SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

I have a thing for space dogs, so I had to do this - "Russian Satellite" (1959) by Mighty Sparrow. The first space dog Laika died from overheating, she was not poisoned like the song tells. And most of the next space dogs returned alive.
A not-very-calypsolike cover by Feeble Hummingbird:

I can't prove it, but this may be the first time in recorded history Calypso has been performed on the "Finnish Ukulele"......

Au contraire mon frère Finland is the home of the Calypso and the Finnish Ukulele
was used to compose many famous calypsos. It is still a mystery how the calypso
migrated to the West Indies... some scholars say it was brought there by the Vikings.

As I listen to the instrumental breaks during this performance the trilling melodies
were most reminiscent of the original and most popular calypso in Finland and from
which all other calypsos seem to be derived... namely Finland Finland Finland.
This song should be in the repertoire of anyone who aspires to be a calypso musician.

I have a thing for space dogs, so I had to do this - "Russian Satellite" (1959) by Mighty Sparrow. The first space dog Laika died from overheating, she was not poisoned like the song tells. And most of the next space dogs returned alive. A not-very-calypsolike cover by Feeble Hummingbird:

This is what calypso was all about... taking some topical news and making a song about it.
You do yourself an injustice Feeble Hummingbird... you should call yourself Upea Joutsen :)

I was looking at the internal rhymes within the lines and I think he must have used poison
to have an alliterative effect with prison. Poetic license is responsible for so many falsehoods.

Last edited:
For my entry this week I decided to update a song I loved as a kid. It's a Lonnie Donegan classic adapted to fit the 21st Century.
So, for your delight and delectation here is a politically correct version of "My Old Man's a Dustman":

Berni you are a genius. It seems that in recent years we have had loads of new words like
vertically challenged, chemically dependant, learning disabilities... and they stand in for words that
are deemed to be demeaning or degrading. And once you learn the politically correct way
to say something they shift the goalposts and yesterdays acceptable word now becomes
offensive. Just having a conversation today is a veritable vocabulary mine field.
I get confused whether I should say Afro-American, black, or person of colour.
Sometimes I feel that by being politically correct we don't offend people because in
reality they don't know the hell what we are talking about.

Au contraire mon frère Finland is the home of the Calypso and the Finnish Ukulele
was used to compose many famous calypsos. It is still a mystery how the calypso
migrated to the West Indies... some scholars say it was brought there by the Vikings.

As I listen to the instrumental breaks during this performance the trilling melodies
were most reminiscent of the original and most popular calypso in Finland and from
which all other calypsos seem to be derived... namely Finland Finland Finland.
This song should be in the repertoire of anyone who aspires to be a calypso musician.

Endorsed! :agree:

Times are getting hard boys

Now this is a song I love, and I suppose it illustrates how Mr Donegan
took songs and modified them... saving the melody but changing the words.
The version I have heard was from Lew Dite and it seems to chronicle
the depression years in America. Here is the version I know.
From what I know this version came from Carl Sandburg's "The American Songbag" (1927)

I thought I'd turn this song in to a calypso tune. I''ll be playing it soon at a coffee shop. Maybe I'll play it this way.

Sweetly played Rex. Let me just say this when I listen to your recordings
two thing become very apparent. The quality of the recording is superb
and secondly in all the years I have listened to you, I have never heard
you hit a bum note. Your singing is pitch perfect. Respect.

I used to hear this song as a young boy. Hadn't heard in a long time. Great memory.

Most likely Mr Donegan borrowed this song from Mr Guthrie.
It is quite amazing that some UK skiffle cover songs sounded more
American than their original counter parts. When Mr Donegan did
this song it had that jumping in the aisles holy roller penticostal feel
to it. He puts terrific energy into it... and that lead guitarist is a
picker straight out of Nashville. Great memories indeed, and great choice.

Now this is a song I love, and I suppose it illustrates how Mr Donegan
took songs and modified them... saving the melody but changing the words.
The version I have heard was from Lew Dite and it seems to chronicle
the depression years in America. Here is the version I know.
From what I know this version came from Carl Sandburg's "The American Songbag" (1927)

From what I've found the chorus was in Carl Sandburg's 'American Songbag' (1927) and your version (the well known verses) were written by Lee Hays of the Weavers.
It was covered by lots of folks but even Lew Dite states he learned it from Lonny Donegan. Funny thing is he sings the Weavers version. I guess its like so many of these old tunes, when there is only a chorus its open for anyone to add whatever verses they like.
The Limeliters and Donegan have more uploads of it on YT than anyone else. I dont know who I heard sing it first. Probably Pete Seagar or Tom Paxton or maybe Harry Belafonte but itt doesnt matter who sang it first. It is a song that stays with you. I too love it!

I was looking thru David Lindley's stuff looking for calypso inspiration, and found this one, and then I found it had been done by Lord Kitchener. I'd never heard his version, but it is pretty damn good. Bit difficult to emulate tho.

I was looking thru David Lindley's stuff looking for calypso inspiration, and found this one, and then I found it had been done by Lord Kitchener. I'd never heard his version, but it is pretty damn good. Bit difficult to emulate tho.

Happy Happy music... you have to move to this stuff.
I am not sure if you should be in the corner with the
other naughty boys. I just could not make my mind up
about the lyrics.

Here is a short history of Lord Kitchener together with the song
Thanks for bringing this one to the season, and I am sure it will
be an inspiration for others to explore his music.

A popular calypso by The Growling Tiger from 1935...

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the reason Lonnie Donnegan's skiffle group was known as 'The Vipers', was that 'viper' was English 50's slang for 'pot-head' - they successfully smuggled that one past the BBC censors. :)

my second Lonnie Donegan song more British than American-more piffle than skiffle

Top Bottom