Top Bottom