SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Heres a quick take I did yeasterday while playing around with a new vidoe program.
This is a really fun theme Wee. I hope to find some more time to bring another.

I do have #15 coming this evening and I have a feeling Im going to be spending my time cuddling the new baby :)
Here in the US we are celebrating Mothers Day today so its the perfect day to add to my clan.
Happy Mothers day to all the moms out there!

Heres a quick take I did yeasterday while playing around with a new vidoe program.
This is a really fun theme Wee. I hope to find some more time to bring another.

I do have #15 coming this evening and I have a feeling Im going to be spending my time cuddling the new baby :)
Here in the US we are celebrating Mothers Day today so its the perfect day to add to my clan.
Happy Mothers day to all the moms out there!

SNAP we have 15 too :) Congratulations.
Excellent choice played with vim and vigour. Also love that filter you have applied to the video.
It reminds me of a Carl Larsson painting "flowers in a window".
What is the new editing programme you are using. It gives the video a very classy look.
I am also always looking out for new video techniques to add a visual dynamic to my youtube videos.
carl_larsson_the_flower_window_canvas_print_24.jpg

Attachments

• carl_larsson_the_flower_window_canvas_print_24.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Just Point Of Interest while I am digging through the Calypso...this is really a very good record that most don't know exists I figure.

Most will certainly know the song though. Here, just for fun, is the American version-

Sorry, completely down the rabbit hole right now ;)

Just Point Of Interest while I am digging through the Calypso...this is really a very good record that most don't know exists I figure.

Now that is the most fascinating fact that I have learnt this week that "The Charmer"
went on to be the leader of the nation of Islam

I decided to start with Calypso. Paul will probably say that strictly, it isn't 'cos it was co-written by Harry Belafonte but back in the 50s everything with a Caribbean rhythm was called Calypso - over here at least. Anyway it's a great song and that's what really counts.

Season 326. Submission 1. "Goodnight, Irene" (Words and music by Huddle Ledbetter and John A. Lomax, 1933)

This one has been recorded by Lonnie Donegan.

Thank you, Rob, for hosting and this great theme! :)

When I was a little girl, my mom and her mom used to sing this one to me before bed. I'm singing here for them this Mother's Day.

Last edited:
Had to get this one in early! One of our faves at the uke jam. We're having tropical weather in North Carolina, so it's proper timing, too. Rob.

And here's a fine fine version of "Goodnight, Irene" - Lonnie with Van Morrison and Chris Barber. Live in Belfast. "The Skiffle Sessions"

Here's my wee bit for Lonnie, a rapid two chorder with some Involuntary dribbling in the last verse !! Lol

This was in the skiffle list. Apparently I already know a lot of skiffle songs but was unaware of it. I hope the deacon approves. Four-part harmony in the chorus.

SNAP we have 15 too :) Congratulations.
Excellent choice played with vim and vigour. Also love that filter you have applied to the video.
It reminds me of a Carl Larsson painting "flowers in a window".
What is the new editing programme you are using. It gives the video a very classy look.
I am also always looking out for new video techniques to add a visual dynamic to my youtube videos.

I looked that painting up last night and quite agree.
My iMovie has been glitchy lately and after last weeks vid that crashed after every recording I went on a search for something for an alternative. I found Wondershare Filmora and they have loads of filters and choices th play with that will make your videos unique. Yesterday was a bad hair day and a no makeup day but I had a minute to try and get a song in for you so I used this filter to hide behind :)
Pa pointed out that I am playing lefty in the film and I hadnt even noticed. I could have flipped it. (I really am a lefty)
Filmora doesnt allow you to pull directly from GarageBand so you have to send the GB track to itunes and take it from there. It lined up perfectly though.
The video uploaded directly to YT. Something I dont do with iMovie.
It was a $65 investment compaired to others in the three didgets. Its pretty user freindly and with all the choices it was worth getting IMO.

This is from David Allan Coe's late 70's Jimmy Buffett phase when he lived in Key West, Florida. I think it certainly qualifies as calypso, and I had fun trying it. I may do another of his songs from this period this week.

You naughty little revolutionary. King George would have you incarcerated in the tower for that song.
You Americans don't fight fair. Hiding behind the bushes and taking pot shots at us. Who taught you
those guerrilla tactics, that is just not cricket Sir. The marquis of Queensbury would be most displeased
with your attitude towards fighting. Such sedition is not allowed in the Dorm. I am going to report you to matron.

The tragic thing about that battle is that it should never have happened. The US and the UK had already signed a peace treaty to end the War of 1812, but the news didn't reach New Orleans in time :-(

Nice one!A challenge for me too.
Take some inspiration folks..one of the most unusual Calypso albums recorded was by Hollywood "hellraiser" actor Robert Mitchum. Called "Calypso - Is like so".While filming in Jamaica in the '50's he got enthralled with the music and subsequently recorded a Calypso album.

No, he was filming in Tobago, 1000 miles to the south of Jamaica. And it is a genuine calypso album, too. He used local musicians and took great care with the dialect too. The album also includes a version of 'Ugly Woman' - under its original title of 'From A Logical Point Of View'. The original is by Roaring Lion from 1934.

I decided to start with Calypso. Paul will probably say that strictly, it isn't 'cos it was co-written by Harry Belafonte but back in the 50s everything with a Caribbean rhythm was called Calypso - over here at least. Anyway it's a great song and that's what really counts.

That was exactly my point, back in the 50s everything with a Caribbean rhythm was called 'calypso' - because of Harry Belafonte. Both mento and calypso have great tunes and great songs, but if you don't appreciate the differences in the rhythms you could come unstuck trying to apply a mento rhythm to a genuine calypso. That's all I was saying.

.............. if you don't appreciate the differences in the rhythms you could come unstuck trying to apply a mento rhythm to a genuine calypso.......That's all I was saying.

I apply which ever damn rhythm I please.....as i reckon, do they....

.......That's all I was saying.

No. There was Du du ing and a whole heap of other stuff.

Well that was a bit of class. Loved this song when Eric Burdon sang it with the Animals
Even though Alan Price said it would never fly as a pop song.

I once attended a concert that featured the Ukulele orchestra of Great Britain, and there
they pointed out the the the synergy between humans and the Ukulele is so complete
because we have four fingers and the Uke has four strings. Guitars are mutant Ukuleles
ad you would really need six fingers to play them... besides that with guitars there is always
the danger that what you will get is a guitar solo and guitar performances can easily become a
24 hour Grateful dead riff... and who wants that?

You will have to be careful with eight stings, because that just might be a step towards the
guitar dark side, so be careful out there.

HAHA. I started on the dark side....for about 27 years I played guitar. I have since found the light with the ukulele. The harp is just a recognition of another great 4 string instrument, the bass, and the fact that I can't always have someone else playing with me.

I will proceed with due caution though.

OK since TCK tells us this is not a calypso song it should be OK to do it after my previous song which may have been a calypso or a mento song - my head hurts.....

I do know it's a song I've always liked.

Top Bottom