Guitar vs Ukulele

... I have completely fallen in love with the ukulele all over again.

I haven't sold my guitars - yet - time will tell, but right now I am finding the familiarity of the ukulele hugely comforting. I'm also very much enjoying visiting UU again and seeing so many familiar 'faces' on the forums :)

Good to see your name pop up again - hope your treatment goes well, and look forward to hearing more from you now you are back in the land of ukes.

Good to see your name pop up again - hope your treatment goes well, and look forward to hearing more from you now you are back in the land of ukes.

Thank you, Steve. I'm currently working up the courage to dip my toe back into the Seasons :)

If man was meant to play guitar, he would have been given six fingers

And if man was meant to fly he would have been given wings. Somehow man always finds a way:music:

As in huMAN kind.....don't want the ladies mad at us

Last edited:
@BathBird, best wishes for your upcoming treatment. We will be holding you in our thoughts!

Like many others have commented, I am also drawn to the guitar tone. It does seem a lot more complicated, despite "only" two more strings. Go figure.

I find that playing smaller parlor sizes (size 0 or 00) with 12-fret joins and wider string spacing (>2.25 inch) make it much more comfortable. It's slow going, but I'm now finding it easier to go back and forth between instruments. My first song on the guitar I'm trying to learn is "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. Good fun!

While I love the guitar, I think uke will likely always have most of my play time.

@BathBird, best wishes for your upcoming treatment. We will be holding you in our thoughts!

Like many others have commented, I am also drawn to the guitar tone. It does seem a lot more complicated, despite "only" two more strings. Go figure.

I find that playing smaller parlor sizes (size 0 or 00) with 12-fret joins and wider string spacing (>2.25 inch) make it much more comfortable. It's slow going, but I'm now finding it easier to go back and forth between instruments. My first song on the guitar I'm trying to learn is "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. Good fun!

While I love the guitar, I think uke will likely always have most of my play time.

Just as you have done Eddie I gravitated to smaller bodied guitars, 00 size and 12 fret neck. Compared to my old Larrivee L01 (which is bigger than a dreadnaught, read massive) the 00 12 fretters feel very comfortable to play. But yea those two extra strings sure can complicate things

Last edited:
Smaller bodied guitars are my favs as well. Love their sound.

I'm not GREAT at anything, but I've been messing with guitars for about 50 years and I suppose I spend about 70% of my playing time with them. They ARE my first love.

The other 30% of my playing time is shared between my piano and my recently (the last year or so) love of ukes. I know this means I won't ever get close to 'mastering' any of them, but as I play just to amuse myself that doesn't worry me too much.

It's been a pretty rubbish year for me personally in many ways, but I fully intend to put more effort into my uke learning during 2019.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while. Glad to see that MM Stan is still active. Got the sad news about Dirk of Southcoast. Learned that Mya Moe is now in the Chicago area and Aaron is back with Beansprout. And I just reconnected with William who is willing to sell me his Ukiyo Vita in the near future - the uke I miss the most.

After playing guitar exclusively for 25 years, I had uke fever from 2011 - 2014. I amassed 19 ukes over that time and I'm now down to my two favorite tenors. From 2015 - 2017 I played mandolin exclusively and was very happy with the one fine mandolin I acquired - a Phoenix Bluegrass.

Then this past April, I ran into a 1998 Froggy Bottom parlor guitar at Dusty Strings in Seattle and the guitar dominates my playing once again. In July I added a Telecaster and an amp and I've been having a blast.

This past weekend, I loaned my daughter's Kala soprano to a new friend and was showing her some uke basics. It made me pull out my two ukes and I played them for a couple of hours remembering all the fun I used to have. I particularly miss all my friends from Ukulele Fight Club in MO.

I think that even though I am mainly playing guitar again, that there is definitely room for ukulele as others have said here.

Dave, thanks again for taking that Kinnard baritone off my hands and glad you were able to pass it to someone else. Also thanks for starting this thread!

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while. Glad to see that MM Stan is still active. Got the sad news about Dirk of Southcoast. Learned that Mya Moe is now in the Chicago area and Aaron is back with Beansprout. And I just reconnected with William who is willing to sell me his Ukiyo Vita in the near future - the uke I miss the most.

After playing guitar exclusively for 25 years, I had uke fever from 2011 - 2014. I amassed 19 ukes over that time and I'm now down to my two favorite tenors. From 2015 - 2017 I played mandolin exclusively and was very happy with the one fine mandolin I acquired - a Phoenix Bluegrass.

Then this past April, I ran into a 1998 Froggy Bottom parlor guitar at Dusty Strings in Seattle and the guitar dominates my playing once again. In July I added a Telecaster and an amp and I've been having a blast.

This past weekend, I loaned my daughter's Kala soprano to a new friend and was showing her some uke basics. It made me pull out my two ukes and I played them for a couple of hours remembering all the fun I used to have. I particularly miss all my friends from Ukulele Fight Club in MO.

I think that even though I am mainly playing guitar again, that there is definitely room for ukulele as others have said here.

Dave, thanks again for taking that Kinnard baritone off my hands and glad you were able to pass it to someone else. Also thanks for starting this thread!

So great to hear from you and see you again on this site. There is definitely room for both uke and guitar........just whatever mood you are in at the moment. Froggy Bottom hey!!!!! Boy oh boy, nice guitar

Hi Everyone,

Aloha Don, glad to hear from you, I hope all is well with you and your still strumming them strings up. Welcome back, I'm hardly on now, a friend messaged me of your post, happy strummings bruddah

Dave, I’m kinda in the same situation as you. I enjoy my ukes but prefer the guitar in alot of situations. I love the fuller sound and sustain. It is harder though and sometimes I want the relative simplicity of the uke as well as its small size and sweet voice. So I’m never giving them up but they have to take turns with guitar and mandolin and if I ever get another tenor guitar, then that too.

I have played the guitar since I was 12 - 62 years ago! I then moved to play banjo too. I have not played the guitar for three years and finally sold my big Martin. Now i switch between ukulele and banjo - makes me happy. I like the thinner necks. They share a "happy" sound as both are re-entrant instruments.
Mo 2 cents worth! Ian

Top Bottom