Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fret slot depth?

Default Fret slot depth?

So I have ordered fretwire for the tenor ukulele I'm building. From LMI it is the gold FW 37053. Looking at the information they offer I see that the total fret height is .094 inches and the crown height is .037 inches. The tang height itself, which translates to the fret slot depth, is not listed. But if you do the math subtracting the crown height from the total fret height you get .057 inches. That is less than 1/16 of an inch! Is that what I'm shooting for? Making a cut that's less than one sixteenth of an inch deep?

Insecurity is having me for lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
    So I have ordered fretwire for the tenor ukulele I'm building. From LMI it is the gold FW 37053. Looking at the information they offer I see that the total fret height is .094 inches and the crown height is .037 inches. The tang height itself, which translates to the fret slot depth, is not listed. But if you do the math subtracting the crown height from the total fret height you get .057 inches. That is less than 1/16 of an inch! Is that what I'm shooting for? Making a cut that's less than one sixteenth of an inch deep?

Insecurity is having me for lunch...
    If you wait until you have the fretwire on hand you can then guage the exact depth you need and can experiment on some scrap.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

That certainly is good advice. I was hoping to make a crosscut sled for the slotting process but wasn't sure how thik to make the platform. So I was working backward from depth of cut (i.e. how high above the platform the blade needs to reach...)
    But if all one is cutting is less than a 1/16" then I should be able to get away with 3/4" for the platform. Just antsy...

That looks to be about right. I cut my fret slots 1.7mm deep.

Okay, so I built a cross-cut sled and I got my fret wire from LMI and I found a piece of quilted Maple to practice on, cut a fret slot and pounded a fret in. Not knowing what I'm doing I'm obligated to ask for input. The fret slot is deeper then the tang as it should be, but I don't know how this compares. Meaning I don't know if it's too deep or it could be a little deeper or why? Open to counsel, wisdom, advice -all of the above.

Newbie Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

In preparing this fret slotting crosscut sled, I don't know how to determine where to put the registration pin for the template. As I understand the process, you tape the template onto the fretboard and register the template and fretboard against that pin, cut a slot and then move to the next position. How do you know where to install that pin?

My Real name is Terry Harris

Thanks, Terry. I'd looked at that but he didnt address my question of where to locate the pin. How far from the blade and on which side?

In theory it doesn't matter how far the in is from the blade location or which side except for the boring practical consideration of the fretboard falling off the template. My manual version has a registration blade and is in the cutting slot.
    Not having built a table saw version I would put the pin about a thumbs width or less of the blade slot. To be fancy I would try and allign it so by lining the end of the template flush with the fretboard the top cut would be the width of a nut from the end of the fretboard.

To do this I would attach the template to a scrap fretboard (pine or ply or even MDF) flush with the end then mark on that where I want my nut slot., cut that by eye, turn the saw off, put the blade in the slot with everything on the sled and mark where the pin goes.
    Last edited by Titchtheclown; 05-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Chuck, I do it differently as I use a sliding miter saw but the principal is the same. I just measured my registration pin and it's 0.700 from center of the pin to center of the blade.
    0.700 or 17.78mm. I learning to use mm's these days
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Thread Information