Fret slot depth?

no- I slot, then glue the FB on, then sand level etc, then fret.

Thank you, Beau. Hmmm... never having done this before, I think I might have overlooked an important step. I sort of thought this fretboard was fairly flat, but you sand it after you cut the slots. You don't put the frets in before you put it on the neck. You taper it before you glue it on? I assume you start with something like 150 grit and go up from there. End with... 320 grit or so?

I thickness my FB's to 5mm,
Then slot,
Then shape,
Then glue the FB to the neck,
Spray the finish,
Glue neck on,
Then final sand the FB as I always get a slight hump over the body which has to be removed before fretting.

Some fret before gluing the FB on, some fret after glueing the FB on but before finishing.
Neither is the more correct way- the only correct thing is the end result which is to not have a hump where the neck meets the body.

Lots of builders will install frets before the fret board is attached to the neck. Reason being is that the frets at the upper end of the fret board will in most cases be over the sound board with little support underneath for hammering them in. You have to take special care in that area.

I've always installed frets before the fret board is glued to the neck.

Once I finally caught on that the nut end of the fretboard has nothing to do with the location of the pin in the crosscut sled, I was able to move ahead. Once I figured out that you are going to cut the fretboard off at that first slot (which I finally understood to be the nut slot), i understood that you could put that pin anywhere so long as you leave a quarter of an inch or so beyond where the blade would cut that nut slot. So I set the pin up about a half an inch to the right of the saw's path. I feel that my natural inclination puts the nut end to my left facing the saw. I cut 19 fret slots per the LMI plan. And I am pleased!

Thank you, all, for your patience with me!! Seems like everything along this journey looms very challenging. But looking back on it I see that it isn't rocket surgery. ;-)

Attachments

• fret sawing sled.jpg
    fret sawing sled.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
  • fret slots look good.jpg
    fret slots look good.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 14
one last tip, if your jig is like mine, it is able to cut more then 19 slots.
So you don't accidentally cut 20 slots, start at the 19th slot and work towards the nut end.- Fool (almost) proof!

Top Bottom