SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Written by calypso singer Sir Lancelot in 1943 and changed a lot over the years. I bet you all know this one!

Classic song. I have recorded it myself a long time ago.
In the UK you had the Two-Tone movement and many
West Indian songs were sung by groups like the Specials
or Madness. Most of these band had black and white musicians
and their aim was a desire to transcend and defuse racial tensions
in Thatcher-era Britain.

completely inspired by ryan's fabulous white stripes calypso!!!!!! :bowdown:

thought i'd TRY a homemade calypso-y sort of thing

YEAH BABY!!!
Remind me once again where did that catch phrase come from?
Some misinformed people would associate it with Austin Powers.
But I have historical and conclusive evidence that it was first used
on Ukulele Underground. Correct me if I am wrong.

YEAH BABY!!!
Remind me once again where did that catch phrase come from?
Some misinformed people would associate it with Austin Powers.
But I have historical and conclusive evidence that it was first used
on Ukulele Underground. Correct me if I am wrong.

lol!!!!! yeah i totally invented the phrase. then austin powers stole it, WENT BACK IN TIME, and used it in his films. WOT a disgrace!!!

Could be right about the theme song for this week.
It is strange how music migrates from Leadbelly to Guthrie
Music was music and it you liked it you sung it and there was never
a second thought about it, but nowadays the SJW's see clothes
or hairstyles as cultural appropriation. and not as a celebration.

Except back in those days it actually was cultural appropriation, and had a real impact on the culture appropriated, just no-one gave a damn.

I've played two Lonnie Donegan songs this week with quite dark themes which he then whited up and made to sound cheery.

It's still a problem nowadays but naturally everyone wants in on the social media echo chamber so they come up with ridiculous ways of being offended. That shouldn't invalidate the actual issues though.

Except back in those days it actually was cultural appropriation, and had a real impact on the culture appropriated, just no-one gave a damn.

I've played two Lonnie Donegan songs this week with quite dark themes which he then whited up and made to sound cheery.

It's still a problem nowadays but naturally everyone wants in on the social media echo chamber so they come up with ridiculous ways of being offended. That shouldn't invalidate the actual issues though.

The whiteman wearing dreadlocks seems to be a major target.
but I have seen a video by a blackman who argues that the
Rastafarian style can also be found in India and Africa. and is not
specific to the Caribbean. But as India Arie says "I am not my hair"

Here's another song I've always loved that's on the Skiffle list, so I did it.

I see that even though are in in your serious singer mode with your delivery of this classic skiffle song
you have also upped the anti by challenging BEV for bonus points on the bare knee competition.
The exposure of your knee was discretely done and only for a fleeting moment. I appreciate how subtilely
you accomplished that move, and it was in keeping with gravitas with which you sung the song.
Lonnie would be proud. The Skiffle Kings however would be confused since their 500 miles is different.

Nicely done paul, and really appreciate the work you put into
putting the words and chords up... How does he do that???
Yeah I think that lots of people when they try to marry
chords and words have a terrible time with formating things
so everything lines up properly, but obviously you have the SKILLZ
What is your secret?

Thanks, Rob, for your kind words once again. There's two things you need to do to get your words and chords lined up properly in a UU Forum post.

First, you need to put any formatted text in your posts inside the code - [C*de][/C*de] - tags: click on the '#' in the 'Go Advanced' menu to bring these tags up automatically if you don't want to type them in (C*de = Code, of course, but if I'd typed an 'o' instead of an '*', the tags would have vanished from sight!).

Second, you need to appreciate that any text inside the [C*de][/C*de] tags is displayed in a monospaced font - that's what permits you to line up chords above lyrics. Most digital fonts these days (including, crucially, Verdana, the default font used by the vBB software that powers the UU forums) are TrueType, meaning the spacing between words and letters (the kerning) varies automatically, adjusting the spacing between letters and words to make it all look aesthetically pleasing.

A monospaced font, such as Andale Mono, Consolas, Courier, Courier New or Monaco, however reproduces the effect of an old-school typewriter, and that's what you need here; because you want each space clicked on the spacebar always to occupy the same length - and to occupy the same space as any letter typed on the line below; so if you want your Em chord to line up above the 6th character (letter/space) of the lyric in the line below, you just have to press your spacebar 5 times, then type 'Em'. If you want your B7 chord to line up above the 19th character, simply press your spacebar another 11 times then type 'B7'.
Because your text is monospaced, it will continue to line up correctly, no matter what font size you, or the vBB bulletin board software, choose to display it in.
Code:
12345  12345678901
     Em           B7 
They never have a shilling oh
Don't try typing directly in between the [C*de][/C*de] tags though, it'll mess with your head. vBB uses Verdana all the while it's in 'Reply' mode, so you'll only get to see what your [C*de][/C*de] formatted text will look like once you've hit 'Post' or 'Preview'. If you do try typing directly, you'll quickly get into an awful pickle going back and forth between the 'Preview' and 'Edit' modes trying to get the formatting right: just look at how the formatted text above appears in vBB 'Edit Post' mode when I don't close the [C*de][/C*de] tags:

[Code
12345 12345678901
Em B7
They never have a shilling oh
/Code]

Instead, use Word, Notepad, or any other simple text editor to write out & format your lyrics and chords in a monospaced font; and when you're happy with what you've got, just copy and paste them in between the [C*de][/C*de] tags in your post (for ease, always have the [C*de][/C*de] tags all ready to receive text). You may have to make the odd minor adjustments here and there (use the 'Preview Post' function to check), but it should be pretty well bang on first time round.

So to review: compose your songsheet in a monospaced font using a text editor; copy and paste the formatted, monospaced(!), text between the [C*de][/C*de] tags in your post (click on '#' in the 'Go Advanced' menu to bring the tags up automatically), and you'll be good to go. HTH & good luck!

Now you are just being naughty. You get one boy in the classroom singing Big Bamboo
and the next thing you know the whole classroom are singing it. Go over and stand
in the corner young man with Mark C. and don't come out again until you have
learnt a skiffle song.

Yerss, I should have been paying more attention instead of staring out the window. Sorry sir!

Here's a third from me. Another "Calypso" that's not really Calypso as it originated in Haiti. I've strummed to fit the words and rhythm of the tune rather than to a pattern to fit a specific style and it varies through the song. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :eek:ld: :music:
We don't have banana trees here, so I've just used various British deciduous trees in my video. (some could even be imports - shock! horror!)

Hello again, Rob! I thought "life" was going to get in the way of recording anything else this week, but found time to do this today. (And, no, I don't think I'm the "Calypso Queen" - it's the only one of Calypso Rose's songs to which I could find the chords!)

Yep. I picked this one.

I know the UK and America are separated by a common language, but it is my considered
opinion, and in this regard you may find my comment rather pedantic, but I would humbly
suggest that you strummed it rather than picked it. The strumming I may add, bordered on
being pyrotechnic, and had the song continued for a few seconds more I feared that we might
witness the first case of spontaneous combustion ever recorded on the Ukulele Underground.

Wait now I get it... OK!!! I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip the waitress

Hello again, Rob! I thought "life" was going to get in the way of recording anything else this week, but found time to do this today. (And, no, I don't think I'm the "Calypso Queen" - it's the only one of Calypso Rose's songs to which I could find the chords!)

Nice that you found the time to do A Calypso Rose song. That makes the third one now.
It is amazing that the song only has two chords (Em and B7). When I first heard Calypso Queen
I had that instant ear worm feeling, that I know this song from someplace else. I have even sung
it quite recently. Do you ever get that feeling that the answer is right on the tip of your tongue
and your brain goes flipping through some rolodex cards to find the answer, but it just won't come.
Thinking and processing, then suddenly there is a break trough, and it is if a dam breaks and the
thing you have been searching for just rushes out. It is a glorious feeling when it happens.
Well I had that sort of epiphany while listening to your song. I made the connection. The song
I was looking for was by C.W. Stoneking and called "Love me or die" Only thing is he uses Ebm and Bb7.
I would love it if anybody would take up the challenge and do a cover of Love me or Die.
Have a listen and see if you hear any similarities. I wonder who copied who :)

Here's a third from me. Another "Calypso" that's not really Calypso as it originated in Haiti. I've strummed to fit the words and rhythm of the tune rather than to a pattern to fit a specific style and it varies through the song. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :eek:ld: :music:
We don't have banana trees here, so I've just used various British deciduous trees in my video. (some could even be imports - shock! horror!)

That is the third version of yellow bird that we have now. Looks like it is going neck and neck
with worried man blues for this weeks theme tune. Or perhaps there can be a theme tune
for Skiffle and one for Calypso.

I think it is absolutely shocking that any country should engage in horticultural appropriation.
The Irish should be ashamed of themselves for growing the potato since we all know it belongs
in the Andes, and as for sweet corn well don't get me started on that one.

There should be local plants for local people... We will have no trouble here!!!

Here's another Lonnie. I added a uke break and a chimp.

The Chimp has that "Elvis Lip". It is just a pity that it has a downward curl rather than
an upward curl... otherwise he might have had a brilliant solo career. :)

I can't prove it, but this may be the first time in recorded history Calypso has been performed on the "Finnish Ukulele"......

For my entry this week I decided to update a song I loved as a kid. It's a Lonnie Donegan classic adapted to fit the 21st Century.

So, for your delight and delectation here is a politically correct version of "My Old Man's a Dustman":

I see that even though are in in your serious singer mode with your delivery of this classic skiffle song
you have also upped the anti by challenging BEV for bonus points on the bare knee competition.
The exposure of your knee was discretely done and only for a fleeting moment. I appreciate how subtilely
you accomplished that move, and it was in keeping with gravitas with which you sung the song.
Lonnie would be proud. The Skiffle Kings however would be confused since their 500 miles is different.

Well, thankfully I have the legs to pull it off, but my calves are my best feature. lol Jeez, I didn't realize I was doing a different "500 miles" song, I was lost huh? 500 miles away from this version at least!

Top Bottom