Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

My interpretation of calypso is as far from Calypso as you can get

Last edited by BigDaddyUker; 05-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    If EVERYONE played the UKULELE, the WORLD would be a BETTER place! ~ Jake Shimabukuro

FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fingers in ears young listeners, here's some Jamaican Calypso filth done in my best Jamaican accent which wouldn't sound out of place in an old Benny Hill sketch !!

Keeping It Raw, Keeping It Real

Quote Originally Posted by greenie44 View Post
    Every once in a while, a Season comes up that has a song I never thought I could do, but then I work and it comes through.

One question for our host - can I assume that when you say 'Calypso' you are including 'Soca'? (soul calypso from Trinidad) I have a deep and abiding love for David Rudder, so I'd like to try some of one of his numbers.
    Go for it SOCA is A OK
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Ahoy good people
    Here is my first attempt at Calypso. This song is originally by Lord Invader but I first heard this song in th eFallout video-game series where it was performed by the Andrews Sisters.
    Here is my take

Quote Originally Posted by cazteclo View Post
    Ahoy good people
    Here is my first attempt at Calypso. This song is originally by Lord Invader but I first heard this song in th eFallout video-game series where it was performed by the Andrews Sisters.
    Here is my take
    Thanks for that... who would have thought two chords could sound so good.
    I have noticed that many Calypsos are based around just two chords and it is all
    down to getting that strum right.

I checked out Lord Invader and he gives the lowdown on how the song was stolen from
    him. He sued and had to wait 7 years before he got paid. The calypso was plagiarized,
    modified and given to the Andrew sisters by Morey Amsterdam The song became a huge US hit
    for the Andrew Sisters but many radio stations would not play it because of the references to
    alcohol and ladies of the night.
    Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 05-14-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mythinformed View Post
    Fingers in ears young listeners, here's some Jamaican Calypso filth done in my best Jamaican accent which wouldn't sound out of place in an old Benny Hill sketch !!
    You have been a very naughty boy. Now go and stand in a corner and learn a skiffle song to redeem yourself :-)

My turn for skiffle, and a great sing along song (so I don't have to carry it ... )

Martin C1K • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyUker View Post
    My interpretation of calypso is as far from Calypso as you can get
    Now that is a good story. I love a song with a story line arc
    Bruce "thunder road" Springsteen eat your heart out :-)

Here's another David Allan Coe version of Calypso from the late 70's. Super fun tune I think.

Not discouraged by my attempts to marry a genre I know nothing about to a pop song I love in Trent's Bluegrass week, here is what I intended as a Calypso version of the White Stripes 'Fell In Love With a Girl'

And by Calypso I mean I paid attention to how I was strumming, put on a funny voice, and added some rudimentary accompaniment on a pink Hello Kitty keyboard that we rescued from a charity shop years ago.

In honour of our host I also ****ed about with some video effects until the post-processed video skipped a bit.

This is about 2 hours work. I even lit a candle because the lighting in my living room is rubbish
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Thread Information