Ohana TK-50G with Worth Browns

mikhou

Reaction score
I don't post much, but I thought that I would chime in here. I just acquired an Ohana TK-50G (tenor uke with solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides). Prior to now, my only uke has been an Ohana CK-10S (concert uke with solid mahogany top and laminated mahogany back and sides). All that I have ever played on the CK-10S were Aquila Super Nylgut strings, and they sounded good to my untrained ear. When I received the TK-50G it was strung with the same strings, and it was quite brash. I liked the punchy sound and the string clarity, but the sound was just "in your face" brash. So I put some Worth Browns on it today, and, wow, what a difference in tone. It sounds SO different (and better). I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces and seeing how it responds over time. I think that next I'll try to Living Waters or some Oasis Warms on it.

mikhou

Last edited:
Yeah worth brown are very nice.. I had a similar experience with my Martin c1k and Mya Moe Beansprout. My cocobolo came with it and I reverted back to it after having tried a few different strings.

I don't post much, but I thought that I would chime in here. I just acquired an Ohana TK-50G (tenor uke with solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides). Prior to now, my only uke has been an Ohana CK-10S (concert uke with solid mahogany top and laminated mahogany back and sides). All that I have ever played on the CK-10S were Aquila Super Nylgut strings, and they sounded good to my untrained ear. When I received the TK-50G it was strung with the same strings, and it was quite brash. I liked the punchy sound and the string clarity, but the sound was just "in your face" brash. So I put some Worth Browns on it today, and, wow, what a difference in tone. It sounds SO different (and better). I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces and seeing how it responds over time. I think that next I'll try to Living Waters or some Oasis Warms on it.

mikhou

Congrats on your new uke and finding the right strings for it. On Saturday I got a Mainland reded cedar/rosewood tenor (pretty much the same uke as yours). I've never liked super nylgut strings, but I thought they sounded ok. When I restrung with Worth Browns, wow! IMNSHO, this is the perfect string for this uke. :)

Congrats on your new uke and finding the right strings for it. On Saturday I got a Mainland reded cedar/rosewood tenor (pretty much the same uke as yours). I've never liked super nylgut strings, but I thought they sounded ok. When I restrung with Worth Browns, wow! IMNSHO, this is the perfect string for this uke. :)

I was going between this Ohana and that exact Mainland. I just couldn't get past the rope binding. I don't care for it. I know, I know. It's all about the sound, but you need to think that your uke is purty, too. ;) In all honesty, if not for the rope binding, I likely would have gone Mainland because I found more online reviews about the Mainland.

I was going between this Ohana and that exact Mainland. I just couldn't get past the rope binding. I don't care for it. I know, I know. It's all about the sound, but you need to think that your uke is purty, too. ;) In all honesty, if not for the rope binding, I likely would have gone Mainland because I found more online reviews about the Mainland.

I agree, but get this. The Mainland has no side fretboard markers. Ack! It has a lot of rope binding. Ack! And mine happens to have gold hardware, which I hate, because the finish eventually wears and looks bad. Ack! But ... when I played the uke, it sounded so good I just had to have it. So on looks alone, I wouldn't have bought it. But that sound got me! And strangely enough, now I think it's a beautiful uke. :D

I've ordered some transfer side dots from Amazon, similar to what I put on my Hirade classical guitar back in the '70s. So much for having vowed I'd never buy an instrument w/o side dots ... or with lots of rope binding ... or with gold hardware ! :rofl:

Edit: Tuta (hope I spelled her name correctly) does an absolutely fabulous setup. There's not a sharp edge anywhere, and the action at the 12th fret is 2.25mm just like I like it. I met her and Mike at Mighty Uke Day this past weekend. Really nice people, and Mike made me a great deal on the uke and hard case. :)

Last edited:
IMO better for fingerstyle than strumming

I've already had that impression after just a few days. It fingerpicks well - clean, clear, and distinct. But I'll be strumming it quite a bit as well, I'm sure. ;)

But ... when I played the uke, it sounded so good I just had to have it. So on looks alone, I wouldn't have bought it. But that sound got me! And strangely enough, now I think it's a beautiful uke. :D

I just hope that when I do get a chance to play a Mainland that I don't regret my decision to go with the Ohana. ;)

I just hope that when I do get a chance to play a Mainland that I don't regret my decision to go with the Ohana. ;)

I believe the ukes are made in the same factory. Mainland does final assembly in Indiana, where they install the tuning machines, a pickup if you want it, and Tuta does her great setup. I think if you close your eyes and play each one, you probably can't tell the difference ... aside from normal sample variation. :)

I've already had that impression after just a few days. It fingerpicks well - clean, clear, and distinct. But I'll be strumming it quite a bit as well, I'm sure. ;)

I agree, it's particularly good for fingerstyle. But it sounds good strummed, too. Or you could always get yourself a mahogany one for strumming. :)

I agree, it's particularly good for fingerstyle. But it sounds good strummed, too. Or you could always get yourself a mahogany one for strumming. :)

While getting a solid mahogany for strumming would be nice, my guess is that my wife thinks that one new one at a time is enough. ;)

Last edited:
Hey this is an older thread - but I ordered a TK-50G from Mim the other day and it should ship to me next week!

I reviewed this thread before I ordered, so I optioned my Uke to have Mim put on the Worth Browns per the suggestions.
Strings can always be changed, but I figured might as well have Mim put them on when she sets up the Uke...

Hey this is an older thread - but I ordered a TK-50G from Mim the other day and it should ship to me next week!

I reviewed this thread before I ordered, so I optioned my Uke to have Mim put on the Worth Browns per the suggestions.
Strings can always be changed, but I figured might as well have Mim put them on when she sets up the Uke...
Probably a good choice to start with.

I got my TK-50G from Mim last week and I like the sound of the Worth Browns on the Uke so far. Still stretching and settling in as I have only had the Uke out for brief periods over a small amount of days but I think it sounds pretty good with these strings.

One thing I noticed is the TK50G I got, and looking back at Mim's other stock of this model, is the bridge has through the top strings rather than a tie bridge, so apparently Ohana changed the bridge on this model. If you look at prior pictures around the internet the TK50G had a tie bridge.

Looks like a production change has occurred as far as the bridge on these models. Makes a nice neat appearance. I really didn't take notice until I unboxed my Uke. I must not have been paying attention when I selected my Uke from the stock. I like the look. We'll see how I like it when it comes time to change the strings, but I don't think that will be too difficult - just a little different procedure.

Interesting design change, I like it! Always liked the looks of these too, but then, I'm a cedar top fan.

Here's another at Mim's, also with the thru-string bridge.

I have a similar Ohana cutaway tenor but with a spruce top. The low tension Uke Logic high g strings are the best I've tried yet. Easy on the fingers and very clean sound.

The Ohana TK-50G was the second ukulele I owned. I bought it 5 years ago at a local music store. I compared it to a similarly priced Mainland they had and liked the sound of the Ohana better. Both had Nylon strings when I tried them. It needed a setup when I got it. The strings were pretty high. It had a tie bridge at that time.

I later put Martin M620 Fluorocarbons on. The sound was better. I tried Worth Browns, they were a touch too warm for me. Then I used Living Waters on it and they gave it a very sweet sound. I experimented with the Aquila Sugars and they sounded nice, but I don't like the fat strings compared to Fluorocarbons. I believe I put Worth Clears on it before I sold it. They were a little brighter than the Browns.

It's a nice, easy-to-play tenor with a warm sound. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom