Classical Guitar Strings on Baritone Ukulele

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have a Kala Baritone that still had the strings on it that it came with. They started sounding dull so I changed them. I put on Classical Guitar Strings D'Adddario Classic Nylon Strings, normal tension. I used strings 5, 4, 3,2, from the set and I tune my ululele to D, G, B, E. They sound OK but not quite as loud as the other strings. Is that normal? The size of strings is: .0319 .0402 .029 .035.

I have a Kala Baritone that still had the strings on it that it came with. They started sounding dull so I changed them. I put on Classical Guitar Strings D'Adddario Classic Nylon Strings, normal tension. I used strings 5, 4, 3,2, from the set and I tune my ululele to D, G, B, E. They sound OK but not quite as loud as the other strings. Is that normal? The size of strings is: .0319 .0402 .029 .035.

Different makes of strings will give different results on different instruments, its like rolling dice. Most Kala come with Aquila strings which are loud so going to nylon could decrease volume. Whenever I use classical guitar strings I use numbers 1, 2, 4 and 5. Because the 1 and 2 strings will match the diameter of a baritone uke set, approx .024"-.028" on the E string and .030"-.032" on the B string. The top two strings you are using that are numbers 2 and 3 are large in diameter which equals warm. Warm equals quieter compared to thinner which equals brighter which the human ear perceives as louder.

You did the right thing. Using 5,4,3,2 from any classical guitar set is the best combination to use for DGBE tuning on baritone uke.

As for loudness, it may be that particular brand of strings isn't as loud. Also new strings take time to settle and sound their best.
D'addario are mellow sounding strings. The tone has warmth and depth, but may not have as an aggressive attack to the tone as Aquila Nylguts, but that also depends on your technique.

Top Bottom