Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth trying to get this fixed in Burma?

Default Is it worth trying to get this fixed in Burma?

I haven't got the opinion of a local luthier (there's not that many here in Yangon, Myanmar) yet, but before I even bother, I thought I'd seek an opinion here. I don't know if it's even worth trying to fix this uke. This Hulala concert uke only cost me $85 in Bangkok.

On a recent motorcycle journey, the uke case accidentally got positioned in front of the exhaust pipe of the bike. The heat from the 6-hour ride burned a hole in the case and then destroyed the headstock. Tuning pegs melted. The nut melted.

I don't know. Whaddya think? Is this fixable?

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Sure, why not? Replace the tuning machines, change to a bone nut.
    If the headstock is a little discolored, then you've got a story to tell.

A Torrified uke. They charge more for that.

Easy fix , however it will probably cost you the price of the uke. Does it have sentimental value?, could be cheaper to replace it.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

The nut and the tuning machines are replaceable and it may not cost that much where you live. No harm in asking.

What I would be concerned about and we cant see in the picture is did the neck stay straight after all the heat? If the neck warped at all I wouldn't spend the money on fixing it.

Four tuning heads and nut should not be a lot of money. If you like the ukulele, fix it.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    The nut and the tuning machines are replaceable and it may not cost that much where you live. No harm in asking.

What I would be concerned about and we cant see in the picture is did the neck stay straight after all the heat? If the neck warped at all I wouldn't spend the money on fixing it.
    No, the neck appears undamaged, and the the charring of the headstock has given it a nice color, so I'll see if I can get it fixed. Just waiting for a local luthier recommended by a friend to get back to me.
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

I bet the strings are a bit melted as well.

Glancing at your vids riding your motorcycle where you do I would assume your a resourceful guy. Pretend the uke is your bike and you're stuck you'll do fine fixing it yourself I would think.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I also liked your blog/vids. Very kool
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Thread Information