SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Greetings,
Sorry but its the only one know. Day-O

No need to be sorry. It is a well known classic calypso song.
I have never quite understood why Belafonte sang it in such
a rumbustious manner as though he were happy lugging
heavy bunches of bananas about on the the nightshift.

There is a bit of discongruity there, being happy about
hard work and slave labour... Ah but there is always the RUM.
You have inspired me. I think I will give this one a go and sing
it mournfully.

I was looking back to the skiffle era in Australia, trying to find something that would be equivalent. Of course, Lonnie Donegan had plenty of songs out here, too, but we were bound to have some of his ilk. I found this one, which I remember well from my childhood.

Australians in London in the 60's I always thought they were part of the counter culture revolution
with Barry Humphries and Clive James. As a humourist Clive James was hard to beat. He used to write
a column in the observer, and it was the first thing I read every Sunday. A quote of his that has
always stuck with me was when he commented about the decline of English football after the 1966
world cup.

The most exciting thing about English football now,
is to look and see how far down the side
of his head, will Bobby Charlton start his combover.

Another hectic week, but I wanted to get a song in. This song was on the Skiffle list you provided a link to. Van Morrison was definitely influenced by the Skiffle movement in Europe. I had never heard this song before, but I wanted to do something different. Thanks for hosting this week Rob! Even though I haven't had a lot of time for recording, I did get some late night research in and learned a lot about both genres! Great Theme!

Excellent choice, and incredible audio quality, and very fine vocal delivery,
and a top notch solo on the 8 string "Finnish Ukulele"

I first heard this one at camp, played by a hippy camp music director. Then I heard it at a Grateful Dead show. Then I heard the Harry Belofonte version. And this week, I checked out the King Radio (original) version and the amazing Duke of Iron version. Thank you for the calypso journey through time and space, Rob :)

I'll be honest, I have had a go at Lord Kitchener's "Dr Kitch", but just can't get it right. Also, it is such a piece of pure filth that I thought I might get banned from the entire internet.
Where is CeeJay when you need him?;)

I first heard this one at camp, played by a hippy camp music director. Then I heard it at a Grateful Dead show. Then I heard the Harry Belofonte version. And this week, I checked out the King Radio (original) version and the amazing Duke of Iron version. Thank you for the calypso journey through time and space, Rob :)

Good choice Ralf... sounds like a two chorder.
Grateful dead have covered it... I have to check that out... and if it comes in under 10 minutes I be severely disappointed.

I'll be honest, I have had a go at Lord Kitchener's "Dr Kitch", but just can't get it right. Also, it is such a piece of pure filth that I thought I might get banned from the entire internet.
Where is CeeJay when you need him?;)

You can hide in the dark like Ralf. The worst you can get is to be stood
in the naughty boys corner.

Not calypso, I don't think, but it was recorded by Mighty Sparrow. There sure are a lot of different Sparrows in calypso music.

Not calypso, I don't think, but it was recorded by Mighty Sparrow. There sure are a lot of different Sparrows in calypso music.

I can hear echoes of Let it be me by the Everly Brothers in this song.

I can hear echoes of Let it be me by the Everly Brothers in this song.
I'd shelved my 'Island in the sun' in the week as I kept hearing Chuck Berrys 'My Dingaling' in it and kept gravitating toward it grrrrrrrrrr...........

Last edited:
I'd shelved my 'Island in the sun' in the week as I kept hearing Chuck Berrys 'My Dingaling' in it and kept gravitating toward it grrrrrrrrrr...........

That reclining sofa position is just right for a buxom hand maiden to come along an pop a peeled grape in your mouth. :)

I'm a bit surprised this one hasn't surfaced earlier. No.1 in Oz for 3 weeks in 1957. Maybe I'm too old, or it wasn't popular elsewhere...

Top Bottom