Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU #326 (Lonnie & Rose )

Quote Originally Posted by Harry122 View Post
    Written by calypso singer Sir Lancelot in 1943 and changed a lot over the years. I bet you all know this one!
    Classic song. I have recorded it myself a long time ago.
    In the UK you had the Two-Tone movement and many
    West Indian songs were sung by groups like the Specials
    or Madness. Most of these band had black and white musicians
    and their aim was a desire to transcend and defuse racial tensions
    in Thatcher-era Britain.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    completely inspired by ryan's fabulous white stripes calypso!!!!!!

thought i'd TRY a homemade calypso-y sort of thing
    YEAH BABY!!!
    Remind me once again where did that catch phrase come from?
    Some misinformed people would associate it with Austin Powers.
    But I have historical and conclusive evidence that it was first used
    on Ukulele Underground. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    YEAH BABY!!!
    Remind me once again where did that catch phrase come from?
    Some misinformed people would associate it with Austin Powers.
    But I have historical and conclusive evidence that it was first used
    on Ukulele Underground. Correct me if I am wrong.
    lol!!!!! yeah i totally invented the phrase. then austin powers stole it, WENT BACK IN TIME, and used it in his films. WOT a disgrace!!!
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Could be right about the theme song for this week.
    It is strange how music migrates from Leadbelly to Guthrie
    Music was music and it you liked it you sung it and there was never
    a second thought about it, but nowadays the SJW's see clothes
    or hairstyles as cultural appropriation. and not as a celebration.
    Except back in those days it actually was cultural appropriation, and had a real impact on the culture appropriated, just no-one gave a damn.

I've played two Lonnie Donegan songs this week with quite dark themes which he then whited up and made to sound cheery.

It's still a problem nowadays but naturally everyone wants in on the social media echo chamber so they come up with ridiculous ways of being offended. That shouldn't invalidate the actual issues though.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Here's another song I've always loved that's on the Skiffle list, so I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    Except back in those days it actually was cultural appropriation, and had a real impact on the culture appropriated, just no-one gave a damn.

I've played two Lonnie Donegan songs this week with quite dark themes which he then whited up and made to sound cheery.

It's still a problem nowadays but naturally everyone wants in on the social media echo chamber so they come up with ridiculous ways of being offended. That shouldn't invalidate the actual issues though.
    The whiteman wearing dreadlocks seems to be a major target.
    but I have seen a video by a blackman who argues that the
    Rastafarian style can also be found in India and Africa. and is not
    specific to the Caribbean. But as India Arie says "I am not my hair"

Quote Originally Posted by Recovering Bassist View Post
    Here's another song I've always loved that's on the Skiffle list, so I did it.
    I see that even though are in in your serious singer mode with your delivery of this classic skiffle song
    you have also upped the anti by challenging BEV for bonus points on the bare knee competition.
    The exposure of your knee was discretely done and only for a fleeting moment. I appreciate how subtilely
    you accomplished that move, and it was in keeping with gravitas with which you sung the song.
    Lonnie would be proud. The Skiffle Kings however would be confused since their 500 miles is different.

Nicely done paul, and really appreciate the work you put into
    putting the words and chords up... How does he do that???
    Yeah I think that lots of people when they try to marry
    chords and words have a terrible time with formating things
    so everything lines up properly, but obviously you have the SKILLZ
    What is your secret?
    Thanks, Rob, for your kind words once again. There's two things you need to do to get your words and chords lined up properly in a UU Forum post.

First, you need to put any formatted text in your posts inside the code - [C*de][/C*de] - tags: click on the '#' in the 'Go Advanced' menu to bring these tags up automatically if you don't want to type them in (C*de = Code, of course, but if I'd typed an 'o' instead of an '*', the tags would have vanished from sight!).

Second, you need to appreciate that any text inside the [C*de][/C*de] tags is displayed in a monospaced font - that's what permits you to line up chords above lyrics. Most digital fonts these days (including, crucially, Verdana, the default font used by the vBB software that powers the UU forums) are TrueType, meaning the spacing between words and letters (the kerning) varies automatically, adjusting the spacing between letters and words to make it all look aesthetically pleasing.

A monospaced font, such as Andale Mono, Consolas, Courier, Courier New or Monaco, however reproduces the effect of an old-school typewriter, and that's what you need here; because you want each space clicked on the spacebar always to occupy the same length - and to occupy the same space as any letter typed on the line below; so if you want your Em chord to line up above the 6th character (letter/space) of the lyric in the line below, you just have to press your spacebar 5 times, then type 'Em'. If you want your B7 chord to line up above the 19th character, simply press your spacebar another 11 times then type 'B7'.
    Because your text is monospaced, it will continue to line up correctly, no matter what font size you, or the vBB bulletin board software, choose to display it in.
    Code:
    12345  12345678901
         Em           B7 
    They never have a shilling oh
    Don't try typing directly in between the [C*de][/C*de] tags though, it'll mess with your head. vBB uses Verdana all the while it's in 'Reply' mode, so you'll only get to see what your [C*de][/C*de] formatted text will look like once you've hit 'Post' or 'Preview'. If you do try typing directly, you'll quickly get into an awful pickle going back and forth between the 'Preview' and 'Edit' modes trying to get the formatting right: just look at how the formatted text above appears in vBB 'Edit Post' mode when I don't close the [C*de][/C*de] tags:

[Code
    12345 12345678901
    Em B7
    They never have a shilling oh
    /Code]

Instead, use Word, Notepad, or any other simple text editor to write out & format your lyrics and chords in a monospaced font; and when you're happy with what you've got, just copy and paste them in between the [C*de][/C*de] tags in your post (for ease, always have the [C*de][/C*de] tags all ready to receive text). You may have to make the odd minor adjustments here and there (use the 'Preview Post' function to check), but it should be pretty well bang on first time round.

So to review: compose your songsheet in a monospaced font using a text editor; copy and paste the formatted, monospaced(!), text between the [C*de][/C*de] tags in your post (click on '#' in the 'Go Advanced' menu to bring the tags up automatically), and you'll be good to go. HTH & good luck!

Now you are just being naughty. You get one boy in the classroom singing Big Bamboo
    and the next thing you know the whole classroom are singing it. Go over and stand
    in the corner young man with Mark C. and don't come out again until you have
    learnt a skiffle song.
    Yerss, I should have been paying more attention instead of staring out the window. Sorry sir!
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Here's a third from me. Another "Calypso" that's not really Calypso as it originated in Haiti. I've strummed to fit the words and rhythm of the tune rather than to a pattern to fit a specific style and it varies through the song. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
    We don't have banana trees here, so I've just used various British deciduous trees in my video. (some could even be imports - shock! horror!)
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Yep. I picked this one.
    If EVERYONE played the UKULELE, the WORLD would be a BETTER place! ~ Jake Shimabukuro

FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Thread Information