Ken Timms Soprano on eBay now!

Starting the bidding at £400, with a Buy i Now of £600. I'll follow this and see how it goes. I start every ebay sale at .99, and the final price is always what it should be.

All ebay final prices are what they should be whatever the start price. Any item is worth what a willing buyer will pay, and a willing seller will accept.

All ebay final prices are what they should be whatever the start price. Any item is worth what a willing buyer will pay, and a willing seller will accept.

I would would agree that any item is worth what a willing buyer will pay, and a willing seller will accept, but I think that that ‘worth’ is only true for any one point in time and space. Whether that agreed price is the best price for the seller or buyer is a different matter. eBay is, I think, generally a good trading platform but for many reasons prices do fluctuate on it - final prices are not always what you would expect that they should be and sometimes you make a good buy or a bad sale.

The end of auction price of any item is it’s worth to the (one) winning bidder and no more than that. A whole lot of other people below the winning bidder have (by limiting their bids) decided a lower limit to an item's worth, their opinion has merit too and is a less fluctuationing indicator of an item’s monetary value.

Last edited:
If you see a uke on eBay and want it and you have the money buy it, you can either do a buy it now or take the risk to get in a winning bid in the last 40 seconds.Either way, don't wallow around in UU opinions.
If you see a uke on eBay and don't want to buy, don't do anything. Don't post links or try to help out buyers, in the end you wont help the buyers. Most people know how to set up a search on eBay, part of the fun for them is finding the item and making the bids. You spoil a lot of the fun and attract lazy buyers by posting links and comments on UU.
The best time to post about an eBay uke is after you win the auction or after the auction closes. Then you wont be spoiling anyones' ukulele searching and buying fun. Also you will be helping people learn about eBay without spoiling their collecting fun.
This is just my opinion.

I appreciate seeing notifications of instruments like the Timms. Yes, I have a search that notifies me when a new uke is posted, but it doesn't always work!

Last edited:
Easily dented. I had an Uluru that was the same way. Like accidental fingernail indents are possible. I considered it a bit more fragile thus I kept it in its case. This may vary by wood stock.

Thanks for the info. I like not easily dented myself but each builder will have their own reasons for what they do and customers who like it that way.

For what it’s worth I found a lot to agree with in Bill’s now removed post. Whilst the alerts are nice for some the additional interest in an item does (either potentially or actually) spoil someone else’s purchase or bargain hunt.

Last edited:
This all sort of reminds me of the process for getting river permits for my rafting trips. Some of the most popular & coveted rivers in the western US put a limit on the number of groups that can launch each day. This is done to preserve the resource & prevent overcrowding. The permits are awarded by a random lottery. After the lottery, unclaimed or returned permits used to be released randomly, within 24 hours of them being returned. Someone who was diligent in checking the website multiple times a day, was often rewarded by snagging a cancelled permit. Now the cancelled permits are released once a day within a one hour time frame. Everyone on the planet who wants a cancellation knows exactly when to look & the fastest finger on the computer keyboard wins. I miss the searching & the random reward.

My last ukulele was the result of a random browsing of Reverb.

My last ukulele was the result of a random browsing of Reverb.

Mine too! Funnily enough, a result of a random eBay search throwing up a fantastic instrument at a fantastic price. It was a lot of fun! On the flip side, I like to see independent traders do well and so any extra money going to Mr Timms due to his product being of excellent quality and popular is well earned I think. I celebrate his success.

I’ve had one. I got it for £335. After Baz’s review the prices shot up. I am happy with my Wunderkammer. Similar idea but more versatile imo.

Good luck tho. Apart from the softer wood it’s the second best ukulele I’ve ever played. :)

Normally I wouldn’t upset the market but for those that it might interest here’s one for sale - at a buy it now price - that’s possibly a bit special and just £600 including a case : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ken-Timm...672220?hash=item2cd5fcbfdc:g:NtQAAOSwlgNbIjWY

I can’t be certain and perhaps I’m wrong but that particular seller seems to have a link to a popular reviewer ...... check the facts for yourself and make your own judgements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom