Uke design/construction 'break throughs' ... what is next?

Here is something I've not seen before. Magnetically suspended soundboard for ukulele.

Interesting

I wonder if it would cause electronic interference in a group on stage where everyone is hooked up to amps

There's another thread on Gibson's bankruptcy and going into the uke market, perhaps they'll introduce "robotic tuners" for us. If so, maybe you want to keep an open spot on your list :drool:

Thank you for posting, I was aware of this innovation on the Lankai and was hoping to see this kind of thing developed & refined even further by other manufacturers :D

I believe they discontinued it last year. I don't believe people saw any real value in the upcharge. While the system works, and has been used on guitars, it just didn't attract buyers. The one uke I have that has that feature came into my possession at below wholesale pricing so I certainly was unwilling to pay for adjustable saddle, and I am apparently part of the majority that didn't think it was worth an added cost.

If you really want the feature I suppose you could commission a custom uke and have the builder add it. I fear you'll pay far too much and achieve far too little.

I'd order a uke with an adjustable saddle without hesitation. I loved my old Fender electric with the adjustable intonation. That's a great looking saddle Campbell. I bet you can dial it in with no trouble at all.

Not sure why having an adjustable saddle would "achieve far too little". For myself, having the ability to fine tune intonation for different venues and conditions as well as fine tuning trying a new string set would well be worth the cost. It'd be one of the first options for me if it was offered.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if too many shape their necks asymmetrically. The luthier who made my parlor guitar is making me a "Jumbo" baritone uke. It's more like a tenor guitar with nylon strings, 21.88" scale 1 3/8" width.

Most necks are shaped down the centerline so as the person moves up the neck, they must change the angle and shape of their hands and wrists to make the chord. With his type of neck, the neck is shaped to follow more angular curve to the body. When playing up the neck, there is no need to change hand and wrist positions to make the chord shape as the angle is shaped into the neck. It's really a nice ergonomic addition.

George Thomas Guitars. He's been collaborating with another woman guitarist for years working on guitars and ukes with ergonomics in mind. I'm at the stage where any innovation that'll allow me to keep playing is worth it. It's at the point where I may need to start learning to play a slide.

Last edited:
Most necks are shaped down the centerline so as the person moves up the neck, they must change the angle and shape of their hands and wrists to make the chord. With his type of neck, the neck is shaped to follow more angular curve to the body. When playing up the neck, there is no need to change hand and wrist positions to make the chord shape as the angle is shaped into the neck. It's really a nice ergonomic addition.

I'm trying to visualize this. Do you have any pics? Sounds interesting.

Wow, I never knew electric tenor guitars were a thing!
I learn something every day....
A friend of mine who used to travel and sing with Burl Ives plays acoustic tenor guitar, among others. It's his favorite instrument. I call it his industrial size uke.

Now, as far as breakthroughs that are useful, watch this video. If it doesn't make you smile, nothing will.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeujVGG3ZA

Nickie,

Mahalo nui loa for sharing the video! It is extremely heartwarming!!! ... and YES, it did make me SMILE from ear to ear!!! Loved it!!!:shaka:

Top Bottom