Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Uke design/construction 'break throughs' ... what is next?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansastan
    Posts
    13,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I read your earlier post, and I'm happy you found something that has inspired you. I did look into rhythm changes while I am not interested in pursuing it, I do play every day and add to my repertoire from time to time. For me playing the ukulele is just fun.

    What I would like is a ukulele that sounds good and plays well when the humidity is so high the sweat from my arms could pool up on the bridge. Or park my car in 110 degree heat and not worry that the neck will have a bow in it or the soundboard will crack. At this point the completely molded outdoor uke doesn't get there for me.

    John
    I have kept a concert scale Flea in my car for 3 years, after carrying it for a month on a 500 mile trek. I live in Kansas. Winter lows are below 0. Summer highs reach 110. Inside the car it gets much hotter. The only attention it has needed is to adjust the friction tuners so it will stay in tune. Strings are Martin M600. Sounds way better than an Outdoor Use to my ear. Handles the extremes well. Just a regular Flea: laminate top, plastic fretboard, and concert neck. They even sent me a replacement tuner for free after one was broken going through airport security.

    There are two drawbacks to the Flea. The back can slip around a lot. The top is recessed into the molded back. The resulting edge can get uncomfortable pressing into your forearm.

    It's not the best uke I own. It is the best one to leave in the car.
    Dig Infinity!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    I have kept a concert scale Flea in my car for 3 years, after carrying it for a month on a 500 mile trek. I live in Kansas. Winter lows are below 0. Summer highs reach 110. Inside the car it gets much hotter. The only attention it has needed is to adjust the friction tuners so it will stay in tune. Strings are Martin M600. Sounds way better than an Outdoor Use to my ear. Handles the extremes well. Just a regular Flea: laminate top, plastic fretboard, and concert neck. They even sent me a replacement tuner for free after one was broken going through airport security.

    There are two drawbacks to the Flea. The back can slip around a lot. The top is recessed into the molded back. The resulting edge can get uncomfortable pressing into your forearm.

    It's not the best uke I own. It is the best one to leave in the car.
    Thanks for the info.

    John

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    There are two drawbacks to the Flea. The back can slip around a lot. The top is recessed into the molded back. The resulting edge can get uncomfortable pressing into your forearm.
    For $5.00 you can get a pair of Grip Strips for the back of the Flea. I have them on a Flea and a Fluke. Just like the wooden fretboard, I wouldn't have a Flea or Fluke without them. They are black, so they are almost invisible on the uke.

    http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    521

    Default

    I had an idea yesterday. What we need is an electric uke with a headphone jack. When you play it, you hear your beautiful music, but those around you hear nothing. Although the strings are vibrating, I'm sure there's a way to prevent the sound from traveling. Maybe this exists already.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brownsburg,In
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Jerry , I have a several year old Eleuke with the headphone jack. Works great.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fowl View Post
    Jerry , I have a several year old Eleuke with the headphone jack. Works great.
    Clever!

    http://www.eleuke.com/

  7. #37

    Default

    My Teton solid body also has a headphone jack and a line in. It is the perfect instrument to practice with for me. I can play along with a backing track and no one else has to hear it.

    John

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansastan
    Posts
    13,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    For $5.00 you can get a pair of Grip Strips for the back of the Flea. I have them on a Flea and a Fluke. Just like the wooden fretboard, I wouldn't have a Flea or Fluke without them. They are black, so they are almost invisible on the uke.

    http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm
    Wooden fretboard? Yeah. No. Not for a car uke.

    Grip strips? Again, car uke. I'm sitting down.
    Dig Infinity!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Here's the latest thing, done by a TBUS member whom I know. 3D printed uke.
    3D uke.jpg
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco CA USA
    Posts
    11,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    But the Blackbird is already on the list. Its the Blackbird that is the groundbreaking uke.

    Its not carbon fiber like the KLOS. Its some sort of flax(?) based HPL epoxy sort of a thing. But the Blackbird is the one that successfully broke all the rules in construction and in design. KLOS simple made a traditional double bout out of a different material and marketed it to the same general crowd that buys durable ukuleles for use outside, which is why I think of it more as a something that follows the OUTDOOR UKULELE brand of ukes.

    I'll give the KLOS credit for using carbon fiber, no argument from me on that point, and is is different than the OUTDOOR on many details but I see it as following others rather than doing something that is more ground breaking? Maybe I'm missing the point on the shift in materials to carbon fiber, maybe I should consider that more ground breaking?
    Also, Blackbird has been making carbon fiber ukuleles and guitars for a number of years (it has discontinued its carbon fiber tenor ukulele). If building ukuleles out of carbon fiber is a breakthrough, it's not Klos's breakthrough.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •