SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Fingers in ears young listeners, here's some Jamaican Calypso filth done in my best Jamaican accent which wouldn't sound out of place in an old Benny Hill sketch !!

Every once in a while, a Season comes up that has a song I never thought I could do, but then I work and it comes through.

One question for our host - can I assume that when you say 'Calypso' you are including 'Soca'? (soul calypso from Trinidad) I have a deep and abiding love for David Rudder, so I'd like to try some of one of his numbers.

Go for it SOCA is A OK

Ahoy good people
Here is my first attempt at Calypso. This song is originally by Lord Invader but I first heard this song in th eFallout video-game series where it was performed by the Andrews Sisters.
Here is my take

Ahoy good people
Here is my first attempt at Calypso. This song is originally by Lord Invader but I first heard this song in th eFallout video-game series where it was performed by the Andrews Sisters.
Here is my take

Thanks for that... who would have thought two chords could sound so good.
I have noticed that many Calypsos are based around just two chords and it is all
down to getting that strum right.

I checked out Lord Invader and he gives the lowdown on how the song was stolen from
him. He sued and had to wait 7 years before he got paid. The calypso was plagiarized,
modified and given to the Andrew sisters by Morey Amsterdam The song became a huge US hit
for the Andrew Sisters but many radio stations would not play it because of the references to
alcohol and ladies of the night.

Last edited:
Fingers in ears young listeners, here's some Jamaican Calypso filth done in my best Jamaican accent which wouldn't sound out of place in an old Benny Hill sketch !!

You have been a very naughty boy. Now go and stand in a corner and learn a skiffle song to redeem yourself :)

My turn for skiffle, and a great sing along song (so I don't have to carry it ... )

Here's another David Allan Coe version of Calypso from the late 70's. Super fun tune I think.

Not discouraged by my attempts to marry a genre I know nothing about to a pop song I love in Trent's Bluegrass week, here is what I intended as a Calypso version of the White Stripes 'Fell In Love With a Girl'

And by Calypso I mean I paid attention to how I was strumming, put on a funny voice, and added some rudimentary accompaniment on a pink Hello Kitty keyboard that we rescued from a charity shop years ago.

In honour of our host I also ****ed about with some video effects until the post-processed video skipped a bit.

This is about 2 hours work. I even lit a candle because the lighting in my living room is rubbish

before the beatles were in the beatles, three of them were in the quarrymen - a skiffle group. here's one of their songs. i hope it's skiffle-y enough??? wiki tells me it's skiffle, blues, AND rock and roll :confused:

"in spite of all the danger"

Nice production especially the barbershop quartet harmonies.
Singing harmonies takes a special skill. Some folks can just do it
without thinking and never hit a bum note. To do it for four voices
is a special acheivement. Does it come naturally to you or did you have
to learn how to do it?

I grew up singing this kind of of stuff in church. I've also had a lot of training on it. Thanks!

While grousing about how hard it would be to play a skiffle song this week, Melissa asked me what skiffle is. “Kinda Jazz Folk fusion played on found objects, homemade stuff...”
“You made an ukulele...at least that is part of it right?”
Right. I built this Uke in my garage right after I started playing back in 2010. I made the resonator out of a tart pan and the pickups are phone piezo’s dipped in 8 coats of tool dip, sandwiched in beer bottle caps and then mounted on 1/8” walnut. No plans- just lots of man cave time, and I don’t play it enough so here we go.

While grousing about how hard it would be to play a skiffle song this week, Melissa asked me what skiffle is. “Kinda Jazz Folk fusion played on found objects, homemade stuff...”
“You made an ukulele...at least that is part of it right?”
Right. I built this Uke in my garage right after I started playing back in 2010. I made the resonator out of a tart pan and the pickups are phone piezo’s dipped in 8 coats of tool dip, sandwiched in beer bottle caps and then mounted on 1/8” walnut. No plans- just lots of man cave time, and I don’t play it enough so here we go.

That is a fine sounding instrument, It has a great ringing tone to it.
That was a very good recording for being done outside. No traffic
noises, or the wind blowing through the mike, which are the bane of my
life when I try to do an outside recording.

Perhaps jug band music and skiffle have a lot in common in that both were
played on found objects. With skiffle the two most prominent found object
"instruments" were the sewing thimble to play the washboard as a percusive
instrument, and the one stringed bass made from a tea chest and broomstick
and on the more sophisticated versions a curtain ring was used to slide up and
down the pole to produce different notes.

Last edited:
before the beatles were in the beatles, three of them were in the quarrymen - a skiffle group. here's one of their songs. i hope it's skiffle-y enough??? wiki tells me it's skiffle, blues, AND rock and roll :confused:
"in spite of all the danger"

Remember the old days of SOTU when bonus points were given for
the showing of bare knees... you just won yourself some extra points
there BEV.

That is an interesting song... sort of DO-WAP feel to it. I remember when
you started playing the UKE you had a very unique style... you only played
upstrokes... do you remember those day... those were the days my friend.
I think you brought some of that style back for this song.

Remember the old days of SOTU when bonus points were given for
the showing of bare knees... you just won yourself some extra points
there BEV.

That is an interesting song... sort of DO-WAP feel to it. I remember when
you started playing the UKE you had a very unique style... you only played
upstrokes... do you remember those day... those were the days my friend.
I think you brought some of that style back for this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXlnzkSX8g
lol!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ha! with summer definitely feeling like it's here, start notching up those bare knee bonus points for me right now, people!!!!!!! (actually, very often i go and put some longs on before i start recording a vid, just to spare people my pale, paler than pale, and really rather knobbly knees, however sometimes it's just too hot to do that!!!!)

ah yes, the old upstrokes - those were the days, my friend. we thought they'd never end. we'd sing and dance (and uke) forever and a day :rock:

thank you rob!!

Not discouraged by my attempts to marry a genre I know nothing about to a pop song I love in Trent's Bluegrass week, here is what I intended as a Calypso version of the White Stripes 'Fell In Love With a Girl'
And by Calypso I mean I paid attention to how I was strumming, put on a funny voice, and added some rudimentary accompaniment on a pink Hello Kitty keyboard that we rescued from a charity shop years ago.
In honour of our host I also ****ed about with some video effects until the post-processed video skipped a bit.
This is about 2 hours work. I even lit a candle because the lighting in my living room is rubbish

Looks like Miss Louden has sparked a revolution when she talked about her new
editing software. It is is nice to see people stepping out of their comfort zone
and not only producing good music but also tweeking the visuals to go with it.
It adds another layer to the skill set, and also generates atmosphere.

The usual trouble is the static camera and if the eye can be distracted away
from that by visual means then it usually adds to the video experiance.
I have noted that Jon and Joo will film each other and the camera will move around
Sometimes they will just illustrate a song... another layer to the creative process
and Turtledrum will often use photos to accompany a song... and when done well
it adds new depth and dimension to a song.

One last thing I loved the Hello Kitty touch... now if you had found it whilst skip diving
that would have been just perfect, since it encapsulates the ethos of making music with
found objects. Speaking of which Arcade Fire do a wonderful job of playing a glossy magazine
and an elevator wall... there might even be some Kitty in there.

My turn for skiffle, and a great sing along song (so I don't have to carry it ... )

I think it will be a toss up between Midnight Special and Worried man blues for the Skiffle
theme song of the week. Great Sing along song

Top Bottom