Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

I have a thing for space dogs, so I had to do this - "Russian Satellite" (1959) by Mighty Sparrow. The first space dog Laika died from overheating, she was not poisoned like the song tells. And most of the next space dogs returned alive.
    A not-very-calypsolike cover by Feeble Hummingbird:

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering Bassist View Post
    I can't prove it, but this may be the first time in recorded history Calypso has been performed on the "Finnish Ukulele"......
    Au contraire mon frère Finland is the home of the Calypso and the Finnish Ukulele
    was used to compose many famous calypsos. It is still a mystery how the calypso
    migrated to the West Indies... some scholars say it was brought there by the Vikings.

As I listen to the instrumental breaks during this performance the trilling melodies
    were most reminiscent of the original and most popular calypso in Finland and from
    which all other calypsos seem to be derived... namely Finland Finland Finland.
    This song should be in the repertoire of anyone who aspires to be a calypso musician.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Quote Originally Posted by kolibri View Post
    I have a thing for space dogs, so I had to do this - "Russian Satellite" (1959) by Mighty Sparrow. The first space dog Laika died from overheating, she was not poisoned like the song tells. And most of the next space dogs returned alive. A not-very-calypsolike cover by Feeble Hummingbird:
    This is what calypso was all about... taking some topical news and making a song about it.
    You do yourself an injustice Feeble Hummingbird... you should call yourself Upea Joutsen :-)

I was looking at the internal rhymes within the lines and I think he must have used poison
    to have an alliterative effect with prison. Poetic license is responsible for so many falsehoods.
    Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 05-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    For my entry this week I decided to update a song I loved as a kid. It's a Lonnie Donegan classic adapted to fit the 21st Century.
    So, for your delight and delectation here is a politically correct version of "My Old Man's a Dustman":
    Berni you are a genius. It seems that in recent years we have had loads of new words like
    vertically challenged, chemically dependant, learning disabilities... and they stand in for words that
    are deemed to be demeaning or degrading. And once you learn the politically correct way
    to say something they shift the goalposts and yesterdays acceptable word now becomes
    offensive. Just having a conversation today is a veritable vocabulary mine field.
    I get confused whether I should say Afro-American, black, or person of colour.
    Sometimes I feel that by being politically correct we don't offend people because in
    reality they don't know the hell what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    Au contraire mon frère Finland is the home of the Calypso and the Finnish Ukulele
    was used to compose many famous calypsos. It is still a mystery how the calypso
    migrated to the West Indies... some scholars say it was brought there by the Vikings.

As I listen to the instrumental breaks during this performance the trilling melodies
    were most reminiscent of the original and most popular calypso in Finland and from
    which all other calypsos seem to be derived... namely Finland Finland Finland.
    This song should be in the repertoire of anyone who aspires to be a calypso musician.
    Endorsed!
    Martin C1K • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Default 326 calypso 1

I thought I'd turn this song in to a calypso tune. I''ll be playing it soon at a coffee shop. Maybe I'll play it this way.

Default 326 Skiffle 1

I used to hear this song as a young boy. Hadn't heard in a long time. Great memory.

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Times are getting hard boys
    Now this is a song I love, and I suppose it illustrates how Mr Donegan
    took songs and modified them... saving the melody but changing the words.
    The version I have heard was from Lew Dite and it seems to chronicle
    the depression years in America. Here is the version I know.
    From what I know this version came from Carl Sandburg's "The American Songbag" (1927)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbanjorex View Post
    I thought I'd turn this song in to a calypso tune. I''ll be playing it soon at a coffee shop. Maybe I'll play it this way.
    Sweetly played Rex. Let me just say this when I listen to your recordings
    two thing become very apparent. The quality of the recording is superb
    and secondly in all the years I have listened to you, I have never heard
    you hit a bum note. Your singing is pitch perfect. Respect.

Thread Information