Lanikai serial numbers and manufactured date

tracker

Reaction score
I have Lanikai Solid spruce baritone S-B.

Serial number is KII110.

Anybody knows the year of manufacture of my uke?How to determine date of production?

Thank you.

Following. I’ve got the same question about a discontinued mango TunAUke model I own. I looked up old catalogues but cannot find the exact model I own listed in the catalogues but I suspect it’s possibly from 2014. I purchased it as new old stock in 2016

I recently purchased in the music shop newLanikai Spruce baritone that I mentioned,but think that ukulele is old couple of years.

Last year, at NAMM 2017, Lanikai literally discontinued every existing model to make a new series. They looked promising, and every ukulele came with two strap buttons. In my part of the world, I cannot find a vendor who carries them any longer! They also distribute Korala, their “entry level” version.

Lanikai has an interesting history and is no longer owned by Horner; the person behind the initial success of Lanikai so many years ago left the company to start his own brand (Mike Upton at Kala). The company had some brilliant ideas such as the TunaUke, which allowed players to adjust the intonation of every string at the bridge, and the UkeSB (with Fishman) that allows you to directly record via USB to a computer or iOS device (I have one of these and use it frequently). All that said, many of the models were over built and heavy—and at times mildly deceptive practices were used, such as calling Acacia “Koa” and calling laminate by a wood name (less informed buyers would assume they were buying a solid wood instrument). Lanikai wasn’t the first, and isn’t the last to do this—and I only wish them the best as it certainly seems that their distribution model has collapsed. I used to see Lanikai everywhere.

Last year, at NAMM 2017, Lanikai literally discontinued every existing model to make a new series. They looked promising, and every ukulele came with two strap buttons. In my part of the world, I cannot find a vendor who carries them any longer! They also distribute Korala, their “entry level” version.

Lanikai has an interesting history and is no longer owned by Horner; the person behind the initial success of Lanikai so many years ago left the company to start his own brand (Mike Upton at Kala). The company had some brilliant ideas such as the TunaUke, which allowed players to adjust the intonation of every string at the bridge, and the UkeSB (with Fishman) that allows you to directly record via USB to a computer or iOS device (I have one of these and use it frequently). All that said, many of the models were over built and heavy—and at times mildly deceptive practices were used, such as calling Acacia “Koa” and calling laminate by a wood name (less informed buyers would assume they were buying a solid wood instrument). Lanikai wasn’t the first, and isn’t the last to do this—and I only wish them the best as it certainly seems that their distribution model has collapsed. I used to see Lanikai everywhere.

Sorry,but please stick with thread about manufactured date and seriall numbers if you know something about it.

p.s.I really do not like visually the new series of Lanikai.

Last edited:
Sorry,but please stick with thread about manufactured date and seriall numbers if you know something about it.

p.s.I really do not like visually the new series of Lanikai.

Well, the information was meant to highlight that all the models changed in 2017–meaning that if you have a Lanikai without strap buttons, you’re looking at 2016 or older. The other information just comes from my own observations.

Well, the information was meant to highlight that all the models changed in 2017–meaning that if you have a Lanikai without strap buttons, you’re looking at 2016 or older. The other information just comes from my own observations.

Your information of whole new line of ukuleles is very useful,but I will really appreciate if you or someone have any information how to find out manufactured year of older models.

Have you tried contacting Lanikai? Seems like the first place to start.

@Choirguy. Thanks for posting this, to me it added a degree of context to the OP’s problem and I’m also very glad of the background information too.

You will probably get better results if you can get the serial numbers and approximately when purchased from other UU members. There was a May 2012 post asking the same question about a Lanikai ST with a serial number KII107. No response to that one.

A wild guess, but used by other companies is the letter designations representing the year and month. Lanikai was founded in 2000. The K could mean year, (from 2000???), or the I. The numbers could mean the production number from the day, who knows. But if you get examples from other Lanikai ukuleles you might be able to piece it together. Companies usually keep records so they can identify an issue to a certain manufacturing lot. Someone at the company might have the key, but it is not a collectible instrument so they may not want to spend the time to research it.

I think Lanikai is still part of Hohner. It is a long shot that they may be able to help you.

John

Last edited:
You will probably get better results if you can get the serial numbers and approximately when purchased from other UU members. There was a May 2012 post asking the same question about a Lanikai ST with a serial number KII107. No response to that one.

A wild guess, but used by other companies is the letter designations representing the year and month. Lanikai was founded in 2000. The K could mean year, (from 2000???), or the I. The numbers could mean the production number from the day, who knows. But if you get examples from other Lanikai ukuleles you might be able to piece it together. Companies usually keep records so they can identify an issue to a certain manufacturing lot. Someone at the company might have the key, but it is not a collectible instrument so they may not want to spend the time to research it.

I think Lanikai is still part of Hohner. It is a long shot that they may be able to help you.

John

Yes,I think that 3 letters (KII) is the key.like on Yamahas,but it`s unbelieveble that no one knows for sure how to determine manufactured year.
I sent emails to this adress (Contact us link):
http://lanikaiukuleles.com/

This is the answer from Hohner,not Lanikai:

We are sorry to inform you that the Serial numbers of the Ukulele wasn't recorded and so we can't define in which year it was produced.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Best regards

i.A. Herr Ciro Lenti

(Service Manager)

Last edited:
Top Bottom